12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Vt. Anti-smoking

I:)skiing
This post was updated on .
New signs at the base of the K-1.      

"Don't be surprised to find VT police (not mountain security) at the top of the K1, they are policing State anti-smoking policy, when the gondi doors open, there better not be a cloud of smoke!"   I honestly don't know how they will have any powers beyond searching the cabin riders for pot.   Even if a rider has cigarettes, that is not enough probable cause to arrest or fine.   One cannot force your friends to turn you in.  If you and your friends/cabin riders remain silent, I don't think there is anything anyone can do.      

I don't smoke, I don't mind if others do.   However if you do, be sure and open the windows.  I bet wireless smoke detectors and video cameras are next.   New small town revenue source for local cops and/or civil penalties to subsidize snow guns or lower ticket prices.      AKA--$250-500 dollar "service charge" that hotels advertise to delouse your hotel room if you get caught smoking there.    

On another note:  Just did 7 days at Kmart/Pico----lots of snow and good conditions.    
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Vt. Anti-smoking

MC2 5678F589
I:)skiing wrote
On another note:  Just did 7 days at Kmart/Pico----lots of snow and good conditons.
Pro Jam? I was there, too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Gotta love those new owners of Kmart. First they shut down the bumpfest with state police, now this. What a fun bunch they must be back in Mormonville. Maybe if they paid attention to when their land lease expires instead of being fuddy ruddy stick in the muds, they'd be a little happier.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Didn't they bring back the Bump Contest?
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Yes, but, the party is gone.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
In reply to this post by I:)skiing
I:)skiing wrote
 Even if a rider has cigarettes, that is not enough probable cause to arrest or fine.    
I do not think they are talking about cigs
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane

"Don't be surpised to find VT police (not mountain security) at the top of the K1, they are policing State anti-smoking policy, when the gondi doors open, there better not be a cloud of smoke!"

Or, in other words, open all windows and smoke early, extinguish materials when you reach, oh, mid cascade below. Thank You, come again, and, Happy Holidays!

Or, do edibles.

Mormons. Clueless.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
As a non-smoker (of either variety), I approve of this.

The only problem is if someone else previously smoked in your cabin, it will still smell of smoke for a while even with the windows down. It seems there could easily be a false accusation based on a lingering odor.

As a former K hater, I am on board with the way the new management has turned the place around. They've come a long way since the current ownership bought the place and started running it into the ground.

Want to smoke? Take a safety meeting in the woods instead of forcing it on other people in the gondi, which is just rude. Have all the fun you want, just don't negatively affect other people trying to have fun too, in their own way.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
riverc0il wrote
Want to smoke? Take a safety meeting in the woods instead of forcing it on other people in the gondi,
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
You're in a public place. It's disgusting and other don't want to breathe that crap in just because you do. If you want to smoke in a private place(cigs or weed) and not bother anyone that is your deal. But I shouldn't have to breathe in the odor and health effects of second hand smoke of that crap.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z

The first time I ever agreed with PA.  

PowderAssassin wrote
You're in a public place. It's disgusting and other don't want to breathe that crap in just because you do. If you want to smoke in a private place(cigs or weed) and not bother anyone that is your deal. But I shouldn't have to breathe in the odor and health effects of second hand smoke of that crap.

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
I agree that everyone who smokes should keep it to themselves.  I posted this topic to remark on the "state of the state" of riding.       Once the Po Po is invited to the hill--and I am sure they were--the nature of the sport is destined to change.  

Political ruse designed by politicians/goverment bodies:   Incrementalism----set a precedent where MOST people agree with your position such as no smoking in a gondi cabin.  Once you have a foot in the door and there is a comfort level, infect the rest to make your end game. Create new rules/fines to jusify your presence.  "We need to police smoking, but our fines are not paying the salary of Joe Cop,  we need more violations to charge".    

Speed cameras in school cross walks---who can argue?    Maryland now has them on 8 lane highways and  country roads where there are no homes, schools or other safty concerns.     The counties and towns want $ and it is in the millions.  

Safety belts---(I have worn one since 1990 religiously) This law passed as a secondary offense. "its a secondary offense, we cannot pull you over", don't worry.  Two years later a bill was slipped in over night, its now primary and used to pull you over for any reason, "we did not see you wearing your seatbelt, even though you were;   now lets just you drop your pants, drop em, taken em right off, squeel like a pig"   7 cops set up in my 1 light town every Saturday afternoon to collect $75.00 tickets, cameras, binoculars, one weekend they rented a cherry picker.    

2040 coming to a ski areas near you:   Slow zones with speed cameras and a hefty $200 fine.   $2,500 for skiing out of bounds. Riding on unlicensed/registered gear $300.   Snow blades:$550 and a night in jail.  State inspection and licensing  of gear, $15/device.   Right turns free, left turns $30.

Lets enjoy our cooler packed beverages on the Gore patio while we can.