WF Closing Date 2016?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

WF Closing Date 2016?

ADmiKe
I was going to go up to WF this weekend - but due to some conflicts and the weather outlook (not very spring like temps, r*in to start the weekend) I'm thinking of holding out until next weekend.

Main objective is to go to pond skimming which I've never witnessed, and to ski some soft corn in warm temps and sun.
Last few seasons...last trips for me were full blown winter temps in late March. Kinda weird. No "spring" skiing for me in a while.  Seems to be shaping up this way again.  Could help preserve the snow for the weekend of the 8th though.

What's the deal on closing date?  Any of you local guys heard any rumors if they will be open next weekend (9th/10th)?  Maybe that's already the official date?

Pond skim should be interesting Sunday looking at the temps...maybe a re-schedule for next weekend

Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: WF Closing Date 2016?

raisingarizona
Pond skimming and freezing temps? No thanks, I can't afford that kind of public shrinkage.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Just saw this morning via facebook that they moved it to next weekend.

I guess that means they are open next weekend. sweet.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
Anyone know if they will be open this coming Monday and Tuesday?
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

Any tips from former Pond Skimmers regarding the best technique to make it across the pond? Will be participating in the event for 1st time next weekend if I can make it up there. Really don't want to hit the drink if I can help it!
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I think everyone ends up in the water their first time.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Not true! ^^^

Tip #1 -- go fast
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

Had a feeling it was all about going in hot. Guessing water skis aren't permitted, lol!
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Fat POW skis will work great
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Never thought of that.  I think that's the key to making it across.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Jon951
you cant get enough speed on water skis - I've seen it tried and it never works

the best more reliable way to get all the way across is consistently a pair of ski jumping skis - those guys almost always make it across
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

Actually went on Craigslist to source beater pair of Pow skis. Nothing available for cheap. Guess next move is EvilBay or take two pair of beater skis from my retired collection and bust out the West Systems epoxy and cloth and make one wide pair!

Times ticking, so I better bet cracking sooner than later. I have a feeling conditions are gong to be so bad next weekend, getting up to speed to make it across may not even be possible without a jet pack strapped to one's back.

Will prob bail after I see the first few competitors take the plunge.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
WF website says tentative 4/3 closing date with possibility of opening 4/9 and 4/10.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
After skiing yesterday I'd say that is correct.  It was pretty ugly.  I skied to 11 and then went to play golf.  Summit is toast.  Mt run was down to ground up chunks of frozen gran over prema ice base.  Only decent skiing was off the face lift.  They did miracles to get it as good as it was.

It was not good enough to go back today.  I'm done time to move on to golf for me.  Drinking coffe and reading the paper - it's almost like I'm a normal person that doesn't ski this morning.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
and now for a completely different view...I skied all day yesterday and thought it was outstanding.  Once wilderness softened it was my favorite and I continued to lap it...from the top, because ducking the rope was easier and you didn't have to ski across rocks and grass (and the longer lift ride gave my legs a break).  Wilderness probably won't make it until next week but Mountain Run and Thruway will...always have the luxury of downloading the Gondi.  Nice to see a large Gore contingent there   didn't ski today because it was winter again  
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Outstanding?

Pretty much everyone I spoke to thought it sucked as well.  I could see you giving it a 2 instead of a 1 on a 10 scale but outstanding would be like at least an 8.  Goes to show this season has definately lowered our standards.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
well you didn't talk to me   beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  
I'll be back
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Sorry
Didn't realize you were a Gore skier
We have higher standards up North
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
I skied WF today and thought that it was great!  (Relatively speaking of course).  There was a very light snow much of the day and it was cold enough that I took a break to warm up, something that I very rarely do.

And for the record I'm a Gore skier too and there is no doubt that my standards are lower this year but that said I am very glad that I made the drive up and I'm really hoping that they're open next weekend too.

Like everyone else I'm very disappointed in this season but I still got to ski so that makes me happy.  I'm trying to stay on the positive side and I'm already looking forward to next season!
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Hey Coach no worries and yes I have very low standards...but I did love Saturday and could not get enough of Wilderness both upper and lower.  I will be up this weekend if they open...if not I might hike Gore.  When I was younger I used to say that the older I got the longer my skis were going to get...new technology allows us to rip on shorter skis.  As long as my body holds up I will continue to enjoy trees and bumps...when my back and knees finally give out and all I can do is cruise...I'll ski Whiteface more often.  I actually rediscovered WF when I was rehabbing my torn ACL
I'll be back