WF facebook marketing has ended???

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

WF facebook marketing has ended???

ausable skier
I'm not totally versed in Facebook but does anyone have an idea why WF is not accepting friend requests.  Jay Peak and others are using Facebook to great affect.  Is it that Orda does not want to pay Facebook something for the privlege???

If you know more about how facebook works - please educate me

I got the below back from WF on facebook

Between You and Whiteface Mountain

I’m sorry to say that we are no longer able to accept friend requests, so I can see your request but I am not able to add you to our friends list, to stay in contact with us search “Whiteface” and look for our fan page or go to www.whiteface.com and click the facebook icon at the top of the page.

Thanks,
Evan

Whiteface Lake Placid
www.whiteface.com
.Share.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: WF facebook marketing has ended???

Highpeaksdrifter
I'm no facebook expert either, but I think it's because each account is allowed up to 5,000 friends. WF exceeded that awhile ago so they created a fan page.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Facebook was originally designed as a way for people to connect with each other.  It was not designed as a marketing vehicle for companies to communicate with customers.  

Facebook personal pages have a limit of 5000 friends.

A few years ago FB reacted to the fact that companies were using the platform for marketing by creating "fan" pages. There is no limit to the number of fans a company can have. The problem was that there was no easy way to migrate from a regular page to a fan page. Do you start from scratch? Do you post a note on your regular page asking people to "fan" your new page? PITA.

I think that is why there are two Whiteface FB pages. One called Whiteface and one called Whiteface Mountain. It looks like Whiteface Mountain hit the limit and they added a fan page called Whiteface.

Very recently - in the last month or so - FB has devised a solution to this.

The Harvey Road FB page is the traditional FB type page. While it does have limitations, (friend limits and less functionality) I thought it suited us better.  It's kind of a hybrid between the NYSkiBlog page, and my own page.

If you are interested in get NYSkiBlog news via Facebook, go to our page and "like" us:

http://www.facebook.com/NYSkiBlog
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by ausable skier
I hope you old coots don't break your hips when you finally figure out how to click on a "like" button.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
So is Jay peak's FB the new type for businesses?

I have to say they do an awesome job with their FB advertising.  They post specials like $39 for lunch and lifts the last few weekends of the season.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Jay also has both. When you search for Jay Peak in Facebook, the newer type of page will say Jay Peak with a smaller "company" below it. You can just click on that and then like it.

Jay does a great job with their social media marketing (and marketing in general. That interview with Steve Wright was great, fellas. Thank you.) They are comparable to a lot of mountains out West in that regard and sometimes even better. (Are you reading this Gore and Whiteface? )
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

fahz
I "liked"  Whiteface some time ago and find they post deals, news, updates, etc.  In general I think they do a good job at marketing on fb.  I find most mountains have a presence some handle it better than others but I'm not connected to the mountains out west so maybe they do better?
11/25, 1/28, 4/6 Okemo; 12/03, 3/4, 4/7 Stratton; 12/10 - Skiing Santas, 1/15, 3/10 Whiteface; 12/22, 3/3 Gore; 12/26 Snow Ridge; 12/28 Stratton; 1/20 Mt Sunapee; 1/21 Pico; 2/3 Killington; 2/7, 3/7 Windham; 2/16 Eldora; 2/17, 2/18, 2/20 Winter Park; 2/19 Steamboat; 2/21 Copper; 3/11 Jiminy Peak; 3/17 Bromley; 3/25, 4/8 Belleayre; 3/31 Hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

Farthin5
Banned User
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by ausable skier
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
As long as you "Like" (click the thumbs up symbol) the main Whiteface Facebook page (should be first hit when you search) you'll receive all their updates in your news feed (you can even further select to have pages you like get priority in your news feed).

WF has been posting updates regularly, as well as posting on Instagram (which sometimes double posts the same thing on Facebook, they can be somewhat linked).

Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.