classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
106 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WF lifts and wind

Noah John
x10003q wrote
It is funny to read a comment about dropping off "loads of  beginners and intermediates onto expert only terrain" when there is a high capacity Gondola dropping off at the same place.

The gondola doesn't drop people at the top of Mountain Run.  

Here's an idea:  If you're gonna pop your mouth off about something, try to know a little about the subject matter.  It makes it so much more interesting for the reader.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by x10003q
Your greens are our parking lots.   Off of the gondola  intermediate have an awesome way down.  What are you supposed to do?  Whiteface is a mountain not a foot hill.   Funny how the teli guys kid never did rumor.  One trip to whiteface the next day he is on Rumor.  Whiteface is certainly a harder hill for beginners and intermediates..but the old adage still hold true.  You get out of it what you put into it.

Praise for hoyts.  Yeah  the winch cats come with 3,000 feet of cable, the trail is longer than that.  
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
x10003q wrote
It is funny to read a comment about dropping off "loads of  beginners and intermediates onto expert only terrain" when there is a high capacity Gondola dropping off at the same place.

Here's an idea:  If you're gonna pop your mouth off about something, try to know a little about the subject matter.  It makes it so much more interesting for the reader.
Here is an idea - learn how to read. Last time I checked there are no blue trails at the top Mountain Run.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
You lunch packers need to spend more time in the bar
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
In reply to this post by ausable skier
Have to agree, AU, WF needs to do something about getting a more wind friendly lift to keep a good chunk of the hill accessible on those inevitably windy day. After Sat 2/16 I think they also need to figure out how to keep the existing lifts operating. Neither the Little WF chair or the Mountain Run chair were running all morning Saturday. With the holiday crowd it really created back ups at all the other lifts except the Wilmington Chair. Gave the Racer chair a try around noon to try and get a quick shot at Mountain Run. Quick was my hope but the chair stopped 8 times, no kidding, 8 times on the way up. As I was heading out of the lodge around 1pm I heard an anouncement that they were opening one of the 2 chairs that had been down all am. Conditions on the hill were excellent, Hoyts being groomed was a blast.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
Noah John wrote
x10003q wrote

Here is an idea - learn how to read. Last time I checked there are no blue trails at the top Mountain Run.

I read just fine.  Here's the instant replay:

ScottyJack wrote

And in conclusion to the Charlie Bright Lights idea of a quad to the top of Mtn Run.  All time most stupid idea in the history of stupid ideas.  Really, A quad to dump loads of beginners and intermediates onto expert only terrain?  

In response to which you jumped in:

x10003q wrote

"The same place" you refer to had to be the "top of Mtn. Run" scotty referred to, no?  Otherwise, WTF are you babbling about?
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
My Bad
Noah John wrote
x10003q wrote
Noah John wrote
x10003q wrote

I read just fine.  Here's the instant replay:

ScottyJack wrote

And in conclusion to the Charlie Bright Lights idea of a quad to the top of Mtn Run.  All time most stupid idea in the history of stupid ideas.  Really, A quad to dump loads of beginners and intermediates onto expert only terrain?  

In response to which you jumped in:

x10003q wrote

"The same place" you refer to had to be the "top of Mtn. Run" scotty referred to, no?  Otherwise, WTF are you babbling about?
That is stupid.

I was refering to replacing LWF double with a FGQ (with midstation) to the top of LWF. I was unable to process a quad replacing the MR double hence my reaction.

I also think you know what I meant......
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Yeah I ski cross country, not alpine.  But I can't help putting my $0.02 in.  I've roller skied the WF toll road and been stopped in my tracks by high wind 300 meters below the castle. I can't imagine riding a lift when it's 10 F and blowing 50 mph.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
my son got a chuckle from everyone sunday - he clipped in and tucked off the gondola for about 15 yards then stood up and spread out, got blown backwards to right where he started  
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by endoftheline
endoftheline wrote
 Neither the Little WF chair or the Mountain Run chair were running all morning Saturday. With the holiday crowd it really created back ups at all the other lifts except the Wilmington Chair.
yea i saw 'em working on the lift all morning - i thought that was worse and had more impact than sunday's wind holds. if i were the whining type i'd probably start there
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
How many days a year does Whiteface operate (as a ski area)? How many days a year are there wind holds? What's the percentage? Does it really make sense to spend a boat-load of money to account for what is probably something on the order of 10-20% of the operating days, with no guarantees that it will even help?

There were wind-holds ALL OVER the Northeast yesterday. On the 11:00 news on WPTZ they did a story from Bolton Valley, VT, whose main lifts were on wind hold yesterday. In the story, they mentioned that this was not limited to just one or two areas ... it was everywhere.

Weather problems can really suck ... everyone knows it, but it's a part of skiing that we can't control. It sucks even worse when it happens during the busiest periods.

Two years ago I went to Utah in early January and it was unbelievable. One year later, I took the same trip at the same time and it completely sucked ... everything was brown. There were a handful of groomed trails open, and that was about it. Should I have been bitching up a storm that all the Utah ski areas should put snowmaking on 100% of their trails?

It's time to put your big boy pants on and just get over it.

As for all the talk about Gore operating without problems ... good for you!!!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
uh ...ok  sheesh you wf guys are a little sensitive, and whats pants got to do with it?
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
gorgonzola wrote
uh ...ok  sheesh you wf guys are a little sensitive, and whats pants got to do with it?
Sorry ... I didn't mean to reply to your post ... I clicked the wrong link ... I was responding to the thread overall.

I actually agree with your post ... if you're going to complain about something, complain about something that management CAN do something about, like proper preventive maintenance on lifts, etc., plowing parking lots before people arrive, doing a better job of grooming, etc. Those are things they can control ... weather, not so much.

It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Face4Me wrote
Sorry ... I didn't mean to reply to your post ... I clicked the wrong link ... I was responding to the thread overall.
This is actually a problem with forum software that we are trying to fix. It happens when the reply moves the thread to another page.  Sorry for the confusion.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
Harvey Road is like fantasy football for wannabe Directors of Mountain Operations.
Ha!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Noah John wrote
...fantasy football for wannabe Directors of Mountain Operations.
LOL. True.

Not to get too technical but Harvey Road is really the blog, which I am (mostly) responsible for the editorial content.  I think I do a decent job of seeing the operations side of things.  I also have to admit that that was not always true.

Back in January 2010 I went into Mike Pratt's office all pissed off about some stupid thing.  It was my intention to be heard, but instead, oddly, I listened.

I found Mike to be really open about a lot of things.  I also learned a ton.  The biggest lesson I learned is that there are so many moving parts in a ski area that the average skier has no way of grasping it all, without an explanation.

Why the hell do you only blow on two trails at once?  

Because that's the way to get the most total snow out of the budget.

Why are you renovating the Lohr Cafe when the LWF chair needs to be replaced T2B?

Because that money is earmarked for that purpose only.

Or whatever.  There is always a reason and often, very often, it's a good one.

That's not to say that GMs don't make mistakes.  The difference is that when I make a mistake 50,000 passionate skiers aren't watching me, evaluating me and posting on the internet about it.

One thing Mike gets, and Bruce did too... those emotional, crazy, complaining psycho-skiers are customers - the key to success. So they smile, and do the best they can to make everyone happy - ORDA, employees, and skiers.

I've been hammered plenty for defending GM stuff that people think is stupid. Often I know stuff I can't repeat, and in those instances I should probably just keep my mouth shut.

Last thing: It's the nature of ski forums to give GMs advice. It's not exclusive to NY Ski Forums.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
In reply to this post by Face4Me

There's a t-shirt they used to sell at Seaside Heights down the Jersey shore before Sandy trashed the boardwalk. It read "Sh_t Happens" Wind holds, lifts going down, your car blowing up on the way to the mountain...Sh_t Happens. Based on my 39 yr. ski career, the good continues to overwhelm the bad. Sure, I have been at WF with -52, -68, and -102 windchill temps at base, mid and top. Of course this can happen from time to time, but doesn't happen every day of the season. Think of the 35 degree bluebird mid-week days at WF or Gore. No better place to be IMHO.

"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

p.s.....I asked my kids to buy me the shirt for my birthday for many years...never got it!
"Feets fail me not"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
Last thing: It's the nature of ski forums to give GMs advice. It's not exclusive to NY Ski Forums.
VOC = Voice of the customer.  My company spends a lot of time and money collecting VOC.  Its pretty cool that Aaron and Mike Pratt just need to log onto this site and they can get all the VOC that they want (and probably some that they don't).

My wife said she had never seen it as windy at Kids Kampus when she was teaching today. The Bunny Hutch chair was swaying.  Its usually pretty sheltered over there. I took my private client there on Monday when it was brutal on the Bear chair and it was so much better at Kids Kampus.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Coach Z wrote
Aaron
From what I've seen, Aaron listens. Good quality.