Wallowa Alpine Huts-Oregon

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wallowa Alpine Huts-Oregon

K man
We have a group of 10 heading out for a week of back country skiing with Wallowa Alpine Huts, in northeastern Oregon.  We are heading in to the McCully basin yurt camp.  We are mostly a free heel group, but do have an AT skier in the pack.  Check them out at  http://www.wallowahuts.com/
We will also be checking out Anthony Lakes Ski Area, a small but supposedly awesome place.  900' of vertical, but 1,100 acres and 42% expert, with back country access gates and cat skiing accessing another 2,000 acres.  Might be the Hickory of Oregon   http://www.anthonylakes.com/pin/
We'll report back when we return.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wallowa Alpine Huts-Oregon

sudsnbumps
I just read about them...I am so jealous and trying to figure out how I can work it in.  Have a great trip!
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by K man
Kman sounds like a good time enjoy ,lookin forward to hearing about it when you get back
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
I was just thinking about the tele-teachers I know going to Wallawa this week. I'm sure you all are gettin some good powder!
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Got back late last night.  I'll put a TR together as soon as we find the camera, download photos, unpack stinky ski gear, etc.  All I can say is "unbelievable".  The Wallowa Mountains are fantastic.  It snowed almost continually, ranging from knee deep windblown powder to arm pit deep blower pow.  The yurts were a bit more rustic than anticipated, but the skiing made up for it.  More to come when I catch up with the real world.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
While we are waiting to have our video TR completed, here's a couple shots from the rare time we saw the sun.  this shot is of me and Hickorymartha in McCully Basin on our last day in the BC.

Here's Hickorymartha churning up for another run.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Man that looks beautiful. (!)

PM me if you need help with the video embed.  It's best to load it too Facebook or Youtube and then use embed code.

I can walk you through it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
In reply to this post by K man
What a cute couple!!

Can't wait for the TR!!
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
We have hardly any shots of actual skiing.  It was snowing too hard most of the time, and the guides did not want us stopping when skiing the steep chutes due to avy danger.  So expect alot of people shots, yurt shots and shots of it puking snow.