MC2 5678F589
I'm going.

Anyone else?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Warren Miller @ Palace Theater in Albany tonight

Johnnyonthespot
We're doing the Tarrytown one on the 21st.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
I was st the Friday show.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Warren Miller movies getting extremely formulaic.

Also, they use the same footage over and over and over again. "People slipping on ice at Hunter" has been in like 15 movies at this point.

And the editing is garbage. The few times they showed full runs (like that Chamonix footage) it was sweet, but most of it was just snap cuts from one turn to a sponsor's name to some shitty stem Christie turn from the 1950s back to another single turn by a racer. Just fucking weird.

And the music is such lame fucking dad music.

It's such a corporate product now. Only thing good is the free tickets.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
Agree music was horrible only thing I liked besides free tickets was first segment with Glen Plake. Heli skier with big tricks don’t interest me. Rather watch u tube vids of amateurs skiing places I want to ski in the future. Went to the Binghampton show this year, daughter lives close.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Warren Miller movies getting extremely formulaic.

Also, they use the same footage over and over and over again. "People slipping on ice at Hunter" has been in like 15 movies at this point.

And the editing is garbage. The few times they showed full runs (like that Chamonix footage) it was sweet, but most of it was just snap cuts from one turn to a sponsor's name to some shitty stem Christie turn from the 1950s back to another single turn by a racer. Just fucking weird.

And the music is such lame fucking dad music.

It's such a corporate product now. Only thing good is the free tickets.
Getting formulaic? Haha! You haven’t been paying attention! It was the same formula over and over again during the 80’s.
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Saw it last Tuesday in Saratoga Springs.  It was in a bar so I didn't pay alot of attention, but it didn't look or sound very appealing.
Reply | Threaded
|

SnowSnake
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
I wish they would bring back the old formula including shooting something on the east coast and having some fun in the films.  The new formula is too corporate too much heli and too little on how much fun skiing can be.  

Thank goodness for the ski ticket give aways or I would no longer attend what used to be my favorite event of the fall...
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
SnowSnake wrote
I wish they would bring back the old formula including shooting something on the east coast and having some fun in the films.
Agree.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
the clutch bit was a little funny, I agree with all above -  the plake and chamonix segments were good but's kind of hard to mess up either of those though... music was bad. I didn't think it was as bad as previous years with the product placements but maybe i'm just getting de-sensitized...
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Packed house last night in Tarrytown. Caite Zeliff was there. Not sure who the other girl was that mc'd the intermission. Good vibes could be felt. Stoke was high. They had a small bar.
Raffled off a pair of RTM's or something, a season pass to Smuggs? I missed a lot because I was too busy clicking approximately 480 times on my phone to enter my birthday. What a retarded setup that was. Their qr code didn't work with droid devices so you had to go to the website and enter info/take a survey. Raffle was at intermission. I'll likely do it again next year.

I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
How’d you do on lift tickets?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Early season or Bogo for WF, Bell, Sugarbush, Smuggs, Kton, JH, and a half off for Windham. Also some multi day & Lodging discounts for Big Sky.

I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

gefiltephish
I went to the Palace Theater / Albany showing last week. Bought the $38/person ticket (includes $13/person Ticketmaster 'fees') largely for the ticket deals. As an IKON passer, I will def. use the closer to home (mid Hudson Valley) deals for Belleayre, Windham, Gore,  plus maybe Smuggs 2 for 1, and day #6 if needed at Sugarbush. So the $38 was worth it, Palace Theater looks beautiful, def. wanna catch concert there soon! Stayed to intermission only, then continued northward to a friends' up by Gore.

The film features cool footage from a bunch of iconic spots (Alaska, Chamonix) with a hyper-edited, heli-camed, dub-step driven vibe. Highlight reel versus any sort storytelling in terms of person or place. Yay to Plank appearance! Blatant product placement with the whole squad on Volkl skis, Helly jackets, word for word resort promos, etc. Pretty off-putting vibe film-wise for me, but I was happy to attend, cash in on pass deals, and hoot with the crowd for sick lines and gnarly crashes