26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Warren Millers new book

Harvey
Administrator
mattchuck2 wrote
Also, I hate the editing of the ski scenes. I just want to see a nicely put together run, but with all the cuts and scene switching, it's like it was put together by someone with severe ADD. I'm watching someone ski some sweet arcs, but before he gets two turns in, it cuts to an air from somewhere else on the mountain, then it cuts to a lifestyle shot, then to a shot showing one turn next to a tree, then to a shot of the sun over the mountain, then back to a different line. It was driving me crazy.
This is exactly how I feel about rock videos. If the musician is good enough to listen to, I want to see him play and make music.  Skiing even moreso. It's a physical art form.  That's why I hate POV, you don't get to see skiing.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
I saw it in Saratoga last weekend. I liked the segments with Warren, but the rest of the movie was weak.

Nobody wants to hear these athletes speak as much as the Producers of these movies think they do. They have nothing to say, and some of the lines were cringeworthy (or so dumb that they were hilarious).

Also, I hate the editing of the ski scenes. I just want to see a nicely put together run, but with all the cuts and scene switching, it's like it was put together by someone with severe ADD. I'm watching someone ski some sweet arcs, but before he gets two turns in, it cuts to an air from somewhere else on the mountain, then it cuts to a lifestyle shot, then to a shot showing one turn next to a tree, then to a shot of the sun over the mountain, then back to a different line. It was driving me crazy.
You're not wrong there, MC. I wasn't quite as put off by it as you but the skiing in the first half of the film in particular was the way you say. I would have liked to see some better footage if the Montana stuff in particular. The interviews with Warren alone were worth the admission for me though. He is an inspiration.
I'm watching an old Dick Barrymore film now. They don't make them like that anymore.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Agreed the warren and stein segments were cool, as was Switzerland, the rest - especially the Greenland l.l. bean commercial was meh. Didn't know that many people drank Moosehead either lol. Still a stoke builder and great to see the winter friends again
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Haha, I forgot about the Moosehead. Saw them drinking it in the Alaska segment and wondered why they'd drink such a lame beer, then realized later in the movie, when they brought it out again, that it was a sponsor.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
I saw it in Albany last night. I agree with Matt.
It's pretty obvious that it was a low budget production compared to the movies years ago.  The Switzerland stuff was pretty thin,more on the train than on the mountain, and even the Greenland stuff looked liked most of the footage was at the airport. It's like they could spend the time to set up long ski sequences so they pieced together a bunch of set up park tricks,  The insurance company must have gotten to them because there was no plummeting off cliffs,but lots of archive footage. Nissan was gone as a sponsor, no one was wearing the latest Helly Hansen gear so maybe that has something to do with it. The intermission give-aways were almost worthless.  I think the ski movie world has moved past WM.
I really enjoyed seeing Warren Miller and Stein again, in a sad kind of way.  I probably would have enjoyed the last scene more if I was still doing drugs.
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
A photog buddy of mine used to call it Boring filler.

I've seen a few WM movies over the last 12 or so years, the local ski team shows them or they did. There were good ones and bad ones. There was one maybe three or so years ago that I thought was one of the best produced ski movies that I had ever seen.

The cutting clips way too quickly has become sort of standard for WM. It makes the viewer feel robbed imo.