West Mountain Conditions (2011-2012)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: West Mountain Conditions

tBatt
One of the kids in my class said that they aren't making any snow for the rest of the year. He works there, so I would think he knows what he is talking about.

Then again, he seems to be a kid full of interesting, false facts.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
I heard something similar on the lift at Gore last week, that West has the right to tap into the Hudson River for water only into late January.  
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Haha this kid was also positive that they don't draw water from the Hudson for snowmaking.

He's also very positive about his wrong facts.
Reply | Threaded
|

$17 / $25 Lift Tix at West for the rest of the season

Adk Jeff
Conditions at West have generally been pretty crappy the Weds evenings I've skied this winter, but last week's new snow improved surfaces substantially and should help extend the season at least a little.  I skied there last Wednesday night and again Thursday morning as the storm was finishing up.  I'll be going again tomorrow night, and will give an update.

Note that 5-hour lift tickets are now $17 midweek and $25 on weekends for the rest of the season.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
This post was updated on .
They stopped grooming Monday nights, so today was AWFUL. MC2 ended class an hour early, saying it was too dangerous (see: shitty).

The freeze-thaw cycles gave them quite a beating.
They did have a car warming up when we left, though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Tomorrow should be quite good during daylight hours with sunshine and temps pushing 50.  It's a roll of the dice for the evening.  I should be arriving just as surfaces begin to tighten up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by tBatt
We lucked out last night: temps stayed well above freezing all night.  Fun spring conditions.  But the base isn't deep enough to withstand day after day of 50-degree temps.  I'd look for a closing just after St Patty's day.  If you've got a pass or 6-pack tix, use 'em when the sun shines.