This post was updated on .
adkmike's latest video...

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: West Mountain Conditions

adkmike
Thanks for posting the video Harvey............. I did the breakfast special this morning, Mar 10,2011, 5 inches of new (very wet) snow that changed to rain at about 10:30 am. I have to say that West has the best Bacon & Egg sandwich going, bar-none!
Reply | Threaded
|

ski2moro
In reply to this post by Harvey
I headed out to West Mountain this morning.  The Summit Chair was the only one in operation, providing skiers with access to the nicest Spring snow I have seen all season. I was told that the Triple will be open on the weekend for more terrain.

Everything that was in the sun had softened nicely by 9.  I only skied until 12, but the soft Spring corn was so sweet.  There were not many people there, so it didn't get pushed into piles.  Hero Snow!  There were only a few thin places, despite the warm temps and rain in the past week.  Coverage and grooming is excellent. They can't be making a profit these days with so few skiers, but they are spinning the lifts for the diehard.  We need to get up there and show West the love.

Do you know that they have reduced the prices?  $6 Lift Tickets... get an hour of skiing/riding for $6! 2Hours- $12, 3 Hours- $18, 4 Hours- $24, and the conditions are fantastic.   Hours: Midweek 8:30am-7pm and Saturday 8:30am-6pm.

I bought a season pass for next year and it is valid for the rest of this year (10/11) as well.  I plan to do some more night skiing close to home next year.

Go West!
If you are having fun, you are doing it right.
Reply | Threaded
|

SnowflakeADK
Pics from today at West.  Taken with cell camera and not aritistic. What can I say? I was too busy skiing!!

Base area

Summit

Somewhere along Frolic

Can you believe....APRIL 7TH!! As far as the report...Ski2moro covered it well. :o)  
Big THANK YOU to West Mtn for keeping it alive and offering such a great deal! Especially when my "home" mtn is closed for biz during the week! Thats another thread though. :o) If you live close enough go over and take a few runs, show them your support and ENJOY this gift Mother Nature has given us.  

I would have stayed much longer, but my ski time today was limited.  I suppose welcoming your son home from Iraq trumps a ski day, right? LOL

Ok, I hesitantly add this video.  It makes me laugh a bit and captures my "WOOOOOOOOOOO" moment skiing on my "new to me" Auras (wms Mantra).  I love this ski!  It will take some getting use to though.
Disclaimer: I have never implied that I am a good skier....what I lack in skills I make up for in HEART!

Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Keith
SnowflakeADK wrote
Ok, I hesitantly add this video.  It makes me laugh a bit and captures my "WOOOOOOOOOOO" moment skiing on my "new to me" Auras (wms Mantra).  I love this ski!  It will take some getting use to though.
Disclaimer: I have never implied that I am a good skier....what I lack in skills I make up for in HEART!
The best skiers on the mountain are the ones with the biggest smiles!  
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
In reply to this post by Harvey
I was there last night for a couple of hours.  Great conditions and empty slopes.  Those two hours really helped my frame of mind and I thanked them for opening up for us nut cases who just can't get enough.  I'm away for the weekend but I hope they're open next week so I can get a few more days in.
Reply | Threaded
|

ski2moro
If you are having fun, you are doing it right!
If you are having fun, you are doing it right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Yea, Snowflake was speedie quick! And she's got new skis. That's always a way cool feeling.

Just rode my bike past West Mtn. There was 40 or so cars in the parking lot.

Sidenote, this time of year there is all kinds of litter along the road. It's sad. What is wrong with people? Dinks.

On the other hand, I've found $12 roadside so far this spring. Woo Hoo! Hehehe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Geez, 12 bucks! I need to take up road biking!

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
From West tonight:

"T'was The Night Before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring not even a mouse. But up on West Mountain the snow guns are blasting as we prepare for a snowy white Christmas worth having! With the weather so cold it could nip at your nose, our snow makers trek through the trails like elves with big bows. For the day after Christmas, West Mountain will be open - and finally the spell of the ski drought will be broken!"
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
A few of us skied last night, and if you don't mind skiing under an arsenal of fan guns the snow is excellent.  It was a late start to the season for West (they opened on Dec 26), but the snowmaking crews are making up for lost time and putting down a quality product.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Press Release from West Mountain today.  Coupon is at the bottom.  Disclaimer: reports from Snowballs or anyone else that I am buying beer on Weds night are greatly exagerated.

West Mountain Press Release 1/9/12

Mountain Update and Forecast

Although Mother Nature has been unkind we’ve had another successful week here at West Mountain!  Our snowmakers have been making snow whenever possible to keep our skiers and riders happy despite the unseasonable temperatures.  It was great to see many familiar faces back on the hill for the start of our weekly lesson program last weekend and we were also happy to host Goldstock’s Demo Day.  We currently have 4 trails, 4 lifts, and 4 lanes of our tubing park in operation with machine groomed packed powder surface conditions and a base depth of 16-28 inches.  We will continue to make snow weather permitting and hope to open more terrain as soon as possible including the terrain park in its new location on the Banister.  Keep praying for snow, doing your snow dances, wearing your pajamas inside out and backwards, and doing whatever else you may do to conjure up a good old fashioned snow storm!

Deals

NIGHT SKIING- Don’t forget West Mountain is open for night skiing all week long with $17 lift tickets every Monday and Tuesday from 4pm-9pm and Wednesday is Locals’ Night so bring a friend and receive 2 lift tickets for $20 from 4pm-9pm with the attached coupon.  

LEARN TO SKI & SNOWBOARD MONTH- January is national Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month!  Tell your beginner friends and family about West Mountain’s Learn to Ski 3 Program which features 3 beginner lessons and equipment rentals for $75.

Upcoming Events

1/28: SPECIAL OLYMPICS- Come cheer on the athletes at our annual Special Olympics competition on January 28th from 8:30am- 3:00pm.  Events will include alpine, nordic, and snowshoe races.

Visit our website, Facebook, and Twitter pages for continuous snow updates, specials, and events and don’t forget to stop by the Westside Grille for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Pretty craptacular conditions last night:  FG over hardpack.  About as crowded as I've every seen on a Weds night, probably a factor of the limited open terrain.  Beer tasted good though.  Hopefully snow and a return to colder temperatures will translate to better conditions for next week.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Press release yesterday from West Mountain:

Now that the winter weather has finally arrived we’ve been able to make enough snow to open up the Triple Chair!  As of January 16th, we have 13 ski trails, 5 tubing lanes, and all of our lifts  in operation.  With the cold temperatures our snowmaking team  has been able to make snow around the clock and will continue  to do so until our terrain is open 100%...

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
What an outstanding day ! Corn, corn, corn and it stayed frozen all the bluebird day. Just perfect. Nice sunny, warm, higher sun angles were cool too.

I was just gonna go for a few hours but it was too good to leave. Mach had side to side corn and nooooobody skiing it. People left earlish so the rest of the hill stayed good. Alotta fun for a lil hill.

Gore tomorrow, hope it's rockin, too. Bet Face was sweet today.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Ice,Ice, some sugar, and more ice.

Lower Mach was skiing pretty well. That was about it really.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
fujative wrote
Ice,Ice, some sugar, and more ice.

Lower Mach was skiing pretty well. That was about it really.
Not so good Weds night.  I just posted an update, with some info on West's snowmaking outlook and discontinuation of their use of the SnowDag electronic ticketing system.  I'd like to get the behind-the-scenes story on that last item, it sounds like they are in some sort of dispute with the manufacturer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
I was at West today they were in the process of removing the ticket machines when I left. The lifty and another guy were chopping ice away frrom the base of them to be removed. Lifty said he heard the company went belly up ??? I'm old fashioned it just seemed easier without them. Skiing was good, fast and firm with alot of real nice groomed sections with great snow. other sections may have had fish under them.??? I had a good 4 hours in the fresh air and sunshine.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Hudsonhiker wrote
I was at West today they were in the process of removing the ticket machines when I left. The lifty and another guy were chopping ice away frrom the base of them to be removed. Lifty said he heard the company went belly up ??? I'm old fashioned it just seemed easier without them. Skiing was good, fast and firm with alot of real nice groomed sections with great snow. other sections may have had fish under them.??? I had a good 4 hours in the fresh air and sunshine.
Glad it was good today.  That's interesting about the RFID devices.  Is it the same RFID system that Jay uses? (SBR?... RiverCoil?...) I know that Hickory's RFID system is from the same manufacturer (SnowDag).