Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

West Mt March 7 2015

Z
This post was updated on .
My first time at West

I was not expecting much but I really enjoyed the skiing I did before and between runs in my sons race for NYS Finals for U12s.  This is better skiing than Bellearye was last yr for this same event.

I liked that the pitch while not steep was continuous so you really could ski the 1000 vert and feel like you were skiing and not piecing together shorter section or runs.  Everything us pretty much blue but the cruising was fun.  I liked the trail under the triple chair and the narrow tree lined trails between the two sections.  The lodge was small and packed with the big race.  I did eat lunch in the bar which appears to have been recently renovated.  Much nicer than I expected.

The problem us the lifts are old and super slow.  No issues even with the race in the morning but then at noon it seems the whole city of Glens Falls showed up.  I guess they sell a lift ticket that starts at noon.

The line for the old hall double stretched 100 yards back to the lodge.  Thankfully they got a tractor to pull a cart of us over to the race area.

The race was really well run and organized.  For some reason it then takes Nyssra 2 hours to post results and do the podiums.  Maybe it's in the contract so the ski area sells more beer.

My son had a solid top 10 finish against the best of NYS and was named to the state team for Easterns.

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: West Mt March 7

Snowballs
Banned User
Yeah Lil' Z !
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Nice!  Congrats, glad you liked the Mointain. I believe they're updating lifts next year, anyone know more?
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
 Well  done lil zman, !    

We may hit West,For the 3rd day of our Gore  trip next week . Its dirt cheap for me ..

heres hoping they do install upgraded lifts and at least put seatpads on that ass breaker triple chair
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
At the risk on getting Snoloco giving us a dissertation on lifts I agree that the Triple needs some padding.  The darn molded plastic was digging into my hamstring something awful

I think the double was a 1950 era Hall lift
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Congrats to your son.
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
At the risk on getting Snoloco giving us a dissertation on lifts I agree that the Triple needs some padding.  The darn molded plastic was digging into my hamstring something awful

I think the double was a 1950 era Hall lift
Coach,

The Summit Double has history that should be near and dear to the likes of Wilmington folks, such as yourself;  it's from Marble Mountain ("Old" WF- 1946/47, Gov. Harriman), purchased by Mike Brandt 1960/61 from NYS when the "New" Whiteface was developed.  Damn thing is older than almost all of us and can be somewhat temperamental, ditching the occasional rider who does not pay attention.  One chair detached just after being loaded back in '09/10, complete with a 12 year old girl.  No problem, sent the girl to the ER, she checked out fine, returned for the Slush Cup; fired up the lift (less one chair) within 1/2 hour. Damn the Torpedoes.  

I slid off the Triple in 1974 in my electric green/navy blue stripe race pants, really slick molded plastic with a frosty sheen will do that.  Another one of a kind lift that was had for cheap, kinda like the ADK Express @ Gore. You get what you pay for.

Ski you on the Slides, soon.