classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

West Point Victor Constant Ski Slope: 2/16/15

snoloco
This post was updated on .
This was supposed to be a Stowe Trip Report, but we postponed that trip due to extreme cold and wind.  Snodad was at work today so it was just me and snomom around.  I knew she wouldn't enjoy Mountain Creek since it was a holiday weekend, we also weren't feeling the drive to the cats to ski a cold, windy, crowded mountain.  We have known about the West Point Ski Area for a while.  However, until recently, it has been a private ski area for military personnel and their families.  This year it is open to the public midweek and this day counted as a midweek day.  We have wanted to check this area out and thought it would be a nice change in pace from the Mountain Creek/Hunter/Windham crowds.  We were right as the trails were never crowded and we never waited in a lift line.

The layout of the ski area is pretty simple with a triple chair serving 475 vertical and a handle tow serving a learning slope.  There are basically 3 trails.  One main slope to skiers right of the triple with a couple different ways down to choose from.  I don't consider the different ways down separate trails because they all merge right off of each other and can be skied in many different combinations.  There is a racing hill right under the triple chair, and an old school natural cover trail sans grooming to skiers right of the triple chair.

We arrived at the ski area at about 11:45.  At first only the main slope was open due to a race which blocked off access to the natural trail and the race hill.  My mom and I took a bunch of laps on the main slope and explored each way to go down.  Shortly after we had lunch, they opened the race trail and the natural trail.  We skied both of them as well and called it quits around 3:30.  The conditions were somewhat hard and fast due to cold and wind from yesterday, but all the snow was very edgeable and skied pretty good.  It was a fun day and was cool to hit a smaller place that is generally under the radar.  May have to do a faceforme style ski tour of some of the smaller places like he did last February.  There really are a ton of small mountains that few people know about in this state.

Here are my pictures.

View from base area.

The main slope.

Nice view of a race between the Army, Navy, and Cornell ski teams.

Looking down the main slope.

We were the first people down the race hill when they opened it up after the conclusion of the race.

Trail map.  It looks like 4 trails, but skis more like 3.

The ski area is located right next to the US Mint.

The natural trail.

Another picture of the natural trail.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: West Point Victor Constant Ski Slope: 2/16/15

Glade Runner
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Cool that's a place I never heard of.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bosco DaSkia
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Nice view of a race between the Army, Navy, and Cornell ski teams.

Dude, don't leave us hanging. Who won the race?

I'm just going to assume that Navy beat them pseudo Ivy Leaguers and them bean eatin' Army boys too.

Go Navy!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Army won the race according to snomom.  Greek Peak  was well represented as there were tons of Cornell skiers on the roster which I found on a table in the lodge.  I'm sure campgottagopee was happy about that.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
I see the Cornell Ski Team quite often at Greek. Some of those kids really rip!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
My daughter was going to race with them..she said they partied too much..i still think she should have..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Thanks for the report and getting the word out that civilians can ski there midweek. I have wanted to ski there for decades.

My son has raced against Cornell in the Mid East Collegiate Ski Conf. They always have good teams.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
How much pitch at the top, from the road it looks like a place you could have a good time.

On much older trailmaps you could see where badass dudes on straight skis actually ripped up the glades. Pretty cool.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
The trails all have decent pitch.  The lift climbs 475 vertical over a run of 3000 feet.
Reply | Threaded
|

sirskier
In reply to this post by snoloco
I saw this place from 9w at night when I tried to go around some horrible traffic on 87S.  It looked very steep.  I tried to find out more info and reports about it but found really nothing.  This is the best report I have read so far.  I read that it is open during the week.  

On piste is better then no piste
Reply | Threaded
|

St. Jerry
Going to check it out this Friday afternoon/evening.

Looks close and not crowded (hopefully)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Does anyone know a source for stats, base elevation, summit, snowfall etc?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Having looked at it from 9W I’d say base elevation is about 5
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Does anyone know a source for stats, base elevation, summit, snowfall etc?
Why not map it out in Hillmap.  It's pretty accurate.