What does it cost to have a ski racing kid?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
44 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What does it cost to have a ski racing kid?

Z
This post was updated on .
Last night I took my son to Inside Edge in Queenbury for the race night to get outfitted for the season.  Dick there did a great job fitting my son and I'm very happy with the boot we selected.  Once Dick added a small heel lift my son was able to fully flex the boot which is so important.  I see so many kids in boots that they can not flex properly leading to inability to properly balance and work the ski.  If you need a good boot fit - Dick is the best around.

Anyway on to my question my wife came home and said she better get a job because of ski racing.

Already this fall I've spent the below on my ski racing son:
Skis, boots, bindings, poles $800
Nysef $900
Racing Helmet  $120
USSA / NYSRA dues $180

will still have to spend during the season
pisgah season pass $115
race entry fees $200
I'm sure I'm missing something or he will grow out of something

So I'm looking at about $2500 for a U10 (what used to be a J5 but USSA just changed the names this season)

Who has gone thru this before that can advise what its going to cost per season at J4, J3 and J2 levels?

As they get older they need to attend Mt Hood camps, have multiple pairs of skis, speed suits, protective gear for SL, race fees,travel, etc etc.  My head and wallet hurts just thinking about this.  Not to mention if we end up going the academy route.  How painful is this going to get?  How much of a home equity line of credit am I going to need?  Please share if you have been thru this before.

On the plus side I see that my son has tons of natural ability (Coach speaking here not the proud dad) and if he can be special and continues to love ski racing, we should give it a shot.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: what does it cost to have a ski racing kid?

Adk Jeff
Coach Z wrote
Last night I took my son to Inside Edge in Queenbury for the race night to get outfitted for the season.  Dick there did a great job fitting my son...
You're speaking of Rich Hill, right?  I agree, he's excellent.

Coach Z wrote
Who has gone thru this before?
You'll enjoy the Skiracedad blog if you haven't already discovered it, particularly the last two posts, The Next Level, and The Buying Season.  Skiracedad is also a Forum member.

Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
"It would be cheaper,  safer, healthier and less wear and tear on the auto to start him on heroin." ( By Dick Dorworth )
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
cool blog I love it but it scares the crap out of me too

thanks for sharing
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
What is your time worth? Throw that in the cost. Lots and lots and lots of travel time.

Have him race Highschool?
Cost me about $150 for 2 years

Then again, if he's J5 I guess he has a few years to go.

Racing for a mtn team is just too damn expensive, and is a HUGE commitment.
but does he really HAVE to go to Mt Hood?
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Cost go up exponentially.  By High School, both my kids switched to the high school team, much lower cost, and they both felt less pressure and more fun.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Get him into park and pipe, by the time he drops out of high school think of all the money you'll save on college!

:)
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
ml242 wrote
Get him into park and pipe, by the time he drops out of high school think of all the money you'll save on college!
So Far, dropping out of school has been a great decision!

I'll follow up on that in 10 years, though.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by K man
K man wrote
Cost go up exponentially.  By High School, both my kids switched to the high school team, much lower cost, and they both felt less pressure and more fun.
Same with my kids..
"Peace and Love"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I don't think that Ausable Valley High School has a ski team.  I'm not even sure if Lake Placid HS has one either.  I think that is a downstate thing as stupid as that sounds.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
How far is downstate to you Ausable folks?

Saratoga, Shen, Ballston Spa/Burnt Hills, Schylurville, Queensbury, and Johnsburgh all have teams.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Its hard to get any more upstate with out speaking French

I didn't grow up here so I don't know how sports works in High School that well since my kid is only 9
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Saranac Lake has a HS team, and some of the LP kids who do not go the academy route may combine with SL
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
My daughter raced with Gore through JIII.  The cost does go up as the competition increases but to me it was well worth it.  JIII is where you make the decision if you are going to support the very competitive drive or just race high school.  I have to say that I was gatekeeping when tbatt threw down a hell of a slalom run and he was on twin tips if I am not mistaken.  Singer (coach) hated when they weren't on racing skis but the high school circuit is more of a social thing than hard core competition.  The Top racers are usually top USSA kids though. JI & II (as well as 2nd year III's) are when you are counting your USSA points.  My daughter didn't have the drive and I wasn't going to sacrifice my ski time to shlep her all over the east...That is really where the time commitment is a factor.  She is now a senior on her high school team and if nothing else it has been 11 or so years of constant lessons.  It has also been my way of getting 40+ days a skiing per year.  

In Summary...yes it is quite expensive but I would have done it all over again if I knew then what I know now.  It is fun watching your kids progress to the point that they kick your butt down the hill.  I have never been a racer and prefer the road less traveled but she loves throwing down big fast turns on the groomers...We can all coexist peacefully.
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
If the kid is really good, it may pay for itself with a college scholorship ( or however you spell it ). When I lived in the MRV I had a relationship with the Green Mt Valley Racing Academy. As a patroller at Sugarbush we would go out and ski with the J5's and show them a good time on the mountain instead of race stuff. Even at that age those kids are under a lot of pressure. I was also on the ambulance squad in the area and I know that there were a number of suicides at the school from all the pressure. Eating aspirin with coke ( Cola ) was the preferred choice. Quite sad.
HS or club racing is a lot easier on them and you.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
My wife and I are firm on this one rule - when it stops becoming fun anymore it will stop.  Losing sucks and I beleive that it teaches a life lesson so I'm not saying if winning stops we stop.  But if the process becomes not fun anymore as a whole we will be stopping.  

No matter what my kid is going to a kick butt skier as an adult.  At 9 he is better than I was a 22 when I started instructing.  He probably skis better than a good chunk of the ski school staff already.  I'm not willing to risk burning him out on skiing because of racing.  Skiing with him is the best part of my dad experience.  I know that the day is coming when he is better than me - its only a matter of time and the sooner the better.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Family goes $60,000 into debt supporting their son, a high level junior nordic combined skier.  Read all about it here.
http://fasterskier.com/2011/11/developing-noco-athletes-jump-on-drive-for-25/

On losing and resiliency: Rob Bradlee coaches juniors at the Boston area Cambridge Sports Union and is a USSA coach of the year.  

http://xcskicoach.blogspot.com/2012/08/teach-your-children-well.html

Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
I look at the costs from a different perspective.  My kids are still going to ski, so the question about racing is how much additional money racing is going to cost.  I am still in for passes, gear etc.  Also, not everything has to be purchased new.  There are excellent outlets for used racing gear that can save money.  

A good friend of ours retired as a Division 1 coach.  According to him, there are minimal scholarships available for alpine skiing.  It can help you get in to the college of your choice.  We do this with no anticipation that there is going to be any type of monetary payoff down the road.

Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
sudsnbumps wrote
  I have to say that I was gatekeeping when tbatt threw down a hell of a slalom run and he was on twin tips if I am not mistaken.  Singer (coach) hated when they weren't on racing skis but the high school circuit is more of a social thing than hard core competition.
No I was on Slalom skis, but my speed suit was an argyle sweater!

definitely true about it being about the social life vs. competition on the HS team.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Sorry T It was a great run though...Coach, you got it right, when it is no fun it is time to stop.  Skiing is a blast and no matter what way you enjoy it, it should be fun.  My daughters are polar opposites in their styles but both enjoy it immensely.  One teaches and the other wants to ski race in college but they both can't wait for the snow to fly...me too!

Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back