What does this warm up do to the conditions?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What does this warm up do to the conditions?

Zobi1
How will these 40+ Temp days affect skiing for Friday at Belleayre or Hunter?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What does this warm up do to the conditions?

JTG4eva!
If coverage is good, which I assume it is, Friday should be a gorgeous spring day with great conditions.  A nice freeze-thaw cycle in the spring is a beautiful thing.  It starts developing the 'corn', which some people also call 'hero snow'.  A soft velvety surface over a firm base.....so easy to turn in, at least until it gets too soft/slushy, but that shouldn't be that big a problem with temps in the 40s.  Timing is important.  With temps down near 10 overnight Thursday things will freeze up tight......but late morning, when the warm temps loosen the surface and the mountain softens, perfect spring skiing!  Enjoy!!  

The real problem comes Saturday night.....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Zobi1
Fluid164 wrote
How will these 40+ Temp days affect skiing for Friday at Belleayre or Hunter?
could be some of the best conditions of the season..don't fear the warm temps
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
When temps get warmer in late winter and spring, the only thing that really matters is the weather the day you ski.
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
Belleayre should gun a high traffic area on one of these cold nights. Mainly the feeder hill just above and just below the Overlook lodge leading down to the Super Chief. The not the entire thing, just in the immediate area of the lodge as I noticed yesterderday some bare spots showing through
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I saw snowmaking in March once at an ORDA hill in the years I've been watching.  But it's very rare.  From the mountains POV the goal now is to provide the best product possible without spending much.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Time for the cats to start pushing snow where they need it....
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
I would think that some of the mountains that people have been finding icy are going to soften up and are going to ski better with a little warmup
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
So help me , fonna hit Gore dor 3/4 days next week WHAT specific SPRING wax. Works BEST  in this stuff ??? I have used iUNIVERSAL wax and it. Is fine below 32 degrees but i am all ears IF you guys have something that works great above 32
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
warp daddy wrote
So help me , fonna hit Gore dor 3/4 days next week WHAT specific SPRING wax. Works BEST  in this stuff ??? I have used iUNIVERSAL wax and it. Is fine below 32 degrees but i am all ears IF you guys have something that works great above 32
Swix CH10 of LF 10
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
Zardoz Notwax. It's liquid teflon and takes just a few minutes to put on your skis. Works great when the snow gets wet.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

jcamotts
I would go with Belle. Went their last weekend and coverage was great, however they just closed the new dreamcatcher glade today. Probably still poachable. I would expect soft moguls on a lot of runs.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
Does the Not Wax last the entire day or is it good only for a few runs as i have heard ?

Not being cute here , just read some stuff about it where some users were critical .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
warp daddy wrote
Does the Not Wax last the entire day or is it good only for a few runs as i have heard ?

Not being cute here , just read some stuff about it where some users were critical .
Bring it with you and re-apply during the day. That's what I do. It's easy and quick enough that you can do it anywhere on the mountain. Just don't empty 1/3 of the bottle onto the pad as the directions suggest. Ten drops on the pad is plenty. It's not a perfect solution, but it definitely helps when the snow gets wet and sticky.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
I find zardoz dries out my bases, but it does work as a temporary solution.

Wax (and brush) well, on well prepped bases, and you won't need the zardoz. If you're sticking on wet snow it's probably a structure problem more than a wax problem.

Yellow or red wax when it gets warm, but I use universal most of the time with good results.
Reply | Threaded
|

greif
I use Zardoz Notwax on my XC skis on top of whatever glide wax I use. It works well with any wax, makes the base wax last longer.
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
In reply to this post by jcamotts
Noone is blowing anything right now, snow will just be moved around to cover bare spots.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Until we get snow or it warms up things will be FG or frozen solid

The exception is at the highest elevations where it didn't thaw out earlier in the week
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
How high you talkin Coach?

Reports from the Slides on Tuesday were saying they were manky.  That's pretty high, although exposed.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
The high I'm focusing on is temps.  I bet things have been locked up pretty good the last few days most places outside NoVT.

Sunday might be ok in the Cats, with lows around freezing Sat pm and temps pushing 40 Sunday.

MONDAY may be the day to target WF, with Wilmington/Placid highs forecast for the mid-40s.