classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
73 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What happened to snoloco?

Glade Runner
Banned User
The info is still in the signature when you go into edit it just not on the thread, which is cool.  Thought I lost that info for a second.  I like the idea you have.  Would be cool to see what others are doing.  I know theres some people here who get out way more than me.  I think it would be helpful to see who went where on a powder day and first hand reports of snow that day, like I was trying to do.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
Hmmm....  

Yeah Harv should add a sections to the forum called Trip Reports and another called Ski Conditions so people can post about how the skiing is at various mountains...

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
What happened to snoloco?
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by Z
I dont mind an occasional trip report but, I don't  have time for every day I go.  If you dont like it don't post in the thread.  But, I know you get out more than me.  I'd be interested in yours.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by CMR
CMR wrote
What happened to snoloco?
I'd heard from an unreliable source that he was in a special training program doing extended dirt bag trips North, sleeping in his car and schralping thin cover off uncomfortable fixed grip chairs.

Hey sno, you still the man.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
I heard that he got lost in virtual reality at Mount Sno
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Boy-Killed-in-Ski-Accident-288932491.html

13 YEAR Old killed running into tree at nashoba valley. You can see in the video how they have trees in the middle of the trail.  Oh and he was wearing a helmet(very over rated piece of safety equipment). He might have hit a tree on the edge of a trail as well. Another life that would have been saved with netting or padding the trees on the edge of the trail would work as well! Just the way they pad lift towers. Running into a tree is number one cause of death in skiing. Common sense would dictate skiing glades above a crawl speed is dangerous as well because there are a lot of trees and anyone no matter how good of a skier can lose their balance and fall into a tree.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Where do you get your data
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Figured I'd clear up what happened over a year ago.  

Mountain Creek had a really bad start that year.  They blew off some early snowmaking opportunities and opened much later than their competitors, which looked as if it was going to be well beyond Christmas.  As I did not have a trip out west to bail me out, I was looking at possibly doing very limited or zero skiing over my winter break.  Needless to say, I was very up in arms over this possibility, and it was showing here.  My social life in real life was also in the crapper.  I just was cranky in general.

I kept posting my frustration in off-topic ways and was getting a lot of shit for it.  Noah was banned about a month earlier and PowderAssassin was still around and had not been muzzled yet.  I eventually got into a back and fourth with POW and ran off 25 posts in 1 day, likely a record here.  People emailed Harvey asking him to ban me or limit my posts.

The next morning, my phone buzzed, and it was an email from Harvey saying that he limited my posts to 20.  I replied saying that I wouldn't hit that limit and asked for it to be taken off, which initially happened.  However, the next day, my reply button disappeared and I had only one post.  I emailed Harvey asking if it was a technical problem.  Actually my post limit was lowered from 20 to 6.  I also saw even more posts saying that Noah should be brought back to flame me and maybe I'd post less then.

I figured that I had basically ruined my reputation forever on this site and decided that it would be best to leave and let things cool off instead of being the scapegoat like PowderAssassin.  I deleted my avatar, my signature, my profile, and logged out of my account.  I didn't post for about a month and then this thread appeared.  Things seemed to cool off as well.

I came back when Mountain Creek got a powder day that no one else got.  People seemed to not be flaming me, so I put my profile back up and started posting again.

Long story short, I left because I was hated by most and was getting muzzled.  I figured that if I was having my posts limited, I shouldn't be posting at all, and things would likely escalate and I'd get banned.  I never found a girlfriend, daddy didn't ground me, and I didn't go off and spend nights in the woods skiing backcountry.  Mountain Creek's powder day gave me the chance to come back, so I did and I think I've gotten along better since then.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
snoloco wrote
Figured I'd clear up what happened over a year ago.  
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by snoloco

Snoloco,

I have a tendency to base my security on snow sometimes. I think I know exactly how you feel. I find that when it's winter season, and there is no snow on the ground I don't get as good of grades in School (now college) and I become cranky, and have a tendency to take it out on other people. It's even worse when you want to be skiing, and the mountain you love is procrastinating. I think we have some innate similarities.

One of the things that I learned the hard way was that I needed too put security in things that were a little longer lasting than snow. More specifically, things that actually care about YOU, like friends. I know it sounds lame because without snow, life is pretty damn boring, but I challenge you to value relationships more so than snow. By relationships, I don't mean a girlfriend, or even a BFF, I just mean people who care about you. That could even extend to the NY Ski Forum itself. I know for a fact that people on this forum value your contribution to this site. At least I do. In order to have friends, you must treat other people with respect, and try to be as agreeable as possible. You don't have to be a socialite, you just have to be respectful of other people, and then others will like you and want to be around you.

I am a bit of an outcast myself, but I have a few friends, because I try to be a nice guy. I've had people try to throw me in the shitter many times throughout my life because of things I said, but it was through these experiences that I have come to value other people and how I treat them. I guarantee you that you will be happier that way. If was on this blog 5 years ago, I probably would have been banned too. Your recent post is commendable, and I encourage you to continue learning these things.

It's a good feeling to have people who care about you. Maybe even better than looking outside to two feet of fresh powder.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Ethan Snow wrote
It's a good feeling to have people who care about you. Maybe even better than looking outside to two feet of fresh powder.
Ethan - there are two fundamental rules for a ski fanatic
Rule #1: There are no friends or loved ones on powder day
Rule #2: If the love of your life is having trouble getting going in the morning, see rule #1.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by snoloco
Don't sweat the internet bud.