What happened to the snow in NY this weekend?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What happened to the snow in NY this weekend?

ADmiKe
This post was updated on .
Vermont resorts reporting 8-10" in past 24 hrs as of this morning?

What are the adirondaks always getting shafted? What is it about their position that makes VT pick up snow, while whiteface reports 0" fresh?

I'm not a fan of VT, just frustrated that they always get the snow.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What happened to the snow in NY this weekend?

Harvey
Administrator
The reason VT gets more snow that NY has to do with the orientation of the Green Mountain spine.  It's a long line of mountains that run (roughly) north/south and as systems come from west to east that line forces more snow our of the same system.  

The northern spine does even better than the rest of the spine because it's colder, but also the orientation of the range is even more ideal - slightly NW to SW.  Then there is Jay Peak which has no mountains blocking it. It's like the big mountain we  dream of on Tug Hill.

The Adks and the Cats are not nearly as "organized" and don't get the same kind of orographic snows.

The way I look at it, if NY got the same snow as VT our mountains would be very different. I think the pressure to develop land would have been much strong in the past and when timber companies defaulted on their taxes the land some of it probably would have been sold to private interests vs the state.

I dig both VT and NY. I really like the fact that VT is right next door and not in say, Maine.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Oak got 4", Gore got 1".
Hunter got a goose egg, Windham got 4".

Weird storm....

http://www.skiridefree.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
It was just a cold front...it snowed at hunter all day..they came in 2-3
the forecast worked out..nws had 3-6 for NY mountains..inch or so more fell in VT ..sounds like a spot on forecast
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Yeh, I wasn't talking about the specific forecast for the weekend, speaking more in general about what seems to always happen....

Even though they might get more snow, I'd rather be in the ADK...unless it's mid-week, VT is prob so crowded on a pow day...
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by Harvey
I have absolutely no use for Vermont, its residents, its tiny mountains, its over-rated cheese, its Birkenstocks, its maple syrup, its contrived, Norman Rockwell phoniness, its Red Sox fans, its heroin epidemic, its cows, its Town Hall meetings, its B&Bs, its leaf peepers, its Westchester County tourons, its shitty roads, Bernie Sanders, Howard Dean or Phish.  

I prefer the United States.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Noah John wrote
I have absolutely no use for Vermont, its residents, its tiny mountains, its over-rated cheese, its Birkenstocks, its maple syrup, its contrived, Norman Rockwell phoniness, its Red Sox fans, its heroin epidemic, its cows, its Town Hall meetings, its B&Bs, its leaf peepers, its Westchester County tourons, its shitty roads, Bernie Sanders, Howard Dean or Phish.  

I prefer the United States.
Bravo Noah, bravo ---