classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
306 messages Options
12345 ... 16
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is the Ideal Amount of Snow?

kenneywallace
Well 20" at lab, tog, song, snow ridge or mc.culley is going to be better then 20" at mt. Most of the time, even better then gore or anything on the hudson, just depends on proximity to the ocean to determin how wet the snow is

Best powder I ever skied was at lab after a lake snow event, 10" overnight then 10" all day, nice and lose fluff
20"- 40" would be great (a day, and self shovling snow)
Black diamonds, the easy way down, less moving hazzards
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
kenneywallace wrote
 just depends on proximity to the ocean to determin how wet the snow is

Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
 I say that there is too much snow when it causes me to loose momentum in the flat spots and I have to walk through it.  
Also, this is what most of their man made snow looks like.  I'd rather ski this than have to battle for first chair on a powder day (powder days bring out the worst behavior in skiers).
Dude...? Are you for real or some kind of elaborate internet prank?

"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
snoloco wrote
 I say that there is too much snow when it causes me to loose momentum in the flat spots and I have to walk through it.  
Also, this is what most of their man made snow looks like.  I'd rather ski this than have to battle for first chair on a powder day (powder days bring out the worst behavior in skiers).
He's for real. He represents the opinion of the majority of the skiing public. We are the anomalies.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
PeeTex wrote
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
snoloco wrote
He's for real. He represents the opinion of the majority of the skiing public. We are the anomalies.
I disagree with this. Not the "for real" or the "anomalies" part, but the idea that the majority of skiers want to ski on manmade.

If Jay Peak and the awesome Jay Cloud/snowfall were somehow to defy science and miraculously appear right next door to Mountain Creek I don't think more would choose to ski on manmade snow.

Distance to the mountain is a big factor.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
The majority of people want groomed out snow, no bumps, no ice. I think that is what Sno has been saying. To morph that into man made only is a stretch.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Using Harv's guidelines for typical East coast snow at 25 degrees, I would say the benefits of deep max out at 18 inches.     The density of the snow does not allow one to get below that depth regardless.   So anthing deeper just causes extra crap we all have to deal with but pretend we don't:  Shoving cars out, windows, sidewalks, driveways etc.  The "extra" fun you may get on the slopes at 25 degrees is not worth the work that comes along.  

Reduce the temperature to 15 degrees and I would add another 12 inches for good depth of 30 inches.  Now you are in it and the colder temps make shoveling, brushing etc, all easier--with less sweat.    

I bet it would be a neat graph if all the factors were considered.  

Snow depth= Y axis,
  Fun Factor =  X axis
  Water %     =  Z axis     For math majors and computer models.    
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Depends where you are

If I was at Mountain Creek... Tricked you, I'd never go there.
Hahaha!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
tBatt wrote
mmmmmm
Are we really going to let this one slide?
Was waiting for someone to knock that meatball out of the park with a TWSS

figured it would be SJ, nice job tBatt
She Never said that!!!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
69".
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
campgottagopee wrote
tBatt wrote
mmmmmm
Are we really going to let this one slide?
Was waiting for someone to knock that meatball out of the park with a TWSS

figured it would be SJ, nice job tBatt
She Never said that!!!

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
The majority of people want groomed out snow, no bumps, no ice. I think that is what Sno has been saying.
If that's what he meant then I think you are correct.

This...

snoloco wrote
...this is what most of their man made snow looks like.  I'd rather ski this than have to battle for first chair on a powder day (powder days bring out the worst behavior in skiers).
...made me think sno meant that he prefers manmade over powder.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
snoloco wrote
I never said that powder was bad.  It just doesn't serve a real purpose at Mountain Creek except for closing school so I can go there on an uncrowded day.  Our natural snow is usually heavy and wet, so it makes it impossible to get enough speed to hit any jumps at the terrain park.  Our terrain is just too flat to really be able to enjoy a powder day most of the time.  You can get stuck pretty easily.  Hunter's natural snow is about the same as Mountain Creek's, but the terrain is much steeper, so you can't get stuck like at Mountain Creek.  That makes powder days there a lot better.  If we were talking about western powder, I would take that any day over man made, but I would take Mountain Creek's manmade over the natural snow we get on most days.
That is quite an indictment of Mountain Creek.

But, I would say in the war between groomers and pow, my parents are right in zee middle and would take 2" over cord every day of the week.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I disagree with this. Not the "for real" or the "anomalies" part, but the idea that the majority of skiers want to ski on manmade.

If Jay Peak and the awesome Jay Cloud/snowfall were somehow to defy science and miraculously appear right next door to Mountain Creek I don't think more would choose to ski on manmade snow.
But then how do you explain the majority of Jay skiers sticking to the groomers? Same with Smuggs, Stowe, Bush, etc. It is a fact, the vast majority of skiers prefer groomers. By default, ALL never evers, beginners, and intermediates prefer groomers and almost all lower advanced skiers stay on the groomers almost exclusively. That is the majority of skiers, right there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
No argument from me. People prefer groomers to trees.  The numbers certainly back that up.

I thought sno was saying that he preferred manmade snow to natural.  He sortof was, but not really.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by I:)skiing
I:)skiing wrote

I bet it would be a neat graph if all the factors were considered.  

Snow depth= Y axis,
  Fun Factor =  X axis
  Water %     =  Z axis     For math majors and computer models.
You asked for it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Nice PeeTex...

That "hill" looks pretty skiable - especially on a deep powder day!
(Steep enough pitch to slough naturally too)
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Telemark Dave wrote
Nice PeeTex...

That "hill" looks pretty skiable - especially on a deep powder day!
(Steep enough pitch to slough naturally too)
Kinda looks like Haystack dropping into Panther Gorge, although I wouldn't want to ski that.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
I never said that powder was bad.  It just doesn't serve a real purpose at Mountain Creek except for closing school so I can go there on an uncrowded day.  Our natural snow is usually heavy and wet, so it makes it impossible to get enough speed to hit any jumps at the terrain park.  Our terrain is just too flat to really be able to enjoy a powder day most of the time.  You can get stuck pretty easily.  Hunter's natural snow is about the same as Mountain Creek's, but the terrain is much steeper, so you can't get stuck like at Mountain Creek.  That makes powder days there a lot better.  If we were talking about western powder, I would take that any day over man made, but I would take Mountain Creek's manmade over the natural snow we get on most days.
You need to stop with the absolutes. The snow we get in North Jersey is dry as much as it is wet. I know because I have been shoveling it for many more years than you have been alive. The terrain still mostly sucks at MC, but in my life I have had more good days skiing large snowfalls or any snowfalls at MC versus skiing manmade snow.

By the way, MC claims a 65" yearly average which is probably closer to 45"'. Hunter Mtn does not have a yearly natural snow average on its web site. The consensus from other sites is around 120". Even if the actual number is 90" it is still twice what MC gets.
12345 ... 16