What is the most important part of an experience?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is the most important part of an experience?

billyymc
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Rich people love to do the "experience collecting" thing these days.
If it were just rich people, social media wouldn't exist. For many people the experience didn't happen if it's not posted on Facebook or Instagram or NYSBlog.

We are all guilty of it at times, but a large segment of the population posts somewhere every time they wipe their ass without getting any on their hands. For them the experience doesn't matter one bit, just the perception of the experience. And that lowers the bar for everyone else.

The importance of the experience should be personal, but it no longer is.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
billyymc wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Rich people love to do the "experience collecting" thing these days.
If it were just rich people, social media wouldn't exist. For many people the experience didn't happen if it's not posted on Facebook or Instagram or NYSBlog.

We are all guilty of it at times, but a large segment of the population posts somewhere every time they wipe their ass without getting any on their hands. For them the experience doesn't matter one bit, just the perception of the experience. And that lowers the bar for everyone else.

The importance of the experience should be personal, but it no longer is.
So do you think people post stuff on NYSBlog to brag or boast, or show how rad they are.  Maybe some do, but that is not my purpose.  I'd just as soon not mess around taking pics or making video shorts as it's a PITA, but I figure if I put a little something out there from each outing (if I can), then maybe it brings a little stoke to someone else.  Maybe not?  

For sure any little scrap that gets dragged back here on my shoe is in no way a true representation of my experience.  A picture, a video, some words can't really capture it.  

I actually think some of these forums could use a lot more experience type posts - it seems everyone got sour about them and now forums are all about the argument, politics, or whatever BS people can drag out.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I really like taking photos or editing my cheesy little video segments. It’s fun. If someone thinks I do it for showing off or bragging they couldn’t be more wrong. I just love creating stuff and sharing it with others.

I’m with Matt, I get super bored with things I’ve been doing for a while but there’s usually other ways to stay entertained. That’s trail building and advocacy for me. I don’t ride that much anymore to be honest. I got bored but once we finish this project I imagine I’ll be motivated for a little while. Riding is cool but there’s nothing like investing years of time as well as blood, sweat and back breaking work into a trail that you eventually get to ride. That’s the buzz I’m after and keeps me excited about being here.

To play devils advocate, even if I might judge someone’s experience or the motive behind it, at least they are doing something. A shift from valuing material to valuing experience is probably still a net gain I’m thinking.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Santa knows.

I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Oh snap!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
I really like taking photos or editing my cheesy little video segments. It’s fun. If someone thinks I do it for showing off or bragging they couldn’t be more wrong. I just love creating stuff and sharing it with others. ...

... A shift from valuing material to valuing experience is probably still a net gain I’m thinking.
Agree with both sentiments. Obviously I’m not some great world-class skier but I’ve got a creative itch I get to scratch by writing for the blog and/or posting TRs on here. Hopefully it entertains or adds to somebody’s stoke level along the way. I don’t worry a ton about how legit my “experience” is or how it measures up against somebody else’s. I do the stuff I like when I have time to do it.

Back to the original question, yes, canned-hunts are lame. If there’s a silver lining, though, at least the animals being killed that way have generally better lives then say a chicken raised on a factory farm or a cow that’s been fattened up in a feed lot.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Experience is in the moment.  The moment is the most important.
You create that moment - you set it up.  

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Brownski
Its entertains me BS...thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
What aspects make accomplishments feel special?
Special accomplishments are those that, despite your best efforts, use of the language and selected audience, you can't possibly describe the elation, relief or genuine unique experience you got in the process.

For instance, it happened for me the day I planted over 5000 trees in a day, again when I drove from Bismarck, ND to Lethbridge, AB with $10 to my name and again any number of times.

And I also ask these questions as someone who will definitely pay tons of money to heli-ski from sick mountain peaks this winter if I win the Mega Millions tonight, bypassing the "real" experience of starting before dawn and slogging up 6,000 vertical feet to ski one run.
See above.  Sign me up.  I don't discount one's experience with the climb; I just value that time as being better spent elsewhere.

MC2 5678F589 wrote
Don't you guys get burnt out on doing the same thing over and over again, though?
No.  Sheer exhilaration every time I put a ski on its edge before the fall line and crank a turn down Skyward, bisecting corduroy with a pencil line.  No thought about work, mortgage, family/health issues.....Fucking awesome.

raisingarizona wrote
Eccentric rich folks sure do seem confused on the aspects that make accomplishments special.
"Poor people are nuts.  I'm eccentric."  - Dennis Hopper's character in Speed.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I like Brownski's reports and blogs as well. Definitely "one of us" as in dads with black ski pants preaching the gospel to our kids.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Amen!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
I like Brownski's reports and blogs as well. Definitely "one of us" as in dads with black ski pants preaching the gospel to our kids.
Ha! One day maybe they’ll start listening
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
This quote got me thinking:
raisingarizona wrote
My Uncle told me a story about being at a game farm in Wyoming where a guy paid 4k to walk up to a bison and shoot from 10 feet away. That bison was like a pet that was hand fed by humans it's whole life.

Eccentric rich folks sure do seem confused on the aspects that make accomplishments special.
What aspects make accomplishments feel special?

Rich people love to do the "experience collecting" thing these days. I had 3 different friends on my Facebook feed vacationing in the Greek Islands last week.

But what is "special" about paying a bunch of money to go somewhere and have a very similar experience to every other tourist? What is "special" about shooting a pet bison?

And what defines the experience? How many miles should that guy have hiked, how many hours should he have spent hiding behind a rock, to get the true "bison hunting" experience?

I ask these questions as someone who had a staged "Stand up paddleboarding with the dolphins" thing in a large dolphin holding center in the Carribean, not the real, open water dolphins-in-the-wild experience.

And I also ask these questions as someone who will definitely pay tons of money to heli-ski from sick mountain peaks this winter if I win the Mega Millions tonight, bypassing the "real" experience of starting before dawn and slogging up 6,000 vertical feet to ski one run.
I had a couple of friends who travelled to the Greek Islands about 10 years ago. All they talked about when they got back were the $2 Heinekens.

Still trying to figure out how you go all the way to Greece and the highlight is cheap, bad beer.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
I had a couple of friends who travelled to the Greek Islands about 10 years ago. All they talked about when they got back were the $2 Heinekens.

Still trying to figure out how you go all the way to Greece and the highlight is cheap, bad beer.
+1 Yukon Cornelius.  Gotta be in the moment.