What is the most important part of an experience?

34 messages Options
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

What is the most important part of an experience?

This quote got me thinking:
raisingarizona wrote
My Uncle told me a story about being at a game farm in Wyoming where a guy paid 4k to walk up to a bison and shoot from 10 feet away. That bison was like a pet that was hand fed by humans it's whole life.

Eccentric rich folks sure do seem confused on the aspects that make accomplishments special.
What aspects make accomplishments feel special?

Rich people love to do the "experience collecting" thing these days. I had 3 different friends on my Facebook feed vacationing in the Greek Islands last week.

But what is "special" about paying a bunch of money to go somewhere and have a very similar experience to every other tourist? What is "special" about shooting a pet bison?

And what defines the experience? How many miles should that guy have hiked, how many hours should he have spent hiding behind a rock, to get the true "bison hunting" experience?

I ask these questions as someone who had a staged "Stand up paddleboarding with the dolphins" thing in a large dolphin holding center in the Carribean, not the real, open water dolphins-in-the-wild experience.

And I also ask these questions as someone who will definitely pay tons of money to heli-ski from sick mountain peaks this winter if I win the Mega Millions tonight, bypassing the "real" experience of starting before dawn and slogging up 6,000 vertical feet to ski one run.
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

Re: What is the most important part of an experience?

interesting question..

some questioned my "Guided climb of Mt Rainier" as not being a pure climbing experience..I can assure them it was a pure climbing experience..
"Peace and Love"
Cunningstunts Cunningstunts
Reply |

I think an experience is an experience - good, bad, easy, hard... whatever.  It's what you make of it.

My wife and I had this argument for years about how we spent our time and money on "experiences".  She always wanted to do something exotic (and expensive) like going to Europe, etc.. and I was content to invest a little money in things that made our local experiences better i.e. boats, skis, bikes, camping gear, etc.  I was content to spend all my free time in the Adirondacks, out on my local trails, skiing my local hills.  With the investment of all my gear and a thought about what I was going to do with my time, I was able to spend very little for my experiences.

Perhaps I didn't get the wow factor of Greek Islands (believe it or not that was on our list at one time) or big mountains out west, but I did manage to use up almost all of my available free time doing something I enjoyed.  To me, that was the best experience.
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
I'd jump right onto that helicopter. Sign. Me. Up!
Reply |

It's less of an experience when the focus is on the bragging rights, the social media update or the one upping at the water cooler than the actual experience and being in the moment. That's my personal, jaded opinion after working in tourism for some 20 or so years. You can see it, it's not about really being there, it's about the possession and ego satisfaction. We all do it to some degree but some do it to the point that I can't understand.

It's g-narcissist culture.
Skiray Skiray
Reply |

I think we can all be called this, particularly when people want to share that experience and it's easier now than ever. I know I have been called narcissistic, and agree that people can see it that way, though don't think I am as we are trying to share this experience even with others that we have met along the way (and at least fashion this into some form of story, a piece of art or journalism).

It's easy to say it is about collecting rather than experiencing and it easy to ridicule how someone may experience something versus how you would or can experience.  I have friends that go to India and stay in the best hotels, never walk in areas and have no clue about the cultures there.

When we go somewhere, we try to integrate best with the people there, walking on their sidewalks, hoods and or parks.   Both are experiences for sure - though one probably closer to the what most people avoid. Maybe that is a poor example to use, though I think you get my point.

Experiences need to be personal and need to evoke stories to tell. For us, its less about material (where we ate or hotel/home we stayed at) more substance (what we saw, who we interacted with, what we learned and or felt).

The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
nepa nepa
Reply |

Definitely an interesting question.  I think motives have changed significantly over the past 25 years.  The experience is less personal now.  For the modern-day-constantly-connected attention whore, sharing the experience is just as, if not more, important than "experiencing" the experience.  The ability to digitally capture and share the experience in virtual real-time has no doubt fueled the meteoric rise of the "manufactured experience" market.  The rise of the Experience Monger... it doesn't matter how stupidly unreal the experience.... As long as I can share it.  Old-school rich folks buy stuff like Diamonds, Emeralds, and Yachts... new-schoolers enjoy target shooting with Pets that were grown specifically for their "hunting" pleasure.    

Obviously, it's different for everyone, but anything that takes place in a "gated" environment seems the opposite of any experience I would describe as real.  It seems that the more money you have, the less important reality becomes.  I guess it doesn't actually have to be real... If you've got the cash, I'm sure the latest VR-tech can totally take the reality out of the experience for you.  

For me, the experience is not "rewarding"  unless there is some type of mental/physical challenge.  Often, the best experiences I have had usually have a "low point."  When I was traveling in Colombia... I lost my passport in Medellin (low-point  )  We got strong armed in Cartagena by a group of cartel-thugs (lowest point  ).  I got my SCUBA cert.  I only had to stay an extra week to get my passport issues resolved.  All things considered, with lots of other crazy shit in between... a truly rewarding experience.

Who are we to say that target shooting with live targets is not rewarding for the guy doing the shooting?  I don't agree with it, but there is obviously a market for it... just like there is a market for ultra-violent video-games.  Is it really OK to enjoy (or even crave) the "virtual experience" of mass-murder?

Harvey Harvey
Reply |

My answer is pathetically simple.

I want a simple life. I want exercise. I want to be in the midst of big trees all year long. In winter I want feel natural snow under my skis. I want to experience all of these things in the company of a best friend.

These aren't really accomplishments, and this probably doesn't answer the question, but this is what I want from my life experience.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Johnnyonthespot Johnnyonthespot
Reply |

Harvey wrote
My answer is pathetically simple.

I want a simple life. I want exercise. I want to be in the midst of big trees all year long. In winter I want feel natural snow under my skis. I want to experience all of these things in the company of a best friend.

These aren't really accomplishments, and this probably doesn't answer the question, but this is what I want from my life experience.
You need to try hunting. It's more about the hunt than the kill. At least for me it is.
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wins.