classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What media is most trusted?

Harvey
Administrator
Came across this graphic based on a study by the Pew Research Center. It purports to show what media are trusted by the left, center and right:

Looks like the Journal wins. Interesting that two of the top sources are from UK not the US.

I don't know enough about PEW to know if they are center left or right. (Anyone?)

Also the study is over two years old.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What media is most trusted?

PeeTex
I was always partial to the BBC.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Without a doubt the Wall Street Journal is the definitive source for all media and this survey agrees with that.

It's comical that anyone would believe that NBC is not liberal biased.  The CEO of GE somehow found time while he was shipping jobs to China to have his lips surgically attached to Obama's nether regions.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
I think there all biased in some way or another.  There is money influencing the messages in both directions.

Coach Z wrote
It's comical that anyone would believe that NBC is not liberal biased.  The CEO of GE somehow found time while he was shipping jobs to China to have his lips surgically attached to Obama's nether regions.
I don't get it Z... Immelt is a Republican, and GE sold NBC over 5 years ago.  He was not taken under the O-man's wing until after GE sold NBC.  I actually think the deal was forged long before the O-man took office.  How does Immelt's position with GE effect the NBC message?  Any examples or is this just your usual hot air?

I would think if Immelt was influencing the NBC content it would lean more to the right than the left.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Z
That chart does show that NBC is trusted more by left and center leaning.  Does trust correlate with bias? Probably.

Remember, like those ski surveys, this is survey of peoples opinions.  So you can't really say it wrong, assuming the methodology was legit. Trust is really an opinion and by definitions opinions aren't right or wrong.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by nepa
It was under GE that Chris Matthews had his liberal brogasim.  All the same players are still there except for Brian Williams.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Coach Z wrote
It was under GE that Chris Matthews had his liberal brogasim.  All the same players are still there except for Brian Williams.
Chris Matthews said the image of Bush on the aircraft carrier during his "mission accomplished" speech was amazing and if Iraq was a success, George W. Bush should be on Mount Rushmore:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/chris-matthews-was-against-the-iraq-war-while-he-was-tingling-over-it/

How about this novel idea: the media is made of a bunch of individuals and they might be right or wrong at any given time, just like all people.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
It would be interesting to see a seperate category for the WSJ editorial page than from the whole paper.  My guess is it would be more polarized.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
witch hobble wrote
It would be interesting to see a seperate category for the WSJ editorial page than from the whole paper.  My guess is it would be more polarized.
I was also wondering about the effect of the survey being 2 years old. It does seem like the WSJ is heading farther right.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
How about this novel idea: the media is made of a bunch of individuals and they might be right or wrong at any given time, just like all people.
WTF! News professionals are supposed to be just that - professionals. Research and hard work have gone out the window for sound bites and fluff.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
PeeTex wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
WTF! News professionals are supposed to be just that - professionals. Research and hard work have gone out the window for sound bites and fluff.
How is that different than what I said?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
CBS just showed how the liberal media bias impacts the elections.

One segment of 60 Minutes did a hachett job on Johnson.  They dragged out all the libertarian planks regardless if Johnson Weld support those positions. It was still probably good for the media exposure.

Next they did a piece on the Strategic Command and nuclear Triad with the focus being on having to obey the Presidents command no matter what.  Clearly this was a anti Trump pro Clinton piece but the problem is the majority of voters are too stupid to realize this.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
IMO 60 minutes has little serious following anymore. That maybe just me - I stopped watching it years ago.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
I get all my political news from the New York Ski Blog
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by PeeTex
They sucked me in with the promise of GJ being on and the sub segment for my son.
Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
Media bias is more of a result than a cause of the bias that each and every one of us have. I think that we all go to a source for our news that will substantiate our personal beliefs as opposed to going to a source that may give us reason to admit that we were "wrong" in what we held as true.

My biggest fear is that "news" reporting has become more of an entertainment industry than a tool for giving us the facts. So many of us are fooled into thinking that we're getting the true story from a source when we're really entertained by the banter between the talking heads or focusing on the short skirts that they're wearing.
It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
The problem is while smart people may understand the bias the majority of people are morons that don't read or get their news from anywhere but the boob tube.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by DrSkimeister
I don't get all my news from sources I agree with. I check in with the corner, red state, drudge, etc. That's how I hear about all the stupid right wing "scandals" like the secret "whitey" tape.