classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
48 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's the Best Thing About Where You Usually Ski

freeheeln
snoloco wrote
OMG, this has turned into the "be glad your mountain isn't MC" thread.  
we've been trying to tell you that, maybe now you will pay attention to your elders
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
Well this thread is off topic now.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by freeheeln
As much as I think it's entertaining to jump all over 'Loco's somewhat misguided youthful exuberance, he's probably a solid kid who has the good fortunes to ski at a crappy place like MC on a frequent/regular basis.  We can knock the MC's of the world, or the Birch Hill's (now known as Thunder Ridge, where I grew up), all we want, but these pathetic excuses for ski areas get the 15 year old misguided 'yutes on the snow on a daily basis, and that is the life blood and future of the ski industry, because Loco is gonna grow up, develop adult perspectives, get his own job, and pay for his own skiing some day, and his kid's skiing.....Without MC and Birch Hill, there aren't skiers to keep VT and the 'Dacks in business.  Just sayin'
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Mountain Creek > Thunder Ridge (Big Birch), by a lot... but Mohawk Mountain is king.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
I think I know that everyone on here besides me thinks that MC sucks.
That's a pretty big generalization.

I've never been there so I have no opinion really.  I have some perceptions based on what you've posted. Basically that it is crowded on most days I could ski, snow is mostly manmade and heavily groomed. Also there is 1000 feet of vertical.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
Back to the topic other than dumping on MC....what is the best thing about where I normally ski

1. The laid back attitude
2.  The great runs- long, steep....sometimes a little ice
3.  the glades...especially the harder ones to find
4.  cloudspin...even when it it not officially open
5.  my family
6.  my friends
7.  PBR's at the mid house deck
8.  my grill
9.  the views
10.  The way it makes me feel to be there

Cant wait till Friday
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
snoloco wrote

I've never been there so I have no opinion really.  I have some perceptions based on what you've posted. Basically that it is crowded on most days I could ski, snow is mostly manmade and heavily groomed. Also there is 1000 feet of vertical.
That is basically accurate.  It caters heavily to the park kids because those who are older usually go further north.  I'm one of the park kids so it works great for me.  Otherwise, you'll be stuck at North with a ton of marginal skiers and have to take your skis off every lift ride.  

Some people ask why they have so many terrain parks and it is because they get so many people my age and we love having the best terrain park in the east in our backyard, It's kinda like how Gore has mostly old guys who ski glades, so they add more and more of them.  MC's core market is the park kids, so that's what they focus on and they do a great job of it.

Harvey, when your daughter is my age and wants to take up park skiing, that should be when you ski it.  Maybe you'll take it up with her and there will be a telemarker who hits the jumps.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Another funny thing about MC is that most passes are not used by the person who paid for it.

That's cause it's mostly kids my age whose parents pay for their tickets and passes.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
snoloco wrote

sno, its great you get out so much there, just give us a break on hearing so much about it here
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Assassination PAss

1.  Orange fences everywhere
2.  No snowmaking or grooming
3.  More snow than Northern VT
I'm all for grooming on NON pow days and when it's all chopped up at the end of the day and obviously they should groom some green trails for the peeps not comfortable with powder.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
As much as I think it's entertaining to jump all over 'Loco's somewhat misguided youthful exuberance, he's probably a solid kid who has the good fortunes to ski at a crappy place like MC on a frequent/regular basis.  We can knock the MC's of the world, or the Birch Hill's (now known as Thunder Ridge, where I grew up), all we want, but these pathetic excuses for ski areas get the 15 year old misguided 'yutes on the snow on a daily basis, and that is the life blood and future of the ski industry, because Loco is gonna grow up, develop adult perspectives, get his own job, and pay for his own skiing some day, and his kid's skiing.....Without MC and Birch Hill, there aren't skiers to keep VT and the 'Dacks in business.  Just sayin'
Yeah. That's not true. I ski a tiny ski area because of convenience/location and I'm a adult. There's no comparison to having a season pass at a nearby area. You get to ski all the time this way and it's more affordable obviously. And in all honesty I'd call most new england resort areas pathetic compared to the west coast or even lake effect areas when it comes to snow conditions the majority of the time.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
Yeah. That's not true. I ski a tiny ski area because of convenience/location and I'm a adult. There's no comparison to having a season pass at a nearby area. You get to ski all the time this way and it's more affordable obviously. And in all honesty I'd call most new england resort areas pathetic compared to the west coast or even lake effect areas when it comes to snow conditions the majority of the time.
How come you don't take your own advice and move out west?
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Glade Runner wrote
Cause he hasn't found another Walmart were he can transfer to - they are flush with greeters.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
I'm a adult.
Biggest lie in this thread
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Glade Runner wrote
Cause he hasn't found another Walmart were he can transfer to - they are flush with greeters.
What's wrong with working at walmart? Honest work and largest employer in the country. Do you look down on these people?
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
I'm a adult.
My guess is PowAss is 24 and living in mom and dads basement which explains why he can't afford to ski any where but a hill that makes MC look big.  Also he can't drive his moms bald tire mini van in the snow to slay real pow.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Coach Z wrote
makes MC look big.
Coach, thank you so much for the MC love.  So glad someone else is saying that it looks big and not a mole hill.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
I'm a adult.
My guess is PowAss is 24 and living in mom and dads basement which explains why he can't afford to ski any where but a hill that makes MC look big.  Also he can't drive his moms bald tire mini van in the snow to slay real pow.
No, mom & dad threw the dead beat out, he lives in an abandoned shipping container. he had a job at Walmart until he impressed them with his endearing personality:

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Community. I love the people at my home hill.

This and the touring access, our hill has open boundaries and the touring maybe difficult but it's amazing.

Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Best thing is the close proximity to my office, 20 minutes to the parking lot.     45 minutes from my home.  

Beside the above, our hillock has more varied terrain, bumps and t-park than most other local areas, plus a bar.   What we don't have is vertical.....

http://www.libertymountainresort.com/mountain/mountain-information/webcams-videos.aspx

11 webcams now which equals 1 camera for every 63 feet of vertical.       
No waffle hut, but sending my boss a suggestion.    We all have to admit, those things are GOOD!