What's the Best Thing About Where You Usually Ski

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
48 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What's the Best Thing About Where You Usually Ski

snoloco
I have done too much negative nit picking recently and I really want to change that and do something positive.  What is the best thing about the mountain you ski at.  I will say what it is for mine which is... YOU GUESSED IT... MOUNTAIN CREEK  

I say the best thing about MC is the terrain parks on South and Bear Peaks.  They have one of the largest parks in the east IMO the best.  It is hard to describe just how awesome it is, but I will do my best to explain why.  One of the reasons is that there are park features for any ability level, from those just hitting their first boxes or kickers, to stuff that professionals would enjoy, they've got it.

There are two peaks as mentioned above.  South is the larger one and has the lower difficulty features.  There are 3 trails off the top.  Canyon has the easiest features and those were some of the first ones I ever hit.  There are some easy ride on boxes and some smaller kickers.  Jumpin Jack is right under the lift and that provides for some nice entertainment on the ride up.  They have some hand rails on that as well as boxes which are higher off the ground and not ride on, meaning you need to clear a gap to hit it.  I cannot hit any of these yet, but I am going to change that this year.  Red Tail usually has some really long rails and some huge jumps on it.  It will be a while before I can do these.

Bear Peak is supposed to be the expert park.  It wasn't a park last year because racing was on that peak.  They though that the lift could not handle the terrain park crowds and be the race lift at the same time.  Turns out it could, so it will have park features this year.  Big Bear has had this absurdly large jump with a 60 foot gap.  This is almost professional size.  Gorge Run is the Big Bear run out, and usually has some low hand rails or boxes.  Kamikaze won't have anything cause it is the race trail, but Bear Claw has had some logs used as rails as well as a mushroom jump and a wall ride.  We will see what they put there this year.  Should be awesome and reduce lines at South Peak.

When I ski or ride MC, I almost always go to the South side for the terrain park.  I plan to really up my game in the park this season, so maybe I can get some footage of me hitting some of the stuff for this site.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What's the Best Thing About Where You Usually Ski

ml242
Park skiing reminds me of this quote about climbing: "There are bold climbers, there are old climbers, but there are no old bold climbers".

I like whatever mountain has soft snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snoloco
Listen well to ML as he is a wise man.

My favorite thing about Gore, beside the fact that it's not mountain creek, is the tree skiing. Plattekill too. Plus Plattekill is steep with natural snow.

Sorry I try not to make everything about mountain creek but it just happens.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
Oh Sno, here we go!

It's spending time and making memories with those whom share the passion for "slippin' and a' slidin', and playin' dominoes. Leftin' and a rightin,' it ain't a crime you know" (apologies to Neil).  Skiing/riding presents an opportunity to re-charge yourself and realize that, yes, "may you stay forever young" (sorry, Bob), is not just the lure that hooked us all in; it keeps us moving forward, with a downhill bias.

That being said, I'm a Homer, wherever I ski, it's what you make of it, not the Vert, Uphill capacity, or compressor PSI.  Maybe that's because I've been a Gore Gaper, Hickory Hopper and believed that West is Best since I can't remember when.

Ski you on the Hill.  

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Didn't even read past the first sentence as I know what is in there. But to answer your question. The best thing about about where I usually ski is the opportunity to get out in the fresh air and get some quality exercise while having fun rather than sitting around and deteriorating. Making things exciting enough so I still know I am alive while not taking excessive risks such that I stay that way.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
What's the Best Thing About Where You Usually Ski???

3 things Greek Peak has

#1 Me and my buddies are there
#2 Have decent terrain and good snow
#3 $3 blue light pounders
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
I like the positive spin, and your love for MC reminds me of my love for Belleayre, another local hill in the grand scheme of things. What I love about Belle: It doesn't feel like a money vacuuming machine like the destination resorts, It is just the right level for my kids, It is close enough for a day trip.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I'll play.  Gore.  3 things: trees, varied terrain, lack of crowds.
Bonus:  access to Whiteface.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote

3 things Greek Peak has

#4 Let's not forget about our blond bartender!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
pro2860 wrote
campgottagopee wrote

3 things Greek Peak has

#4 Let's not forget about our blond bartender!

Oh great, now everyone will want to ski there
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Assassination PAss

1.  Orange fences everywhere
2.  No snowmaking or grooming
3.  More snow than Northern VT

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
It doesn't resemble Mountain Creek
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Besides that it's not MC

Whiteface

1. Has the most sustained steep pitch and Vert in the East

2. The Slides

3. Has a great party deck for the spring

4. Is a great area to live

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Coach Z wrote
Besides that it's not MC

Whiteface

1. Has the most sustained steep pitch and Vert in the East

2. The Slides

3. Has a great party deck for the spring

4. Is a great area to live
Your an idiot - a stay puff marshmellow man block head. I can think of a lot of reasons why Whiteface sucks, they're posted all over the internet and I believe everything I read on the Internet. Just for starters:
1) Not all the lifts are High Speed Quads and for god sake they don't have bubble tops.
2) They make snow - the cardinal sin.
3) There is sometimes ice there - how do you think it got the name Iceface - you moron.
4) They allow people to ski in the trees - that's just plain wrong.
5) And when will they put a fucking waffle hut at the top of the summit chair!

Geez - when will you assholes ever learn.

(Happy thanksgiving!)
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Lateski
In reply to this post by skunkape
Same for me with Belle!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by PeeTex
I might not object to a waffle hut but that will just make me fatter than you guys are already calling me
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by Lateski
I can't limit this to just one place, so....

1.  Mount van Hoevenberg.  As often as I've skied there, the trails don't get old.  Lots of thrills and chills, and it's my club's de facto home course.

2.  Prospect Mountain, Woodford VT.  When Kent the short order cook sees you coming into the lodge inn the morning, and he shouts, "Welcome home!" And he means it.

3  Trap Family Lodge.  The views leaving Slayton Pasture Cabin are alone worth the  cost of the trail pass.

@ ml242.  I don't know how bold he is these days, but as of last year, Fred Beckey was still climbing.  Put up many first ascents back in the day.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote

My favorite thing about Gore, beside the fact that it's not mountain creek, is the tree skiing..
and cool locals
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
<quote author="snoloco">
OMG, this has turned into the "be glad your mountain isn't MC" thread.  
freeheeln wrote
Harvey wrote

My favorite thing about Gore, beside the fact that it's not mountain creek, is the tree skiing..
and cool locals
Sno-

Don't be a Don't Bee.  Several Gore natives (fair-weather friends and distant relations) enjoy MC, they had to migrate to that MMSA for reasons other than skiing.  Since they're there, they adopted it for their own; bonus for MC.  Three of 'em taught @ Gore 10+ years, one of whom taught another 10+ at Da' Face, they now coach @ MC.  The others never taught, always played, now have to fly to ski, if schedules permit, otherwise they slide at MC.  Good work if you can get it.

If you bump into any of them, they'll ask YOU if you're OK.  

Happy Thanksgiving from Gaper Valley.

P.S. 10" on the field @ 9PM.