What's the deal with WeWork?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What's the deal with WeWork?

Milo Maltbie
How does WeWork get a $4.7 Billion valuation? Are investors idiots? It's nothing but office building leases with short term sublets. What's the barrier to entry? How do they support the rents you need to make $4.7 Billion?

WorldCom and Enron were bad, but at least they were defrauding with new technologies and/or new regulatory regimes. Smart crooks can always exploit new stuff, but WeWork is just buildings.  What's wrong with the financial system that this stuff happens?

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What's the deal with WeWork?

JasonWx
what i find more disturbing is , the ousted CEO/Founder is getting close to a 1.5 billion $ buyout..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
The biggest part of the buy out was to buy back his stock, so that goes back to the high valuation. Most of the rest was a line of credit. The crazy part was a $140 million consulting contract. Why would you do that? What can he do for that much money?

With all that money flying around, it seems like I shudda been able to grab some of it, but that never happened.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Yeah
It makes no sense.
They should have started a taxi company but convinced their employees to use their own vehicles and the regulators to let them by cloaking the whole thing in tech-y Internet lingo. Or maybe something similar but with vacation rentals.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
 .Com 2.0
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Milo Maltbie wrote
. Smart crooks can always exploit new stuff, but WeWork is just buildings.  
This is my big question about it. It's just... a real estate company? That won't pay a nice dividend like a REIT? And its (former?) CEO is a maniac scam artist?

No thanks.