What wind speed will close the Gore lifts?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What wind speed will close the Gore lifts?

ski2moro
I have plans to go to Gore on Wednesday...BUT...wind advisories have been posted for 20-35 mph and gusts to 50.

It's a long drive for nothing.  What wind speed will force them to close the lifts?
If you are having fun, you are doing it right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What wind speed will close the Gore lifts?

jimvdak
I think it has more to do with the wind direction rather than the speed..if the winds are coming from a certain direction, you dont want the cars smacking into the towers..
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
Absolutely correct...and it depends on which lift. The detachable lifts are most sensitive to high winds when the wind blows straight down the line as the wind will affect the spacing as the cabins/chairs pass through the transfer mechanisms in the upper and lower terminals.
Looking at the forecast, I don't see any serious concerns for Wednesday.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by ski2moro
ski2moro wrote
I have plans to go to Gore on Wednesday...BUT...wind advisories have been posted for 20-35 mph and gusts to 50.

It's a long drive for nothing.  What wind speed will force them to close the lifts?
While I really like the NWS weather forecasts, I find often the wind forecast is overblown.  Definitely recheck the point forecast in the morning. And if you decide to go for it, and the Gondola is running get on it, and go to the top and stay there. I've had a few days where the Gondi went on hold while I was at the top, and it's fun having the place to yourself. From the top of the straightbrook you can see if it's running, or ask patrol.

I've also been down at the bottom when the Gondi went down. Not a huge problem if the triple is running and Wood In is blown - which is not the case now.  I actually bring skins with me to the mountain now so that I can get from the saddle to the top of bear. Without freeheels, you could walk/skate Cloud to Headwaters.

Good luck Ski2.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ski2moro
Thanks for the info.  I'm in the 6 week Wednesday Women's Clinic.  BJ said that she would be there every Wednesday regardless of the weather.  It's a long drive to just sit in the lodge if the lifts are closed.  

It would be so nice to pull the covers back over my shoulder and go back to sleep.  zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
you are more worried about the wind? i m guessing the whole place is set up like concrete or tilted hockey rink
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

ski2moro
This post was updated on .
I went to Gore today.  The area around the lodge was a hockey rink.   The Gondola was open, as was the Sunway, Topridge and Straight Brook chairs. There was very little wind. I didn't get up top because the least aggressive skier in my group was intermediate level.  

The top of the gondola was wind scoured, as was Ruby Run.  Foxlair was boilerplate at the top, but got better as we went down.  There were ice cube size balls everywhere, creating a vibration underfoot.  Wild Air and Showcase were the worst offenders.  Best run of the day, Twister, where they were blowing snow. Of course, you went from hard and fast areas to the sticky, man-made stuff that slowed you down, but it was still good.  

An employee told me that they had stopped the lifts Tuesday because of the rain and ice.  It's supposed to snow tomorrow.  It will get better.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks for the beta Ski2.  Forecast does seem to hold a chance improvement over the next few days.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by ski2moro
ski2moro wrote
I'm in the 6 week Wednesday Women's Clinic.
Lookin good:

Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
wed have been tuff condition all season . i think its been the worst day of the week every week.good to see you all up there working on your skills
Reply | Threaded
|

ski2moro
I'm in another group, but I saw their photo on the Gore website earlier.  

Actually, today wasn't so bad if you like Spring conditions on Feb 1.  The pond at the bottom of Topridge grabbed at your skis and sent a few of the unsuspecting head over heels.  It was foggy and misty at the top of the gondola.  Definitely a Goretex day.

Best thing of the Women's Camp today was the boot fitting discussion.  Garrick, a Certified Pedorthist from Steiner Sports came out, skied with us, and gave a very good presentation.  

BTW, I heard that Chatterbox was open.  I had to leave and didn't get a chance to ski it.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
This post was updated on .
yes chatterbox was open, if you skied in the yestertracks it was good get out of them it was alil punky. who is your instructor?
Reply | Threaded
|

ski2moro
Karen today.  I have also been in the group with Kathleen.  I like them both.