When do you know your a success

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

When do you know your a success

PeeTex
It happened to me Sunday, I spent the day skiing with my Grandaughter (20YO), she said “Poppy, I like skiing with you more than anyone else”. Wow - was that a memory to take to the grave.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: When do you know your a success

Cunningstunts
Banned User
You must not talk to her about politics

jk - that's great.  Nothing better than a grandchild who admires you.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
That’s awesome P-Tex. Skiing around with my daughter and being a good Dad has by far been my best success.

It sure isn’t in making money! Man, I sometimes struggle with guilt on that one but it’s just not me. Material possessions or creating wealth just doesn’t drive me in any sort of way.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
raisingarizona wrote
That’s awesome P-Tex. Skiing around with my daughter and being a good Dad has by far been my best success.

It sure isn’t in making money! Man, I sometimes struggle with guilt on that one but it’s just not me. Material possessions or creating wealth just doesn’t drive me in any sort of way.
+1 except for the money thing. I’m a complete and utter sellout. I’ve been 100% coopted by the corporate machine but I respect both you guys and most of the folks here, regardless of their life choices, politics,whatever. For me, Kids are the top priority. Nothing else brings as much joy
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Word.  

If we were all the same this world sure would be a boring place!
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
When one of your politicrap nemeses sees the spelling mistake in your thread title and clicks on it just to make light of you, but then is forced to read the sentiment behind the title and has to slink away with a warm heart.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote

Don't let making money be your goal. Find a passion that adds to society, be the best you can and the money will come. When it does, don't squander it but don't horde it either. Be happy in your life and your children will be happy to be around you.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Agree Ptex  with the notion that skiing with your grandkids is the apex . Making memories ! Take lots o pics and vids

I am fortunate that we did this with all four grandchildren right up thru college years started them all around 5 yrs old . Even tho they all live more than an 8 hr drive away we were able get in multiple overnights each season at various venues throughout the NE and of course when they all come home for Christmas week

Currently  all are in college or  professional  school and while the boys still ski the girls have developed other interests

Good stuff !!
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
When one of your politicrap nemeses sees the spelling mistake in your thread title and clicks on it just to make light of you, but then is forced to read the sentiment behind the title and has to slink away with a warm heart.
I'm not above making fun of him for his dumb spelling mistakes.

You know you're a success when you learn the proper usage of the words "your" and "you're".

I guess I'll choose not to comment on the rest of the post, except to note that "success" means different things to different people and to lightheartedly point out that the PeeTex that posts on the PolitiCrap forum would dismiss the thoughts of his 20-year old granddaughter immediately:
PeeTex wrote
A 22 year old girl (Women) in todays world is NOT mentally mature
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
MC2 5678F589 wrote
witch hobble wrote
I'm not above making fun of him for his dumb spelling mistakes.

You know you're a success when you learn the proper usage of the words "your" and "you're".

I guess I'll choose not to comment on the rest of the post, except to note that "success" means different things to different people and to lightheartedly point out that the PeeTex that posts on the PolitiCrap forum would dismiss the thoughts of his 20-year old granddaughter immediately:
PeeTex wrote
A 22 year old girl (Women) in todays world is NOT mentally mature
Spelling is not my strong suit.

I did not say I dismissed the thoughts of a 20 year old nor even a 22 year old but I still stand by my comment that a 22 year old is not completely mentally mature or at least not all 22 year olds. Some people never grow up - you are a perfect example of that - in fact you are so immature I dismiss all your musings.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
PeeTex wrote
I did not say I dismissed the thoughts of a 20 year old nor even a 22 year old but I still stand by my comment that a 22 year old is not completely mentally mature or at least not all 22 year olds. Some people never grow up - you are a perfect example of that - in fact you are so immature I dismiss all your musings.
Perhaps actually relevant to personal success, but I'd say that's probably true.  I know it certainly was in my case.  I don't think I really felt like a mature adult until my late 20s or 30s.  Now granted I had a lot of experiences by then and lot of education, but I don't know if the world really made sense to me the way it does now.  Maybe in another 20 years I'll think of how naive I was at 30...

As far it being relevant to men or women, I'd say if anything women seem to mature faster than men.  If we look at things biologically, that has been a necessity for many millennia.  I also recall for most of my years women of the same age group wanted nothing to do with men of the same age group in terms of relationships.  It wasn't until mid-to-late 20s did I notice that starting to matter less.

Not growing up isn't necessarily a bad thing either... just depends on your priorities.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Having our 3 sons skiing since 3-4 years old, and still going at it strong. Guess I'm a good dad since they buy me those overpriced beers at the bar, apre's. Definitely a testimony to one's success IMHO. I'm sure there are many others out there the same...raise a glass, and hats off to you folks. Monetary fortune is my last love. Know lots of miserable rich peep who don't have their shit together other than the $$.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
I had a moment on Sunday, that's for sure. Probably about 8:50a---had just blasted down Fox Lair fresh. We all ducked into Chatterbox and after surfing down about half of it I came to a stop to take a look back at my 2 kids (both were right on my heels). My 14yo daughter--who is a ripping skier but hasn't skied a ton of powder--came to a stop right next to me and underneath her neckup I could see her smiling ear to ear. No words needed.

My 12yo son (who's my usual powder day partner in crime) had only this to say--"why did we stop?"

Love it. Told them both that moment is a memory I'll have forever and makes it all worth it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
POTD.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Awesome P Tex!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Nice ptex
Love that interaction with your family and the connection to skiing through the generations

I didn’t get to ski with my son who is by far my fav ski partner Sunday unfortunately
When we reviewed our ski days afterward he was amazed to find I skied more runs and planned it better than his buddies jack of planning
I always go for Empire 1st thing is my Normon a POW day
Good news is my knee is getting is finally getting better post PT
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
You are lucky I was with my boys Z.  We were first in line for the gondola Sunday and my powder morning routine would be straight to Empire......but they wanted to do Essex.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
It was kind of cool on Saturday when a good friend of ours texted me (they were skiing at Belle) that “Vanessa just said everything I know about skiing I learned from Mr. K”.  They are avid skiers, so that was nice.

Of course even more than that there are my own hard working boys, who are great skiers, and watching my daughter absolutely thrive as she is a semester away from graduating college a semester early.  

That’s my measure, my kids and what my family has been able to do to improve other people’s lives, more so than living a comfortable life of my own.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Well, I haven't stepped on a Lego in years. So I guess there's success in that.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Z
I jumped first tracks.  10 inches on groomed snow on excelsior, It was silly.  Tower ten hill the quad got very loud when we came down.  We all have our routes.  I can usually get untracked all day long. Got to stay ahead of the crowds.  Brought my co workers kid along who can do back flips over me.  I think he was impressed until equipment failure stopped the tour.