Where are you guys/gals going for the super storm?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
50 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where are you guys/gals going for the super storm?

PowderAssassin
snoloco wrote
This is the busiest time of year for my dad at work, so he can't really take much time off if any.  I would totally love to get to Platty for a powder daize.  It would stay untracked all day unlike creek.
Mountain creek doesn't groom everything into flatness after an overnight snow storm?
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
Bromley might be too far north for this one as well.
We are all dying to hear about where you're going to go, and when the roads will be safe enough to drive.

Bromley is going to get an easy 12"+, that's hardly skunked.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
It ain't a super storm for most major ski areas. Not that a foot of fresh (plus) isn't great or a major event, it certainly is. But the super storm status is really limited to coastal areas.

The projection maps seem to suggest that Magic would be the best combination of terrain to total snow ratio (with lifts that will spin). Other SoVT and SoNH areas with high speed lifts might have wind issues (Mount Snow, Okemo, Bromley, Stratton, Crotched, etc.). Gunstock has some fixed grips, not sure how wind affects operations there, but hardly great terrain.

Only problem with Magic is that it is the obvious choice so they'll probably have legit long lines. On the flipside, maybe they won't... metro area drivers won't be able to get out of the city. There are travel bans in place that will limit a lot of traffic.

For myself, I have work obligations this week. But if I didn't have to work, I'd tee up Mad River Glen or Cannon. Those mountains will not get the most snow, but a foot of fresh with no competition at those mountains is worth twice as much almost anywhere else.

Wildcat will probably have the best terrain vs snow total ratio in NH, a really good option... if the quad runs.

Wednesday is a guaranteed "tracked out in two hours" type day everywhere and this coming weekend is going to be an absolute shit show even if we don't get one more inch after this storm is done. Good grief this weekend is going to be insanely busy.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
PowderAssassin wrote
snoloco wrote
This is the busiest time of year for my dad at work, so he can't really take much time off if any.  I would totally love to get to Platty for a powder daize.  It would stay untracked all day unlike creek.
Mountain creek doesn't groom everything into flatness after an overnight snow storm?
No, last storm on 1/24, they left much of the mountain ungroomed.  The only things that were groomed were the beginner areas, major connecting trails across the mountain, flat trails, and the terrain park.  The rest was "pow approved" fresh powder on wide open trails and not in tight glades.  There's even orange netting on some trails.  OMG, Pow, you have just got to visit our mountain sometime!!!  It just seems like a perfect match as long as it is midweek.  I mean it's got the whole package- ungroomed on powder days, wide trails that are always groomed when it doesn't snow, some cheap ticket deals, and best of all, orange netting on some of the trails.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
PowderAssassin wrote
raisingarizona wrote
Michaeltokyo wrote
For deepest snow not steepest or highest:

Campgaw
Yawgoo Valley
Wachussetts
Nashoba Valley
Camden Ski Area (hiking required - still replacing lift)
I don't think any of those will work with 24+ unless you like sitting in the way-back seat and bouncing around a little at 3mph!
Nonsense. Wachusett is totally skiable in 2 feet of powder. It's got steeper trails and MUCH more vertical than snow ridge.  WAWA grooms everything flat whether it's 6 inches or 2 feet so it's irrelevant anyway. You could always put a singl groomer track in flatter areas to get up some speed if it was like 3 feet anway.

You really must not be very good at sking powder if you think you need a 50 degree pitch in order to enjoy some fresh. Seriously, learn to float.  We both know you're not doing anything extreme that people would put on tv/movies so get real. It's about fun. You can totally get a face shot and have a great time at wachusett's pitch. The problem at wachusett for getting powder is CROWDS and the fact that everything would be tracked out so quickly, not it's pitch. But who cares. They stupidly groom everything flat and plenty of people complain about the disgusting amount of grooming and destroying pow

Almost Every ski area he mentioned grooms everything flat anyway so it doesn't matter how "deep" it is since you'll be skiing cord.  Crotched/mt snow/berkshire east/bromley are best bets in new england. Crotched might not do that well this storm due to too much wind though. Wind is the big factor here. It will blow the snow off the trails and expose hardpack. It will not be epic if that happens. Bromley might be too far north for this one as well.

HAHA! You are such a troll. You really gave it all away with this one.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
It ain't a super storm for most major ski areas. Not that a foot of fresh (plus) isn't great or a major event, it certainly is. But the super storm status is really limited to coastal areas.

The projection maps seem to suggest that Magic would be the best combination of terrain to total snow ratio (with lifts that will spin). Other SoVT and SoNH areas with high speed lifts might have wind issues (Mount Snow, Okemo, Bromley, Stratton, Crotched, etc.). Gunstock has some fixed grips, not sure how wind affects operations there, but hardly great terrain.

Only problem with Magic is that it is the obvious choice so they'll probably have legit long lines. On the flipside, maybe they won't... metro area drivers won't be able to get out of the city. There are travel bans in place that will limit a lot of traffic.

For myself, I have work obligations this week. But if I didn't have to work, I'd tee up Mad River Glen or Cannon. Those mountains will not get the most snow, but a foot of fresh with no competition at those mountains is worth twice as much almost anywhere else.

Wildcat will probably have the best terrain vs snow total ratio in NH, a really good option... if the quad runs.

Wednesday is a guaranteed "tracked out in two hours" type day everywhere and this coming weekend is going to be an absolute shit show even if we don't get one more inch after this storm is done. Good grief this weekend is going to be insanely busy.
I was kinda thinking along those lines. Plattekill is predicting 12+. I'm always thinking along the terms of living in NJ since that's where I grew up. I think I would rather drive less, have less snow, and less of a crowd than deal with Manashutten or whatever it's called dealing with Powass and his wicked hawd caw friends.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
None of your friends could drive? Come on kid, make it happen. Get a hooker from Patterson and pay her to drive you. Then post up a TR and become the most famous internet skier of ALL TIME!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Whatever happened to Magic and being core ripping down Magician on a powder day?  I think I might make that my warmup run.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Just drove from Saratoga to Albany in 35 minutes during rush hour... man did this storm have a way of missing the 'dacks and New York in general.  
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Ya, it went east and north. Southern Maine looks like the target now. Sunday River?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
snoloco wrote
I went to Mountain Creek and many other people had the same idea.  Lines exceeded 10 minutes and were poorly managed with people pushing and shoving.  I left due to crowds.
The line in that middle photo had to be more than 10 minutes. And yeah, when you have a line like that and then see only 2 people on a quad chair, I would agree that the line is poorly managed.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Good to see the "new" MC ownership bringing back the good old days of VV/GG to today's sliders. What a sheet show.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
When I skied there as a kid all of the lift towers had alcohol and cigarette adds on them. It was a magical mountain experience in the Dirty Jerz!
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
Sno-

In your second photo, which I assume you took from the Quad looking back to base area, the two customers on the Quad (four-person) chair behind you have yet to lower the safety bar, perhaps because the person on the right (white jacket ) is grabbing onto anything he/she can hold onto, so as not to slide off the slippery seat.  Did said customer complete the ride to the terminus?  Hopefully yes.  The other customer on the same chair appears to be a snowboarder; also in some distress from what I can discern.

What's the take-away, given the photo and your commentary?  Get thee outta-there, go North young man and never load a chair with a snowboarder unless you know they can ride & rip, or if she's a hot boarder-chick.

Just sayin'
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
snoloco wrote
I went to Mountain Creek and many other people had the same idea.  Lines exceeded 10 minutes and were poorly managed with people pushing and shoving.  I left due to crowds.

Man...that's brutal. If it was free, I wouldn't go. Do you know how much money that place must be making? Time for NJ to get another ski hill to spread the crowds out or for mountain creek to double the amount of trails they have. You can't just increase lift capacity. That would make the trails overcrowded.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
snoloco wrote
I'm wondering... is that lot in the background all the parking or is there more outside of the shot?

If that's everyone who was there, seems like the lines would clear up as people got spread out. How many lifts spun?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
NEW JERSEY WILL NEVER HAVE A DECENT SKI AREA HERE IS WHY: The highest point in New Jersey is only 1800 feet above sea level. Compare that with say, Kirkwood: Base Elevation is 7800 feet. Peak is 2000 feet above that at 9800 feet! But wait, MC is not even close to 1800 feet in elevation. The "Peak" sits at a paltry 1490 feet, and decends to a lofty base of around 450 feet. Heck, just slide right into the sea from there.