Where are you guys/gals going for the super storm?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
50 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Where are you guys/gals going for the super storm?

raisingarizona
I'm bored and watching the weather, I'm also wishing I was storm chasing on the east coast. Looking at the projections I was trying to figure out the best place for this storm but I haven't skied any of the smaller areas sitting in the bulls eye of this one. Crotched? Jimminy? Magic? What are the best options for totals but also the best mountains with enough pitch to make the 18+ worth while?

Anyways......I hope you kids are getting after it this week! Bon appetit!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Where are you guys/gals going for the super storm?

raisingarizona
Don't let me down Loco! You better be skipping class and at the Creek.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Work :(
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
East.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Florida
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
After I dig out, I'm heading to the Randolph NJ municipal trail system and setting tracks old school.  If I'm feeling ambitious I might go to Lake Minnewaska or to Mohonk Preserve.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Magic
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
Minne could be some really sweet touring.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Everyone should really head here though:

http://nyskiblog.com/beast-in-the-backyard/
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
That was a great blog post ML. Likely they'll get a dump. With all the wind forecasted, the day after may be better.

Here, I bet we get 2". Bummer. It's unbelievable how much snow just misses this area.
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
For deepest snow not steepest or highest:

Campgaw
Yawgoo Valley
Wachussetts
Nashoba Valley
Camden Ski Area (hiking required - still replacing lift)

sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
i will be at magic. great place after a storm especially when they have a good base. plus chair will be out of what wind is left over.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
I feel your pain buddy.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Everyone should really head here though:

http://nyskiblog.com/beast-in-the-backyard/
That little hill looks really cool. It's on my list of soulful little areas I want to ski if I ever get back that way.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Michaeltokyo
Michaeltokyo wrote

Campgaw
Yawgoo Valley
Wachussetts
Nashoba Valley
I don't think any of those will work with 24+ unless you like sitting in the way-back seat and bouncing around a little at 3mph!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Maybe Dad's situation at work will change Sno. Besides, he'll probably get the itch to shred.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Michaeltokyo wrote

Campgaw
Yawgoo Valley
Wachussetts
Nashoba Valley
I don't think any of those will work with 24+ unless you like sitting in the way-back seat and bouncing around a little at 3mph!
Nonsense. Wachusett is totally skiable in 2 feet of powder. It's got steeper trails and MUCH more vertical than snow ridge.  WAWA grooms everything flat whether it's 6 inches or 2 feet so it's irrelevant anyway. You could always put a singl groomer track in flatter areas to get up some speed if it was like 3 feet anway.

You really must not be very good at sking powder if you think you need a 50 degree pitch in order to enjoy some fresh. Seriously, learn to float.  We both know you're not doing anything extreme that people would put on tv/movies so get real. It's about fun. You can totally get a face shot and have a great time at wachusett's pitch. The problem at wachusett for getting powder is CROWDS and the fact that everything would be tracked out so quickly, not it's pitch. But who cares. They stupidly groom everything flat and plenty of people complain about the disgusting amount of grooming and destroying pow

Almost Every ski area he mentioned grooms everything flat anyway so it doesn't matter how "deep" it is since you'll be skiing cord.  Crotched/mt snow/berkshire east/bromley are best bets in new england. Crotched might not do that well this storm due to too much wind though. Wind is the big factor here. It will blow the snow off the trails and expose hardpack. It will not be epic if that happens. Bromley might be too far north for this one as well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REPLIES TO POSTS BELOW DUE TO POSTING LIMIT::***************************************************

Explain how this is trolling raisingarizone? If you can ski 5 feet of powder at snow ridge, you can handle 2 feet at wachusett. It has basically the same pitch at wachusett at trails like smith/10th just with twice the vertical. Wachusett grooms everything flat ALWAYS. This is not trolling. It's facts. 50mph+ winds  = suck ass powder on the trails and lift closures at higher areas. It alls gets blown off the trails! Jay peak is notorious for wind even when there's none in the valley. That's why everyone is in the woods at jay peak. TOO MUCH WIND. It compacts the powder and blows it off the trails. Same with whiteface. Wachusett is a complete joke with all the crowds. They need to expand the mountain. They are closed today anyway. As if they couldn't open in the afternoon?!!??

Bromley only got a few inches out of this storm. Mt Snow has no summit access anyway due to WIND this morning.  

Berkshire east from FB PAGE "Got a couple inches of new snow, wind blew it around some, Berkshire East is open as normal.

NOAA is calling for another 6-10 for Charlemont today, so there is hope..."

Thank you for the honesty berkshire east! What a great ski area! One of the few that actually leaves a lot of powder on trails!

Again only a few inches. The storm busted for farther north/west areas. GFS was correct. Euro was out to lunch.

Glade, I actually make fun of people who think their "core". I talk about netting and skiing slowly so not sure what you're talking about. I just enjoy having fun.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
Maybe Dad's situation at work will change Sno. Besides, he'll probably get the itch to shred.
I think Wed is a $20 lift ticket day at Platty anyway, that may change his mind.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This is the busiest time of year for my dad at work, so he can't really take much time off if any.  I would totally love to get to Platty for a powder daize.  It would stay untracked all day unlike creek.
I've lived in New York my entire life.