Where should I ski tomorrow?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
33 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Where should I ski tomorrow?

YUKON CORNELIUS
Blacked out at Gore/Whiteface for the next 9 days. Where should I ski? Open to any and all suggestions...
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Where should I ski tomorrow?

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Where (approx) do you live? How far will you drive? Is ticket cost a factor?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
any place west of the Mississippi...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
Where (approx) do you live? How far will you drive? Is ticket cost a factor?
Hoping to keep it within 2-3 hours of the Glens Falls Area...
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
any place west of the Mississippi...
Seriously.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I would suggest Plattekill. Empty compared to lots of "destination" resorts on a holiday weekend, and it just snowed a bit. If you wanted to go to VT I would consider Bolton Valley. Empty, but they've had enough snow to get you in the trees.

These suggestions are both because I'm allergic to holiday crowds. If there was snow, I'd love to be getting to Hickory already.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
Just joking..It's just going to be a warm week..no news there
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Word is that MRG is skiing pretty good.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
You might also consider Magic.  Here's the 20% off online tickets link mentioned below: save 20% here.  Personally I've never skied Magic, but others (Diamond Dave) have said it has been skiing well recently.  Following is an email that I got from Magic a few days ago, with the 20% off link:

Come ski and ride Magic Mountain Vermont for the Winter break. Some may not think it's been much of a winter, but we're still skiing and having a good time! There will be over 5 miles of 1700 foot vertical top-to-bottom runs with none of the crowds or hassle at other mega resorts. Here, we're simply a ski area and it's all about the sport of skiing and snowboarding, with a lot of apres ski music and fun, too--all week long! While Magic has kept skiing affordable with our regular prices all below $60, we thought you might enjoy the opportunity to save a little more--even during the holidays. So, why not come up before winter is really over? Come take the road less traveled to Magic, and see why the stories in the Boston Globe, NY Post, and Rutland Herald are right about those who love our authentic ski mountain and culture so much they actually now own it!

Up to 20% Off Tickets for President's Week  

Only available online
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
K man wrote
Word is that MRG is skiing pretty good.
Adk Jeff wrote
You might also consider Magic.
Bring your rock skis, if that's the case.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Hmmmmm.......Kman's avatar just put a light bulb over my head. Why not Tuckerman's? We'll expect a full report.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
MRG has plenty of cover if you're looking to take a fairly mellow day. Think catamount, canyon, off birdland. Fall line and slalom hill will definitely take a little life off your skis, but they aren't bad.

Magic is pretty damn bare. The only terrain that is open is where they've made snow. All of that is covered and leaves you with almost three ways down the mountain, T2B. Talisman is pretty steep and fun trail, and that's open. For a discounted ticket, you could have fun there.

It isn't quite as much terrain though as Plattekill actually has open right now, and not nearly that of Bolton.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
Ended up scoring an el cheapo ticket to Killington, so I met some friends over there just before 8am. It was very good (as can be this Winter) early. The masses decided to hang out at Bear (it was warm & sunny) & the Superstar Lift, so we spent most of the day moving around to avoid them. East Fall was skiing well. Snowdon skied well (including some glades). Anywhere they left natural was actually kind of nice. A lot of trails with natural cover that looked good were not open. Skiers left of Outer Limits has been left natural all season (I would assume) and was a lot of fun. By about 2:30pm I was spending more time in the left line and/or dodging people on the mountain so I decided to split and have a beer on the access road. It was a good day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Seriously. Tomorrow is the only day available due to work. Is anybody escaping the weather disaster (within range of the metro NY area)? Where will it suck the least?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
nm - I would save my money.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Seriously. Tomorrow is the only day available due to work. Is anybody escaping the weather disaster (within range of the metro NY area)? Where will it suck the least?

LOL
the only place close to us that will be somewhat reasonable is Hunter
That said , It will be  cold and blowing a gale tomorrow..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JasonWx wrote
Brownski wrote

LOL
I was thinking I need to go someplace with good grooming. SVT is getting hammered as bad as us?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by JasonWx
I hate skiing the 1st cold day after a gully washer

I’ll probably wait until Sunday or Monday once they blow some and groom multiple times

This is not setting up to be a good Holiday week to ski
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
JasonWx wrote
Brownski wrote

LOL
I was thinking I need to go someplace with good grooming. SVT is getting hammered as bad as us?

Brown
Svt is getting hammered too
Sleep in
Save the coin
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Z