Where to ski in southern VT this wknd?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Where to ski in southern VT this wknd?

Caber
I have a free day and a buddy near Rutland, any advice? Is K-ton going to be mobbed? Is Bromley worth it if you're over 12?
Thanks, and nice to be here!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Where to ski in southern VT this wknd?

JasonWx
first all the mountains will be crowded..
I like Bromely, nice vibe and more interesting terrain than you think. If I was staying in Rutland, I would probably go to Pico.
Also check out the Magic Mt report...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Pico is a nice mountain when fully open. I used to ski it over MLK weekend to avoid the crowds. Nice easy ride from Rutland. MRG or sugarbush are also reasonable options from Rutland, I think.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
So VT definitely looked like ground zero for this storm track.

If I was free to ski SoVT tomorrow, I'd want to know ...what hills would be overlooked?

Pico? Suicide Six?

Caber what kind of skiing do you like?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Pico is closed on Mondays & Tuesdays, so everything should be untracked tomorrow.  OTOH, it doesn't take much wind for them to shut down the quad to the summit, which shuts you out from a lot of the mountain.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Caber
In reply to this post by Harvey
Thanks for the input. If it were up to me I'd be up at MRG or Stowe. My friend has already nixed Pico, but he's open to Bromley.  I haven't been there in years, but I have good memories.
On a related note, anybody know a ski shop near Bromley that demos tele gear? My Rivas are ready to fall off, and I haven't mounted my Hammerheads yet!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
It looks like they have tele demos at Bromley:

http://www.bromley.com/school/telemark/
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
http://madriverglen.com/
Maybe a little bit more fluff coming this weekend...
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Caber
Well, if money isn't a factor, then Stowe is a great option. However, it isn't exactly Southern. Adult tickets are $92 a day vs. MRG which is $65. The vibes between the two are pretty different.

If you're looking into Bromley, check out Magic. It's 11 miles down the road, and a lot less mainstream of a resort. They have great terrain, virtually won't have any lift lines (their lifts aren't detachable, so it's a better option if you don't mind a longer ride. Less uphill capacity = less people on the trails at once!). Magic is $5 cheaper, not really a big deal. Definitely a more mellow vibe.

Of the four, I'd agree with Suds. MRG.
I really wanted to get to MRG or Magic tomorrow, but my wallet is feeling a bit too light.
Reply | Threaded
|

70s Gore Kid
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY
Reply | Threaded
|

P.MAC
Are we allowed to use the "V" word on HR??  I confess I almost bought a slopeside studio condo at Pico in late 80's/early 90's. Back then I could rent it for $100 per night and the guy wanted to sell it for... well, cheap. I really liked Pico (the mountain) but I loved Gore. My wife's pragmatism prevailed. She kept reminding me that it was 6.25 hrs to Pico from our Jersey Shore home and just under 5 hours to Gore. When hiking and kayaking came into the equasion, we decided to wait and look for property near Gore and have never regretted it. Also, Killington bought Pico and that ended a lot of the good things about Pico... Sorry, your friend already nixed Pico. Time to shut up. I'm home with an injured knee and boared
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
P.MAC wrote
Are we allowed to use the "V" word on HR??
I know P.MAC makes this comment tongue-in-cheek. But it seems like an opportunity to make a point.

We see Harvey Road as a website (blog/forum/magazine) for New York Skiers.  People who ski New York. Vermont is a important part of the equation. Southern Vermont is very close to much of our audience.

Currently, for a variety of reasons, I'm tied to skiing primarily in the Adirondacks, and day tripping the Catskills. So you'll see a lot of my reports coming from the Empire State. (Actually I hope to have a destination surprise or two this year.) But our other authors have real flexibility to travel, and they will report from all over North America this season.

As the TR Forum states ... we welcome reports and beta for New York, Vermont, the Northeast, The West and of course The Hinterlands.

Carry on.

Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
If you don't want any crowds and don't really mind the size of the mountain (I think it's <1000 feet vertical), how about the Middlebury Snow Bowl? Cheap, and they've been getting a TON of snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Caber
Thanks for all the input. Looks like we'll be at Bromley. Hope to see some of you there - I'll be the big goofy-looking guy in yellow Garmonts and an orange parka.
-Dave