Where will you go when things start to open up?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
46 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where will you go when things start to open up?

Kleetus
Flying to finish up my instrument rating. I was so close to taking my checkride. Then this happened. Not cool to be flying 2ft from my instructor in a plane with no airflow. My instructor is still flying since flight training is associated with airports which are "essential", but probably not the smartest thing I think given the need to stay home. Also ATC has not been too happy with folks calling up asking for practice approaches.

Really want to get it out of the way as it's taken some time and so I can move on to my commercial. Thinking of transitioning to being a professional pilot and need to get that next rating. Given the economy may not be a good idea but been trying to escape my current job.
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Camp,
Recipe was 55gal charred used white wine barrel, uv sterilized juice, used some of the sulfite stuff per directions to keep things "clean", bunch of brown sugar, honey, non sulfured molasses, champagne type yeast that can handle EtOH. Keep it cool so it doesn't go to fast. Decant to glass carboys a couple weeks after it stops. Let those sit. It gets smoother the longer ya let it sit. We transfer the carboys to jugs or growlers for refrigerated storage before consumption. If ya mix it with a bud light it'll make a craft beer out of one of those. A Stella mix is better. Drinking it straight is like a white wine, on the dry side but smooth. Last time I called they still were pressing apples but that was a couple weeks ago. It's some work but if ya like what ya do it isn't work. We only made 2 carboys of new stuff this winter as we still have some of last years model. It ages well. History of cider is a lot like beer history.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Kleetus
Good luck , with getting your ratings..
I know a Jet Blue Captain..He's home playing tiddlywinks..Unfortunately there's gonna be a glut of pilots when this is over..

ATC should be happy someone is flying, I can't imagine they have much work..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
JasonWx wrote
Good luck , with getting your ratings..
I know a Jet Blue Captain..He's home playing tiddlywinks..Unfortunately there's gonna be a glut of pilots when this is over..

ATC should be happy someone is flying, I can't imagine they have much work..
They also don't have much staff. All facilities all shifts are working with absolute minimum staffing and they are working 5 days on, then get 10 days off. Unfortunately ATC is one of those things you can't really do social distancing with (especially in the Tower) so this is the way they are trying to slow the spread in the facilities. There have also been a lot of facilities that have been temporarily shut down for varying periods of time because a controller working a shift tested positive and they needed to clean the whole facility.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tirolski
Dang! We pressed our own apples from our own apple trees. Doin that will a hand cranked press is really quite something 💪. We didn't add much of anything, as I recall. We checked sugar levels? I think? One of the guys was looking through some kind of meter. He's involved in the biz on the filtration side of things. For example, Citizen Cider is one of his customers.

We need help. Ours was terrible 😭
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Camp. We picked ground apples 40 years ago and filled Moms Pontiac full and squeezed em using the old cider burlap press technique an antiques dealer had that he let us use. Much easier to just buy uv treated juice.
I bought my brother a beer making kit for Christmas one year, not condoning consumption, but figured something interesting and fun to do as ancestors were known to make some batches if they needed a winter coat...
(the beer kits come with pretty much all the stuff ya might need for cider) Stopped and picked the local wineshop guys brain for some helpful tips too) Cider is much easier than beer as there's no need to boil the stuff. The UV-sterilized juice is pretty cheap, the hardest part was transporting the 55 gal in the suuby without spilling. We got some 5 gal buckets with lids from tractor supply and made a couple short trips. It was too cold when we started, so we made an insulated styrofoam box with electric space heater on very low temp setting for temperature control. The higher temp cause volatile flavor components to off-gas when the CO2 bubbles. Ya just want a bubble a second or so. Brother found watching it bubble very relaxing... especially with a cold brew in the other hand. The 2 six gal carboys we made this winter were much easier to handle and deal with but still quite heavy to move when needed. The yeast that settles out when first fermentation finishes is useful as stuff for other things. Sister doesn't drink but wanted some cider to do the cider vinegar thing. I'm no expert but I'll continue to make the stuff every year as it's similar to wine making but easier as well as fascinating. Brother & I each did a carboy. He put a lot more brown sugar in his. It'll be interesting to compare how they each turn out. I've noticed the flavors, "quality" changes with age definitely for the better, but minimize contact with air. I'll bring some to your campfire after dang lockdown's over.