Where will you go when things start to open up?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
46 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Where will you go when things start to open up?

wonderpony
First, let me acknowledge that COVID-19 is still a MAJOR ISSUE.  No argument there.  My son is working in Wyckoff, NJ.  I now know about as much about their coronavirus statistics as I do about Tompkins County.  But, I'm not in panic mode anymore.

But, let's say that NYS starts opening up.  What would you do?  Where would you go?  How would you change how you are currently living?  Also, please include where you live. I think that people downstate will probably have a different perspective than those of us that are more secluded.  

Thanks!

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Where will you go when things start to open up?

warp daddy
This post was updated on .
We will continue to live In NNY along the St Lawrence River . Being retired and well situated in a low density , highly affordable and scenic area ,i see little change . We have many beautiful locations closeby

The notable EXCEPTION is  we will NOT use Hotels and Motels Until such time as a vaccine is readily available and "proven " effective . Ergo ,extended travel out of our region is unlikely unless we,stay with our adult children in their homes and vice versa  .

Why : i have been involved with Hospital Governance in 2 different hospitals for 26 yrs as a Board person , I have little confidence in any data or pronouncements coming from any individual other than eminently qualified medical or scientific authorities . That said , i think Governor Cuomo,has done a great job in this crisis listening to his medical and scientific advisors and has erred on the side of caution .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by wonderpony
wonderpony wrote
 What would you do?
Go back to working in a cubicle instead of on my back deck, enjoy less crowded trail systems, sadden my dog by leaving every day, drink less, enjoy seeing the people I haven't seen in a while, enjoy sports on TV again
Where would you go?
Similar places I go to now: bike path, mtb areas, nature preserves, parks. Further out, I'd go check on my parent's camp for them. I'd schedule a couple of skiing trips for next year, maybe a mountain bike trip in the fall.

How would you change how you are currently living?
 Would be nice if they let people work from home more, but that's not likely, so it will be a seamless transition back to the cube.

I guess I'll avoid large gatherings for a while (I stopped going to movie theaters before the pandemic). Would watch sports but not go to games, concerts, crowded bars, etc. Might make an exception to that rule for a Saratoga Track Day.

Not going to wear a mask if I don't have to.

I'd take more ADK weekend trips instead of sticking around here. I'd get a haircut. I'd get a car wash.

Also, please include where you live
Albany Suburbs
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by wonderpony
I'd do exactly what I am doing for 2 or 3 weeks and see what happens to the curve.

Except I would walk on the trails that are closed now.

Our camp when I could do it without 14 day quarantine.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
WP  What would you do? 
Pretty much what I'm doing now but more often, except get my regularly scheduled dental stuff done (emergency stuff only now and if ya keep dentists closed more stuff will be"emergencies". I schedule my trips "out" now to a couple places on the same trip. Probably post less here too unfortunately.
 Where would you go?  
Same places I do now but also visit relatives and friends at their abodes instead of virtually. Sunday morning church too.
How would you change how you are currently living? 
See above. Not much change. No need.
Also, please include where you live.
Comfortable smaller older house north of you.

It looks like I'm pretty "set in my ways" but this self reflection stuff is tough. And I'd much rather BS with folks in person than type on a computer or talk on a phone
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I’m looking forward to dinner at Liquids and Solids in LP and summer beers at Ausable Brewery in keeseville.  The brewery being an outside experience is more likely to happen sooner.  L&S is I pretty cramped space but dam the food is good.

I had planned a summer vacation with my wife in Spain that is cancelled.  Still waiting on my refund from American Airlines.

Might do some kind of trip to Quebec or Nova Scotia in August instead if things are ok then. if not just stay home in the Daks which if things are not great with Covid will be unusually uncrowded for summer time.

I’ve always worked remotely for the last 15 yrs so no big change there.  At some point i have to start visiting my major customers again instead of using go to meeting.  Most businesses have a no visitors policy currently so that might not get rolled back until mid summer.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
go mtb...

visit friends
eat at my favorite Thai Restaurant ..Browne it's in Pearl River
just normal stuff
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Road trips to ADKs, Catskills, and elsewhere.  Ray Brook Brewhouse and Ausable Brewery.  Consume a pint at my local nano brewery when home.  Visit people.  NENSA's summer roller ski race schedule is on hold, I have my doubts about that right now.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by JasonWx
I have a big burn pit and typically would've had a party by now enjoying a big bonfire.

I'll do that in celebration once this is over.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
The first handshakes/hugs are gonna be weird.

Do you initiate? Do you back away if someone goes for one?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
I have a big burn pit and typically would've had a party by now enjoying a big bonfire.

I'll do that in celebration once this is over.

I like it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
MC2 5678F589 wrote

Seeing Scottski this weekend and not being able to shake his hand was weird and hard.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote

Last week I gave my buddy a hug as his father's body returned home. Today we lay him to rest, full military burial. It will be especially emotional for me, military burials always remind me of my grandfather. I'll give him a hug today as well.

That said, I think it will be a long time before I start shaking hands with people at work.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote

Seeing Scottski this weekend and not being able to shake his hand was weird and hard.
I do the "Air Handshake" and say it.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
We scrapped any thought of the trip to California we’d been planning for this summer.  At the risk of giving someone more “ammunition”, I don’t think we’ll go anywhere near WDW.  Who knows if we’ll be able to physically visit colleges with our youngest.  Won’t want to be staying in hotels anytime too soon, anyway.  So, we’ll spend a lot of time at our place on Cape Cod.  Wonder if CV-19 will have scared off the Great Whites?  One can always, futilely, hope.  Might be time to invest in Shark Shield Freedom+ Surf units for the surfboards....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
gonna be spending a lot a time on the cape...at least i have a car up there with Mass plates..NY plates might not be welcomed if this doesn't calm down
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Harvey wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote

I do the "Air Handshake" and say it.

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Relevant:

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/4/22/21228651/opening-up-save-economy-trump-coronavirus-pandemic-shutdown

Politicians hoping to jolt the economy back to life might be in for some disappointment when they discover governors can let businesses reopen but they can’t force people to patronize them....
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
If you are going quote Vox I’ll start posting Fox News in response

The leftist media is rooting for this to go on for as long as possible and for the economic damage to be as bad as possible at least until early November
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
vox wasn't really a political article...
but i think it's true..
i can't imagine people rushing back to crowded restaurants or events for sometime..
"Peace and Love"