Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where would you choose to live...

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
raisingarizona wrote
NOT! Nope, I just really like boobs.

Me too.  
WAIT! How can you even see them when you're flopping around in the water on your bike
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
raisingarizona wrote
NOT! Nope, I just really like boobs.

Me too.  
The nurses in the asylum not watching you today
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Harv the taking the skiing out variable is hard to wrap my head around

I really like where I live now I just would like more snow but we are supposed to eliminate that.  If skiing didn't exist I might consider living in AZ in the winter and play golf.  My parents live in the high desert and it's pretty darn nice but I would not want live there in the summer.

I've also dreamed of living the expat life Ireland is really nice and it's the climate I can live and they speak English. Golf is great there and the food is good.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
I am attracted to water and am a hermit by nature. Can't afford it but I would like to live here in the summer. It is actually not that far from where I live now, but a world apart. You could turn it into a B & B for sea kayakers. Shoulder seasons and winters on Vancouver Island would be nice. Pleasant climate, seafood, boating, biking, surfing, groovy people and even skiing. Reasonably easy access to airports and other destinations.

All this in one country!
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Sick Bird Rider wrote
I am attracted to water and am a hermit by nature. Can't afford it but I would like to live here in the summer. It is actually not that far from where I live now, but a world apart. You could turn it into a B & B for sea kayakers. Shoulder seasons and winters on Vancouver Island would be nice. Pleasant climate, seafood, boating, biking, surfing, groovy people and even skiing. Reasonably easy access to airports and other destinations.

All this in one country!

I'm in, let's snap it up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
live here
That place looks awesome.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
I'm in, let's snap it up.
Harvey wrote
That place looks awesome.
OK, pardners, who gets to buy the boat? That place is way out there, I would estimate 45 minutes to an hour powerboat ride from the nearest parking spot. A friend and I did a canoe trip up that coastline years ago, before it became infested with kayakers. We would have paddled by there on our second day out from putting in at Britt, Ontario.

You would rent a parking spot and boat slip at a local marina or lodge, then commute. The island for sale is the one where the measured route starts:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Bellingham, Wa
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I am young, and haven't seen much of the world off the East Coast, so I am not sure I can do a good job of answering this question. From what I have seen, There is not another State I like better than New York. I honestly feel very privileged to live in such a Beautiful state. Central New York (where I live) is kind of boring, but a short drive can either have you in the most densely populated area of the world, or on top of 5000' mountain. If I were to stay in NY long term, I would want to relocate somewhere closer to the Hudson valley.

I am having an extremely difficult time imagining "Not taking skiing into consideration at all" because I don't think a day goes by when I don't think about it. If skiing were not in the picture I would want to live somewhere where it didn't rain very much. Maybe Nevada. There's great mountain biking there, and it's dry.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Sick Bird Rider wrote
You would rent a parking spot and boat slip at a local marina or lodge, then commute. The island for sale is the one where the measured route starts:
I was thinking of doing the same thing as I figured it is a complete fantasy.
It's a lot like living in Newcomb, nothing is convenient.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
PeeTex wrote
I was thinking of doing the same thing as I figured it is a complete fantasy.
It's a lot like living in Newcomb, nothing is convenient.
Living, even seasonally, on an island like that would take "living off the grid" to whole new level. It would not be everyone's cup of tea and you have to be very wise in the use of resources. For example, think of the logistics (and cost) of getting a season's worth of firewood out there.

If we are keeping this at the "money is no object" level, this would be the first boat you would buy:

Yes, it is a landing craft.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
This is a weird question, because skiing always factors into it for me, so my list of places that I want to live always includes places with fun mountains that get snow. Taking that out of the equation, it's hard to imagine what I'd look for. I still like mountains, so probably somewhere with mountains. I like uncrowded lakes, so some Western places are out. I'd want solid mountain biking. I'd want a place with nice, walkable towns. Probably some place foreign, because I've lived in the U.S. for long enough.

Hmmmm... Sweden, maybe? Nice blonde women, lakes, great National Parks. I've never been there, but it seems cool. Short days in the Winter, though. And I'd have to learn a new language. That kinda sucks.

New Zealand? Wanaka is still one of my favorite places in the World. Vancouver Island looks cool and supposedly has incredible mountain biking. If I went fully away from mountains, some smallish beach community on the Australian coast or the California coast would be cool.

Looking back at my prerequisites, the ADKs/VT/NH/Maine are pretty close to my ideal. I'm still looking for the perfect place in New England, though. In this "no-skiing" scenario, I would need a grocery store in quick bike commute distance, mountain biking out my door, and water (lake, swimming hole, floatable River, etc.) nearby.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
mattchuck2 wrote
This is a weird question
My thought was that a "where is the ideal place for a skier to live" thread has been done a lot and you get "Utah has the best snow but I don't like the culture" kind of stuff.  I was just wondering what people valued in living in addition to skiing.  I was trying to say assume the place you choose had "good skiing" even if it doesn't.

It started with a back channel rant from another forum member about wanting to move out west.  I said "ok...do it" and he said "I don't want to leave my family and friends."

It got me wondering what others thought.  Maybe half baked. Carry on.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
This is a weird question, because skiing always factors into it for me, so my list of places that I want to live always includes places with fun mountains that get snow. Taking that out of the equation, it's hard to imagine what I'd look for. I still like mountains, so probably somewhere with mountains. I like uncrowded lakes, so some Western places are out. I'd want solid mountain biking. I'd want a place with nice, walkable towns. Probably some place foreign, because I've lived in the U.S. for long enough.

Hmmmm... Sweden, maybe? Nice blonde women, lakes, great National Parks. I've never been there, but it seems cool. Short days in the Winter, though. And I'd have to learn a new language. That kinda sucks.

New Zealand? Wanaka is still one of my favorite places in the World. Vancouver Island looks cool and supposedly has incredible mountain biking. If I went fully away from mountains, some smallish beach community on the Australian coast or the California coast would be cool.

Looking back at my prerequisites, the ADKs/VT/NH/Maine are pretty close to my ideal. I'm still looking for the perfect place in New England, though. In this "no-skiing" scenario, I would need a grocery store in quick bike commute distance, mountain biking out my door, and water (lake, swimming hole, floatable River, etc.) nearby.

umm Wilmington bro...
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
The nurses in the asylum not watching you today

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Sick Bird Rider wrote
If we are keeping this at the "money is no object" level, this would be the first boat you would buy:

Fixed it for you
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
...if skiing was not a factor?

Let' say all areas of the world had equal snow and terrain, or maybe the sport was never even invented or imagined?

I'm curious.
For me its not where you are its who you're with that's more important for a happy life. That said if I didn't ski I'd like to live in a place where it never snowed, low humidity and was sunny 300 days a year.

I wouldn't want to live in a large city, but not a small town either. A town like Saratoga would work.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow

One hour outside of Las Vegas.

If skiing were no object, I would in or near Las Vegas because of the near ideal weather, and the industry opportunities. Also great mountain biking.

And just in case I decided to take up skiing while I was there........

This is right near the house pictured above.

This is my uncle who lives in Vegas.

It snows in the upper elevations, and its hot, and dry in the lower elevations.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
Newport or Huntington beach CA
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
One of the reason why I love where I live....crappy cell phone pics but you'll get the idea. These are all from yesterday.

Started the morning with ducks on my pond.

Then the turkey s came out

Then the deer

Just before dark the deer and turkeys both hit the hill --- deer on the left and turkeys on the right