40 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Where would you choose to live...

Harvey
Administrator
...if skiing was not a factor?

Let' say all areas of the world had equal snow and terrain, or maybe the sport was never even invented or imagined?

I'm curious.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Where would you choose to live...

MikeK
Banned User
In a van down by the river.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
And to add to the fantasy , money is no object ...so i would have several locations. Why limit yourself ?

I d own a lodge in the Alps , preferably Switzerland ( numbered bank accts , taxes ). The Caymans ( ditto ) , the Rockies  maybe Jhole. And the American Rhine ( right here in the 1000 islands )

OKAY what follows  is massive sarcasm and POLITICAL and meant as a tail-twister : 👹 So  like lots of other rich bitches you could offshore your resources, avoid taxes and screw your fellow 'Murican  
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by MikeK
MikeK wrote
In a van down by the river.
Think he meant somewhere that you weren't living now.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by Harvey
Although I have fallen in love with WA state since moving here, after reading a bunch trip reports from JamesDeluxe... I have decided to retire somewhere in Europe.

Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
You may think I was joking...

but there is truth to the van.  It can take you many places and let you make your home where your head lies.

If I had the money or know-how, I would be a nomad.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Your premise does not work, you have to consider the things you can do in the location you choose, if the world were one homogenous blob who would care.

The second factor is what stage in life you are, young & unmarried might take you to places where it's easier to meet new people, young with kids you might want better neighborhoods and schools, middle aged an no kids, better access to cultural activities and easy travel, retired, better healthcare and friendly taxes.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
all  things being equal...same friends and family...I would go with Hawaii..I just love the place...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PeeTex

I basically said considering everything but skiing, where would you (you) like to live.  It's a hypothetical. I never said the world was a homoblob. I'm assuming you will consider your life stage and everything else that matters to you except skiing.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
I'm going to have to think about this for a little while. Maybe Spain?

Can I be single and in my twenties again?

I'm with MikeK on the van dwelling life. If I were in my 20's and a set for life funder it's what I would be doing. It's what I hope to be doing part time once I'm done with school. I'll base out of Flag and hopefully get to the point where I have four day weekends that I can use to travel and explore the four corners region. If I were a twenty five year old funder I would live the gypsy life for years and not work, that's not my reality though.

Another dream of mine would be being that funder and traveling for many years with nothing more than what I could fit into my backpack. To walk the land every day but also be able to get a hotel room and shower at any point. That's my ultimate dream. In my twenties I was a real deal dirtbag ski bum and there is nothing like that kind of freedom when you have no obligations or restrictions. I didn't have a fund but I would work enough to eat and have some kind of housing but I wouldn't let myself become locked into anything that made it impossible for me to just pick and go whenever I felt like it. My fondest memories are of hitch hiking across states such as Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming with my back pack and ski gear. We would sleep under the stars without a care as to where we would be the following day. Most people don't even know what that kind of freedom is really like and now that life has got a good hold on me I doubt I'll get to experience it like that ever again. This is why I said in a another thread that I think our society puts to much pressure on kids to get focussed on a career and have them believing that retirement is so crucial. Having experienced that kind of freedom all of that other bullshit doesn't look as attractive as they want you to believe it is.

So back to the topic.....Spain, ya I'm going with Spain for now. There are topless beaches filled with beautiful woman within an hours drive of alpine ski resorts or so that's how I imagine it anyways.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
raisingarizona wrote
This works for me too...Last year I drove all around Spain for 2 weeks..I can get behind this idea..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I don't know much about it other than some very minor research and some pictures that I have seen. It looks freaking sweet though!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In all honesty  I could live anywhere I wanted to, really. That said I like where I live right now. I don't need/want much,  and I have such a great group of close knit friends that I couldn't give up. I'm very content in my A-Frame right here in the Virgil Valley.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Your premise does not work, you have to consider the things you can do in the location you choose, if the world were one homogenous blob who would care.

The second factor is what stage in life you are, young & unmarried might take you to places where it's easier to meet new people, young with kids you might want better neighborhoods and schools, middle aged an no kids, better access to cultural activities and easy travel, retired, better healthcare and friendly taxes.

Anal Retentive Town , USA for this guy ^^^  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote

So back to the topic.....Spain, ya I'm going with Spain for now. There are topless beaches filled with beautiful woman within an hours drive of alpine ski resorts or so that's how I imagine it anyways.

WTF bro!!  You go all deep into the I'm a free spirit want to wonder the earth as a truly enlightened zen master and you follow up with I want boobie beach?   You are not being honest with us.....   
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
In all honesty  I could live anywhere I wanted to, really. That said I like where I live right now. I don't need/want much,  and I have such a great group of close knit friends that I couldn't give up. I'm very content in my A-Frame right here in the Virgil Valley.
CampRegularFolk from Simpleton County!!  HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
campgottagopee wrote
CampRegularFolk from Simpleton County!!  HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AFUCKINMENBRO
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Healy, AK
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
WTF bro!!  You go all deep into the I'm a free spirit want to wonder the earth as a truly enlightened zen master and you follow up with I want boobie beach?   You are not being honest with us.....  
Zen master? Oh hell no, that's not me. I can barely get through my chemistry homework without wanting to punch someone right in the face. I just dig on freedom and living with as little attachments/responsibilities as possible. Some would say that's lazy, I would say I don't give a f--k what those A-holes think. I'm honest, you don't have to like me but you sure can't call me a liar! Plus I don't think you need to be zen to hang out living on family money.

On the boobie beach- Hey man, I'm a multi layered and complicated person and what.... You don't like boobs? I bet heterosexual zen masters like boobs. Maybe I was speaking metaphorically and the topless chicks represent a more free state?

NOT! Nope, I just really like boobs.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
raisingarizona wrote
NOT! Nope, I just really like boobs.

Me too.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!