This post was updated on .
Txt from Suds, Duck and Rocky:

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

MC2 5678F589
First Condition thread of the year! Nice job, fellas.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I heard talk last night, about blowing on Monday.  Speculation maybe, but a high level source.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
They might have a new technology..Cause it's gonna be warm on Monday.. + 7c at 850mb
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Just tellin ya what I heard. Right now I don't see too much snowmaking in the next 14 days. But what do I know.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Harvey wrote
Just tellin ya what I heard. Right now I don't see too much snowmaking in the next 14 days. But what do I know.
Glad I didn't listen to you. Whiteface made some snow somewhere last night.  Overnight temps look good to me for the next week.

Have lift tickets for 11/28 and plan to have a good time!  Will be with family and friends who are blue groomer types, so we don't need too much terrain.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Looks like cold weather will make a return around the 24/25 for a few days..Harv's guess might be right tho
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Whiteface FB page has pic of tower guns blasting under a chairlift from this morning, 11/14.  Can't quite tell which lift.

The overnight temps I'm seeing for LP this week make me think that there will be snowmaking on the mountain all week.  Doesn't really make that much difference to me.  I'm driving up to LP to spend Thanksgiving with my daughter and other friends and family any way.  Getting in a day of skiing is a bonus.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think that's Upper Valley under the Facelift, but will defer to those who know for sure.

Definitely looking colder at night over the next few days at least.  Good luck.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Nice snowfall in the High peaks today.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Looks like the facelift.  From the man:

"Excelsior, Summit express, Upper valley, Lower valley, Fox. No real set early opening plans. The weather looks pretty warm this week but we will make snow when we can. I hope it stays cold in the higher elevations!"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
** PHOTO RELEASE **

Snowmaking is underway at Whiteface Mountain

WILMINGTON, N.Y. --- The snowguns have been turned on and snowmaking is underway on Whiteface Mountain, in Wilmington, N.Y. Crews began making snow, last Saturday, Nov. 13, top to bottom, on Little Whiteface, covering the Excelsior, Summit Express, Upper and Lower Valley and the Lower Fox trails.

Snowmaking will continue tonight, into Tuesday morning and Tuesday evening, in anticipation of opening day, Friday, November 27, 2015.

Photos can be found by visiting https://www.flickr.com/photos/whitefacemountain/.

Photos courtesy ORDA/ Whiteface Lake Placid
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Took the long way home from Potsdam and noticed many of the High Peaks had less snow then when we drove up on Saturday and Whiteface had an apron of white and figured that snow making was going on! Won't be long now!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I bet they open this weekend.  They made a lot of progress so far and are only going to make even more snow.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Devil dog
Hey, First time post but this blog always gets me so stoked. So keep it up everyone!. I went up whiteface last night and unfortunately not as much snow as I was hoping. Still patchy, thin and bumpy. I think whiteface will not be open this weekend, BUT I sure hope it does.  cheers
stay sendy
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Welcome Devil Dog.  Boots on the ground, I like it!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I drove past at lunch at it didn't look too good.  They were making snow up around turn 4-6 in the shade

When I came back past around 4 I pulled in becuase it looks like they groomed lower Valley.  It now looks like it's skiable close to the bottom.  

I may go earn some turns with my son in the morning.  Will report back if I do.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Coach Z wrote
I may go earn some turns with my son in the morning.  Will report back if I do.
Nice!! Get after it. I'd love to see a nice TR of some WF touring. Looks like they might get a little natural for you, too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
mattchuck2 wrote
Nice!! Get after it. I'd love to see a nice TR of some WF touring. Looks like they might get a little natural for you, too.
Yes!  Agree.

Thursday was a setback but Sunday night through Wednesday am looks like a solid opportunity.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I'm probably going on Saturday 12/5 after a visit to Clarkson University the day before.  My entire family will be there including Snomom.  Snodad and I are forcing her to come so she is warmed up for Steamboat come 12/26.

What could we expect to be open?  Would they be running the LWF chair by then or just the gondola and facelift?  I know the Summit won't be ready, but hopefully there are some decent options off Little Whiteface.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
1234 ... 19