classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
156 messages Options
1 ... 5678
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

tjf1967
It be nice if they would rotate lifties from the summit to w chair. They spend a lot of money making snow to just let it melt. Try something different it can't hurt
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Really no reason to be running Bear lift this late in the season
Move those lifties to Lookout.  Hoyt’s was totally skiable.  Why blow it to only operate it for a month or less?

Same issues as always with WF  - no vision in management to make things happen

There is still a lot on snow up high and very few rocks showing.  While a bit sticky in spots it was a fun day for sure.  Still should be good next weekend then I’m ready to play golf - May try for the ski golf double next weekend
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Season Over
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

skithefaceordie
Does anyone know how strictly they observe the no uphill policy at this point in the season?
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I was curious myself.  They made a point of saying “including the Uphill Program” when saying they were closed.  Have they always included that, or is this part of the new sheriff’s approach?  Not that I plan on making it up there.....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

skithefaceordie
Yeah, I’ve been contemplating making the hike up to Skyward. Frankly, what do they have to lose to let someone enjoy what’s left rather than letting it rot?
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Liability this, risk that, I’m sure.

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

skithefaceordie
Of course...Easter actually looks like it could be pretty nice. Going to have to mull it over. Really wasn't counting on this past Saturday being the end at Whiteface.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
If you do it post a pic.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

skithefaceordie
I ended up making the trek up to Whiteface today. It was gorgeous for much of the hike before the clouds started to come in as I moved toward the top. I went up to the top and skied down Upper Skyward to Lower Skyward and Glen. From there I cut over to Excelsior and skied down Valley to the base. Ultimately, the coverage was strikingly reminiscent of what was left over on Cinco de Mayo last year. Conditions weren't superb, but Whiteface could probably have pulled off at least the same terrain they projected last year for Cinco de Mayo, as well as the Northern-facing slopes of Upper Northway and Essex. It definitely would have taken some bridging to make for a continuous run, particularly at the base where Lower Valley was pretty much blown out. It probably would have worked out better to push some snow onto Tom Cat to ski Draper's, where there was still a surprising amount of coverage as compared to Lower Valley. Skyward was good, and would have been even better with sun. Other than Skyward, it was a mostly coarse, somewhat firm surface as a result of the rain and warmth of the past week. Not a bad way to close out Whiteface.
Little Whiteface is mostly blown out.
The top definitely took a significant hit.
Cut in to Skyward.
Coverage on Skyward was very close to that on Cinco de Mayo last year. The top probably could have been covered, as there was a decent patch remaining on Riva Ridge.
End of the day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Thats very cool
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Nice, thought about hiking but wood stacking was the priority before black fly season.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Today at Whiteface? Yup. I jacked this from the ski journals Instagram update.

Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Sa-weet!
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
I remember that kid when he could not ski.  Jumped off a ledge landed back seat and went crotch first into small tree.  Hit dead on.  I cringed watching it.  He got up about five minutes later and never heard another word out of him about his nuts.  He is a good kid, strong to.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Jesus!
Balls of steel
1 ... 5678