156 messages Options
1 ... 45678
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
WF claiming 10”, where did that spring bonus come from?!

Actually, OpenSnow called for the upslope snow snowers.  Here’s hoping the Wed to Fri system over delivers as well.

#rootingforrebecca!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
No no no.   I was on skyward at 9:15 this morning.     Was it good?   Yea!   Maybe three inches at very top?   More likely two?    Six on the far skiers left due to wind.   Ten?    Not this Sunday morning.  Not even close.  More details later.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
The details- skyward was very good with 2 or at most 3 inches of fresh snow and as it was a bit blown to the left maybe six inches on that side.   Probably more importantly what was underneath was very carvable and would have been fun without the coating too.    Second lap was more bass than fresh but good.   Oh Lower Sky was groomed out and very good and well covered right up to the summit chair loading station

Excited to see skiers on Hoyts mid morning and it did not dissappoint.  Also groomed out and carvable.   Kudos to groomer crew!   Nice work on the hill.   Think the elevation saved WF as it wasn’t concrete below.   Wilmington trail skied very well too.   Where did the loop up top come from that goes to the hiking trail ?  

Wilderness not bad but stayed off mt run due to racers scalping it.   A lift would have helped too. Little WF started after 11.  No mt run lift to fill the gap grrrr.    No people around so seemed like staff issue not mechanical.   With the summit and lookout pod (minus lookout) it wasn’t critical.  Over much better than I had expected.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
I’m pretty sure there was a website typo. It read 1-4” early Sunday morning then said 4-10” midmorning.  It’s kind of like a rearrangement of the same numbers and an added 0.  Odd.

While there wasn’t 10”...skiing was really good especially given the pre-weekend weather situation.  I believe the 4” report.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
The way the forecast is shaping up for Thurs night thru Sat morning.....WF could be over 200” by this weekend.  That’s a good haul.  Any whispers around the WF water cooler about the Slides?  It’s getting to be that time of year.  The pack will be making the trip, skins and all, regardless.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
JTG4eva! wrote
Any whispers around the WF water cooler about the Slides?
The slides are unstable and slid a few days ago.  It could happen, but I wouldn't count on it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
.5 was fun!

Skyward today was trenchable wind-packed powder.  

Protected woods are DEEP.  Tomorrow should be interesting.  Groomers (that I hit, not many) are super variable.  From frozen cord to wind buffed carevable.  How it gets skied in, and what 40 degree temps do, and how quickly, will be interesting.  But, it will be fun!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
JTG
Please don’t post photos of stuff where you shouldn’t have been
If it’s on the down low you got to keep it that way
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I hear you, but you are allowed to do that before 8:30, no?  I thought that was the point of the uphill pass.    Early bird gets the worm, and there were other tracks up there.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Pretty sure you need to stay in patrolled area when skinning.  Scotty could confirm.  Still probably best not to post or rules will get more restrictive.  Patrol has become decidedly more risk adverse this yr.

It looked good.  I’ve never skied .5

Since you were there we might as well discuss

Did you get a feel if Slide 1 looks like it could opened?  Maybe just with Avy gear since AK refuses to limit wedge turning 5 yr olds from the slides

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Sorry, you were referring to .5 as where I didn’t belong.  I guess, if the rules are that you can only ski open, designated trails.  Not sure I’ve seen that in the WF safety guidelines, but if it’s there I am most definitely sorry and certainly will never do such a thing again!

As for the state of the Slides, .5 isn’t as long or as steep as parts of the Slides proper.  However, it’s got plenty of ice bulges, it was obviously steep enough to slide, and it’s got hazards and features like any other Slide, just shorter.  I think one issue for the Slides could be that the icy areas around the falls and into 2 might not have the greatest coverage they’ve ever had, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be skied.  Also, I didn’t dig a pit on .5.  The very to of .5 is very well anchored, and the open section below isn’t very steep or long.  With exposure from above perhaps there is some avy risk for the Slides, as mentioned by Harvey.  The wind yesterday wouldn’t have helped any existing avy concerns.

I’d be willing to bet (with my well being, because I’d go) that beacon, shovel, probe wouldn’t be a problem, even as wind affected as the Slides will be....but what I’d be willing to bet doesn’t matter!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
What a great spring day!  Coverage is great, everything carveable, lots of fun, soft cut up powder, silky spring fun mid down, south facing aspects feeling the March sun.  Today is a workout kind of day, but it doesn’t get any more fun.  Mountain run at its ripable best, along with just about everything else.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I’m up with junior today and completely agree. The snow is just awesome
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Maybe they get them open mid week with Avy gear.  I’m in Europe but from the sound of it Avy conditions may be not good there.

The problem is once they open AK gets heat from the GP and I’m guessing the brain trust in marketing to open them fully to anyone.  I sent him the photo from last spring with the wedge turning 5 yr old and he refuses to admit that is an issue nor is willing to do anything about it.  Either some one gets hurt and the slides never open again or they get more restrictive openings instead of just posting a patroller at the top to issue some common sense out.  At min enforcing the sidestepping only no walking up slide in would be a sensible middle ground as that will somewhat prevent the wedge turners.

Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
This post was updated on .
was just up at whiteface today. What a great day. I have a question for ya. Did they blow any snow on cloudspin this year. And what’s up with the little pine trees.  Are they just letting that trail go? Got to ski Hoyt's for the first time. Sweet trail.
Reply | Threaded
|

WoolyBugger
This is a bad thing?
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
No  had a great time skiing it. Just wondering?
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Raymo40
Raymo40 wrote
was just up at whiteface today. What a great day. I have a question for ya. Did they blow any snow on cloudspin this year. And what’s up with the little pine trees.  Are they just letting that trail go? Got to ski Hoyt's for the first time. Sweet trail.
No snowmaking on Cloudspin this year.....I don't think there's been snowmaking there in years.  Not sure why.....could be it's tough to groom.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
They have not made snow of Cloudspin for at least 15 years.  

My assumption is pipes are toast long ago.  Pre AK era they used to blow from top of Parons lines a whale into the rocky top section.  I wish they would do that again but not likely given the messed up strategy or lack thereof currently in place.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Good coverage today.  Warm temps but overcast.  Looks like Hoyt's and W could be open if they wanted.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
1 ... 45678