Whiteface Gondi

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Whiteface Gondi

Grillman
Does anyone know the story behind the "unscheduled maintance" of the Gondi at Whiteface?

bad timing if if will be down a while.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Gondi

Hoser
Been posting comments on another string here for almost 2 weeks asking same question, and heard folks seeming to be in know talking, while in lodge this weekend,  that the downtime is "expected to be up to two weeks"  They brought in the manufactor to assist so no longer just a local solution.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
In reply to this post by Grillman
Crickets...
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Grillman
From the man this morning:

"The bull wheel bearing at the top of the gondola failed 2 seasons before scheduled replacement.

We have 3 of the country’s best technicians working with our crew around the clock to fix this.

Things are going well and we will be back in operation shortly.

I will update you as repairs progress but rest assured we are doing absolutely everything we can right now."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

andrec10
I was there on Saturday and did see one Dopplemayer truck in the lot.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
They don't make 'em like they used to. Was at WF when the summit chair was having it's upper BW bearing inspected up top.

Was there mid-week and really dug the cat rides to the top.
note to self..need to keep eyes open while squeezing shutter button while taking selfie!
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

I'm guessing the 1968 Gore Gondi ran for many years without incident..please correct me if I'm wrong. I heard parts had to be fabricated for repairs as it reached the "end of its service life"
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

skisheep
In reply to this post by Harvey
Hopefully "shortly" is before the weekend when the Xmas crowds come in. In any event, good to hear that they know what the problem is and how to fix it rather than still trying to figure out what's wrong. They won't be completely screwed if they can't get it open for Xmas weekend, but expect some long lines getting out of the base on the Facelift.
ORDA and New England Passholder. If it's fast, it's probably fun.
2014-2015 season days
Whiteface: 2
Sunday River: 4
Loon: 2
Hunter: 1
Belleayre: 1
Reply | Threaded
|

gkny
it'll be ready just in time for the usual peak/holiday-period wind-hold.
Reply | Threaded
|

SummerSkier
I haven't skied Whiteface before and if the gondola is out for the next couple of weeks, I have a couple of questions:

1) From what I read the gondola was the MAIN way to get up the hill (at least in relative comfort). Will it now be a nightmare waiting for the ONLY hi-speed quad? I was already queasy about all the fixed lifts Whiteface uses (they do know it's 2015 right???) and can only imagine that this breakdown will have a major impact to the rest of the lift system

2) Is this enough of an issue that's it's worth rescheduling my week of skiing (was going Sunday to Thursday)? I was really looking forward to visiting Whiteface but not if I have to spend hours in-line and/or on slow lifts -- especially if the snow conditions are as marginal as all this warm weather has made them.

Thanks in advance for your input,
Jim
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
It'll suck slightly without the Gondy and it will suck slightly because of the warmup.

But I wouldn't let that deter you from going. The good thing about a Lake Placid trip is that there are a lot of other activities to do if the skiing blows.
Reply | Threaded
|

SummerSkier
Thanks Mattchuck2. If the skiing turns out to be a bust, what other things would you recommend doing? Almost seems like too many choices...
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Was there Monday and Gondi was not running. No big deal with relatively light crowds. but if it's not running during the holiday period you may want to avoid face lift, which I would think would be crowded.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by SummerSkier
SummerSkier wrote
Thanks Mattchuck2. If the skiing turns out to be a bust, what other things would you recommend doing? Almost seems like too many choices...
Yeah, really depends on what you want. Skating around the Olympic oval or Ice Climbing? Curling or Bobsledding? Winery Tasting or Museum? Stroll around town shopping or winter camping trip into Avalanche pass? Without knowing you, it's kinda hard to suggest what you'd like.
Reply | Threaded
|

skisheep
Back online as of this morning!
ORDA and New England Passholder. If it's fast, it's probably fun.
2014-2015 season days
Whiteface: 2
Sunday River: 4
Loon: 2
Hunter: 1
Belleayre: 1
Reply | Threaded
|

SummerSkier
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
So many choices, so little time:-)

Anyways, it looks like the fixed the Gondi so problem solved. I will be skiing up a storm and hopefully find time to fit a few of the other activities in...

Thanks again!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Bobsled ride would be cool. They used to have a packaged deal. A ride on the bobsled, ice skating in town and a trip up the ski jump tower.

Ice skating on Mirror Lake is really cool. They plow off areas and a path. I'm not sure if it's frozen enough at this time.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Gondi opened mid day today!  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time