classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Whiteface Jan. 8 & 9 2011

Highpeaksdrifter
This post was updated on .
On Sat. the mountain was skiing very well. Those who signed up for the First Tracks program where treated to 2 runs with several inches of fresh lite before the lifts officially opened. If you get to the mountain early and have never tried first tracks you really should give it a go.

The snow tribe was pounding Upper Skyward top to bottom. It wasn’t groomed (which was nice) and in the early morning it had a 3 inch slab crust on top (which was tuff). It was no country for old men early on, but I skied it anyway and it kicked my ass (which I needed). I didn’t get a chance to get back up later, but I heard everything skied in nice and it was a blast. I didn’t take any pictures cause with all the snow blowing I didn’t think it would come out well, but here is  a shot of Niagara and a pic of bumps, skiers left on Victoria. I’m really glad they leave that part of the trail bumped and groom the rest.

I didn’t ski Friday, but everyone was raving on how great conditions where on the Wilmington trail. It got groomed Friday night and still skied very well on Sat. Here is a pick of the lean-too just above the start of Look Out Below. I think it’s really cool that it’s there and I’ve heard there is more to come on different trails in the future.

The mini skier cross course opened on Wolf which is real popular with kids, but fun for all ages.

On Sunday we had some wind issues which caused several lift holds throughout the day. However, all was not lost; there was treasure to be found.  The snow tribe is blowing like crazy on Wilderness to get ready for the Nature Valley Freestyle Cup Jan. 21 – 23 and the skiing there was fantastic and assessable even with the wind holds. All you had to do was get up I lift and then you could lap Wilderness off the Mountain Run trail. My pics don't do it justice and I was having too much fun to stop and take any more further down the trail, which was even better. So much snow, nice soft bumps, and the sun even came out…great fun.

There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Jan. 8 & 9

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
It was no country for old men early on, but I skied it anyway and it kicked my ass (which I needed)....
Who's OLD? (Don't say "I am" - I've got years on ya!)  

Highpeaksdrifter wrote
That must be Wilderness from the top? I haven't skied the upper half.

After my day with HPD as Mountain Host, Wilderness is one of my favorites.

Looks ROCKIN.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
you think the conditions will hold through MLK weekend?? i'm going up tuesday and wednesday next week..
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
jimvdak wrote
you think the conditions will hold through MLK weekend?? i'm going up tuesday and wednesday next week..
They are reporting a foot from this storm. Conditions will be great.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen