Whiteface Mid Station

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Whiteface Mid Station

Chris
Glad a new station is on its way... 14 MILLION?!  wtf.  Luckily banking is all computerized because I'm not sure the Fed could keep up with how fast this guy spends our money.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Mid Station

Z
I had to go back to the news article to look up the size of the proposed design.  $14M is $1400 per square foot.  That is about double the extremely high per square foot range that it costs to build a restaurant including land costs.  

https://pos.toasttab.com/blog/how-much-does-it-cost-to-open-a-restaurant

While I am all for creating a great space for us at mid this does now seem extremely excessive.  It also makes me think they are planning a sit down restaurant where you have to be seated by a hostess like in the Cloudspin restaurant that replaced our formerly beloved bar.   Given how that turned out it might be best if this proposal went thru a public presentation meeting and comment process or we could well end up with something we don’t really want at mid.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Chris
That's a pretty insane amount of money to spend on a 10,000 sq foot anything
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Seems like a big number, sure, and maybe they don’t have to spend that much....but I’m not sure that calculator makes for a valid comparison.  Assuming it’s accurate at up to $800 per sq. ft., I’d imagine that is for typical construction.  Would seem that constructing something of that size at mid mountain would carry some extra cost, in terms of getting materials and such to the site, no?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I would think reworking where it is going to be located and septic system is going to cost a boat load.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Ahhhh, good point. No way cold they use existing well/septic as I'm sure they aren't up to today's specs.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
It also makes me think they are planning a sit down restaurant where you have to be seated by a hostess like in the Cloudspin restaurant
If they staff a host, it won't be for more than 15 days a year.

Z wrote
Given how that turned out it might be best if this proposal went thru a public presentation meeting and comment process or we could well end up with something we don’t really want at mid.
Good luck with that.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Don't you think ORDA had insurance on that building?  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I would certainly think so.

Being state owned and run, who knows. I guess nothing would surprise me.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
I would think reworking where it is going to be located and septic system is going to cost a boat load.
tjf1967 wrote
Don't you think ORDA had insurance on that building?
Good to have tjf here to make these good points so I don't have to make them in a more sarcastic and annoyed way.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
If there was insurance on the building then why are the tax payers kicking in 14 million
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
It could be Mario is getting the.money from the insurance company but is making it sound like he is coming up with the money. Makes him look good.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Adirondack Daily Enterprise wrote
Insurance will pay for a portion of the construction, but how much of the $14 million being allocated by the state for the rebuild will come from insurance is still being worked out, according to Rich Azzopardi, a spokesman for Cuomo.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
In reply to this post by tjf1967
ORDA board meeting discussing insurance coverage.
See starting at 23:50.
I believe they discuss why the rate went up 50K due to fires causing ski area damage out west.

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
So it’s insured and for replacement value - good news.   Still trying to figure out the $14m price tag that the Gov floated out there.  The Gov is exceptionally good at spending other people’s money and maybe even more so when it’s insurance money.

I am surprised that a commercial building without fire sprinklers could even be insured though.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
If you're curious about structure conditions you can see a "recent" facility assessment report from 2013.
Chapter 2 pages 26-32 assessed Whiteface mid station facility conditions.
http://www.orda.org/corporate/pdf/notes/2013_ORDA_Property_Assessment_Report.pdf
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
Can't help but wonder how the NYS ski industry might flourish if the state sold off it's (our) properties and let the market decide how/where to invest.