Whiteface Opening Weekend Nov. 26-28

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Whiteface Opening Weekend Nov. 26-28

Highpeaksdrifter
Friday Day 1 – When I arrived at the mountain about 7:45 it was very windy and I was worried the gondi might go on wind hold. I was told that we might have to download because Lower Valley might not be ready. At 8:30, I found out I didn’t have to worry about either, no wind hold and top-to-bottom skiing.

Skiing on Excelsior was pretty firm. Once you got to Summit Express it started to soften, more so on Upper Valley and by the time you got to lower Valley it was soft and a little sticky. Temps stayed in the lower 30’s most of the day so there wasn’t snow making going on. At 2:00 it turned colder on top  and they started making snow on Essex.

Saturday Day 2 – It was still windy, but not as much as Friday. It had snowed a couple of inches over night and still snowing at a moderate pace as we headed up the gondi at 8:30. With the new snow we were hoping for better conditions on Excelsior and we got it and then some. On turns 1 and 2 the wind had blown the snow in spots so we could get 6 inch powder shots.

Excelsior skied nice all the way down. Upper and Lower Valley where groomed with natural and man a made on top. We all agreed that conditions had improved greatly from Friday. It stopped snowing mid morning and the sun came out now and then. At 12:30 it got really dark and a squall blew in and dropped a couple of inches in about 45 minutes which was an added bonus. The Mixing Bowl and Fox opened today which was nice for green only skiers.

Sunday Day 3 – It was more of the same good conditions similar to Saturday. Essex looked good and I saw ski patrol go down to check it out. Lower Northway was getting heavy snowmaking, but it wasn’t ready yet and since traffic flows from Essex into it, we didn’t have any additional trail openings.  Park fans where happy to see the guns blasting on Broadway. Hopefully the park can open soon.

It was a great opening weekend. Those who showed were giving off great vibe and joy to be back at Whiteface. The snow tribe did a fantastic job laying down the goods.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Opening Weekend Nov. 26-28

Jamesdeluxe
That doesn't look bad at all.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
HPD... how much total snow fell over the weekend?  That lake effect band that passed over Gore, dropping maybe three or four inches, seem to be stuck over Whiteface for a longer period.

James is right... looking good.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
The website says 6 inches. I noticed the YTD is also 6 inches. I remember reading in a thread some where that some ski areas count snow that falls before they open for skiing in their annual total. WF didn't count any before this weekends opening. Just sayin.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
Sunday Day 3 – It was more of the same good conditions similar to Saturday. Essex looked good and I saw ski patrol go down to check it out. Lower Northway was getting heavy snowmaking, but it wasn’t ready yet and since traffic flows from Essex into it, we didn’t have any additional trail openings.
I've found out that Essex did open in the afternoon. I didn't ski after 12:00 and didn't hear about it from anyone.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Anyone hear on the issue with the WF Gondi not running Sunday morning?  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
The website says 6 inches. I noticed the YTD is also 6 inches. I remember reading in a thread some where that some ski areas count snow that falls before they open for skiing in their annual total. WF didn't count any before this weekends opening. Just sayin.
I saw that on the WF site.  I was looking at the Lower Northway pic, thinking that maybe it was more, based on what was in between trails. I guess that could be snowmaking blowby.

As far as counting preseason snow.... I know a guy who does that!

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Preseason snowfall should be counted if most of it is not melted by the opening day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by Hoser
Hoser wrote
Anyone hear on the issue with the WF Gondi not running Sunday morning?  
I heard someone say it was an electrical problem.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which