snoloco wrote
I get spoiled by Mountain Creek
...said no one ever.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Summit lift motor is kaput

Footer
If that lift was faster you would not get surprised by the Bears.  Lets face it, the bears are one of the better parts of the lift ride.  That and looking into the slides to see if anyone is tumbling.  

Personally, I hate 6 pack lifts.  Puts way to many people at the summit at the same time.  Those things should be avoided at all costs...

Hopefully they get the motor repaired/replaced before the snow flys.  One would think this is now the top ORDA priority.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Footer wrote
... this is now the top ORDA priority.
True.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Footer
Footer wrote
Personally, I hate 6 pack lifts.  Puts way to many people at the summit at the same time.  Those things should be avoided at all costs...
6 packs can deliver less then a quad. It just depends how they set them up. Hunter's front side 6 only delivers 200 more people per hour (2600) than the quad it replaced.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I was told the Hunter Six was delivering the same number of skiers as the old quad.  Maybe that was figurative as in, "it's so close that it's hardly changed."

The thing I don' like about sixes is the loading and unloading. It feels awkward to me. And that around the corner stuff is kind of odd too.  It does fly you up the hill, if you like that kind of thing.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
A 6 pack is only faster in terms of skiers delivered if you can get a full chair loaded every time.  A big ask IMO
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
Does anyone know what is going on with the Summit Quad motor?   Is it being worked on, replaced?   Hoping it will be spinning in December.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
It will be running.  They have a crew down at gore as I type pulling one of there engines.  I love it when the mountains work together.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Grillman
The motor is being rebuilt. The work should be done in another few weeks, and reinstalled sometime after that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
It will be running.  They have a crew down at gore as I type pulling one of there engines.  I love it when the mountains work together.
?? Motor from a Gore lift will be transported to Whiteface?  Rather than ordering a fresh motor?
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Peter Minde wrote
tjf1967 wrote
?? Motor from a Gore lift will be transported to Whiteface?  Rather than ordering a fresh motor?
You x-country guys are so earnest. I think he is just funning the board and just continuing the ongoing WF v Gore discussion. Everybody knows there is not enough horsepower at any Gore lift to handle the steepness of the famed Summit Quad.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Is the motor or are they pulling the whole Gondola? I'm getting mixed news here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
ml242 wrote
Is the motor or are they pulling the whole Gondola? I'm getting mixed news here.
Actually the plan is to move the entire mountain to Whiteface.  It'll be renamed "The Parking Lot".
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
C'mon that was funny.  Where's the love?
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Come on, how can the parking lot have more skiable glades than the rest of the mountain.

Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
ml242 wrote
Actually the plan is to move the entire mountain to Whiteface.  It'll be renamed "The Parking Lot".
I heard they're going to move the main mountain into Lake Placid to replace the Herb Brooks Arena?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

the parking lot hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahha

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Noah John wrote
ml242 wrote
Excellent take-off on what I consider to be WF's best ad ever.  A large copy of that ad has hung on the ceiling of The Cottage for years.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I have seen elsewhere on the site that they haven't ordered the new motor yet.  Don't worry about it.  The reason for this is that they are probably trying to rebuild the motor.  As some of you know I really like roller coasters.  El Toro at Six Flags Great Adventure had a similar issue with the lift hill motor in mid August.  They sent the motor to Maryland to be rebuilt and they were able to fix it.  After being closed for 4 weeks they were able to open it for Labor Day Weekend.  I rode it a week later on 9/8/13.  Had they not been able to fix it, that ride would've been done for the season.  Because of this I am guessing that it takes about 3 months to get a new motor, since they couldn't get it by closing day (10/27/13).  If they can't rebuild it and they need the new motor,the lift should be ready by late-December or early-January.  If they can rebuild it the lift should be ready whenever the snow allows.  This is only my educated guess, I have no word form management.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

Motor one issue...drive system the other. No telling how the drive system fared after the strike,  or will fare moving forward. Worked on industrial drive systems back in the day and know a fair amount about them. Protection-wise, I have no idea how this system was designed or set-up. Let's hope for the best as the repair moves forward.
"Feets fail me not"