Whiteface Summit lift motor is kaput

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
61 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Summit lift motor is kaput

Grillman
Whiteface has posted several pictures of the summit quad getting painted lately. Maybe the motor and transmission if applicable were repaired as well. I saw that recently the Forum posted the annual article with the flat place down state (Gore) and I am hoping that we get an update from WF shortly on this great Blog and Forum.

As for now, i am hoping for the temps to start to decline by 7 degrees a week, and the moisture and snow to move in early November.  so, that this year, we have something other than the S turns to start our season.

Think Snow...and working motors
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Grillman... showin the blog some love, but harshin on one of my home mountains!  

Seriously I have pushed Aaron on the motor to the point where he wants to stuff me in a closet.  From our conversations it seems to me that he views this as business as usual and doesn't seem worried about it.

Here was our piece in August, the motor wasn't addressed:

http://nyskiblog.com/whiteface-mountain-summer-update-2013/
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Harv, that's because it is business as usual. Motors are taken out of lifts and sent in for repair/rebuild all the time at all ski areas. Seems like there is too much drama in this thread. Does anyone really think Lift F won't be running this season?
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
 Seems like there is too much drama in this thread. Does anyone really think Lift F won't be running this season?
Yes, way too much drama.  No, I do not think F will not be running this season.  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
These forums would dry up and die if they didn't manufacture things to get excited about.  That's not a dig at this place in particular but ski forums in general.  Even the most die-hard cubicle warrior gets tired of discussing boot fit, ski width and how to ski all year for $23 or less.

I heard there were service people spotted going in and out of the pump house last week.  OMG!!!  Do you think there will be snowmaking this year?!?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Noah John wrote

I heard there were service people spotted going in and out of the pump house last week.  OMG!!!  Do you think there will be snowmaking this year?!?

Nope. No snowmaking, that was all part of the government shutdown.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
This thread seems pretty calm and civilized considering it's mostly the Whiteface regulars posting.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
It's when the Whiteface and Gore peeps mix it up that things get heated.  We have not had a battle royale in months.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
Well, I am hoping that the motor works....and the "flat term" was just relative to WF and not meant to disrespect Gore.  It was meant, to get more chatter and it did not work.  

I am really looking forward to the end of November.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Grillman did not take it the wrong way. Gore peeps are used to it, and know that we are bit odd in our love for our weird mountain. Hey Face is weird too but in a completely opposite way. To me at least the most normal mtns are a bit dull.

On the topic of the motor, I just reread the whole thread and I just don't see the drama in this thread. (PM is a different story).

It's obviously a crucial lift and there hasn't really been much official info put out on it. People are curious.  Plus I agree with Noah, what else you gunna talk about in a ski forum in August?
Reply | Threaded
|

I_BUILD_PARKS
Imagine if that had gone down at the start of the first holiday week instead of summer. That could have been a disaster. I haven't been up there in a few years, hoping to get a chance this season at some point.

Also roller coaster to ski lift is apple to orange.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
It's when the Whiteface and Gore peeps mix it up that things get heated.  We have not had a battle royale in months.
You should have been at the BETA Poker (Pika?) Run. All out brawl.

but really just lots of this  and this

Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
 Plus I agree with Noah, what else you gunna talk about in a ski forum in August?
That's not really what I said.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I heard from a reliable source that the motor is in process of being rewound by a firm in the Albany area.  They wanted to go to a AC drive so that Lift 6 could run in reverse in case of a problem but that added another $20 grand to the price tag so they didn't do that.  Rebuilding it saved over $30k compared to buying a new one.

Also heard that Lift i (Freeway) was also being rebuildt as standard preventive Mait.  That lift was having issues last year at times so that is good news.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The Whiteface summit chair is back in action.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
Harvey wrote
The Whiteface summit chair is back in action.
 And in other news, the sun rose in the east this morning......
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
Noah John wrote
 And in other news, the sun rose in the east this morning......
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Noah John
Are you suggesting that those Whiteface skiers — both locals and flatlanders — who doubted the outcome should come forward with a heartfelt mea culpa?

That could provide some entertainment value.
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
It will run fine until the first crowded day....then there will be a failure, the boys will climb the ladder....It will be banged with a hammer....and spin slowly again.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Harvey wrote
Are you suggesting that those Whiteface skiers — both locals and flatlanders — who doubted the outcome should come forward with a heartfelt mea culpa?

That could provide some entertainment value.
I'd prefer they publicly acknowledge their heightened state of drama queeniness...  
I ride with Crazy Horse!