Whiteface & gore lodging

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Whiteface & gore lodging

gorgonzola
Sorry if this has been covered a hundred times but didn't see anything with a quick search...Thinking about a whiteface and gore tour with the wifey in the next few weeks and looking for reasonable decent lodging suggestions... don't need fancy just clean and comfy. My trips in the past have crashed at my cousins or dippikill bunkhouse, awesome options for me and my son but doesn't work for mrs s due to allergy and facilities requirements, thanks in advance
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface & gore lodging

DrSkimeister
Many times I've done Whiteface/Gore weekends and use the Super 8 at the Warrensburg exit off the Northway as home base. I drive up Friday night, do the hour-forty five each way to The Face on Saturday, then the 25 minutes to Gore on Sunday before heading home.
It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
The Courtyard in Placid is clean and nice. Only drawback is that it isn't walk to town. That's as low on the Placid lodging food chain as my wife will go. Tried Northwoods Inn once. I was solo and the rate was good. Won't do that again.
Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
When I've had my kids in tow, I've also stayed at a Best Western at the Lake George exit. The indoor pool/hot tub serves as evening entertainment,
It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Something tells me that Tmax&Topos or Eds Beds would be right out
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
In reply to this post by Skidds
The Courtyard in LP is very nice, and has a nice pool. We love the Crowne Plaza, especially the adirondack wing, but it can get pricey.
Reply | Threaded
|

skisheep
I've stayed at the Wildwood in Lake Placid(http://www.wildwoodmotel.com/) several times, nothing fancy, but very clean and very nice people. Has a heated indoor pool, hot tub, and sauna, which is nice to relax with after skiing, but it's a motel, not a full service hotel, so if you're looking for something a little more upscale, the Crowne Plaza would probably be my recommendation. Courtyard is nice, but usually not much cheaper than the CP or it's actually more expensive, and it isn't on Main. I' stayed at Northwoods once and it was fine, but that was several years ago, so not sure if it's gone downhill since then.

Whiteface Lodge is spectacular if you're looking for something to splurge on, but it's astronomically expensive(anywhere from three to six hundred dollars a night for the cheapest room, and it only goes up from there). Worth it if you have the cash, but if you're going to spend the cash, I wouldn't do it for a ski trip when you're going to be pretty tired at the end of the day.
ORDA and New England Passholder. If it's fast, it's probably fun.
2014-2015 season days
Whiteface: 2
Sunday River: 4
Loon: 2
Hunter: 1
Belleayre: 1
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
In Wilmington:

Ledge Rock Motel is right across the parking lot from Whiteface

Wilderness Inn is in the center of town.

Both are clean and reasonable (less than LP)

I always wanted to stay at the Black Moutain Tavern and Inn near Gore.  Ate there many times but never stayed.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
We just stayed at the new Hampton Inn in LP. It is really nice (a big step up from a normal HI). Its next to the LP pub and brewery and walkable to town. It has a pool, free breakfast and a nice outdoor fire pit with a view of the lake. You can BYOB down to the gorgeous common area and make your own happy hour. We got a rate under 150 a night for two queens during president's week.

Black Mountain is a great place to stay near gore. The rooms are clean and the rates are good. You can have dinner and drinks in the restaurant and stumble to your room. The new owner is a good guy and is making improvements to the motel and the restaurant.

The other options if you want to be in town are the copperfield, the alpine, and the "dew drop" (call Broderick real estate).  You can also do the goose pond inn or the new place - heads in beds (hostel style but cheap).