Who Buys Who Next?

31 messages Options
Harvey Harvey
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Who Buys Who Next?

No polls. Just your opinion.

What's the next deal to go down?

Eventually we'll all know, we can see who was right!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Re: Who Buys Who Next?

Somebody buys Jay. Somebody else buys Burke.

Also, I predict Alterra will buy Sugarbush
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

BOLD.  Who's buying?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

I'm surprised that either Vail or Aspen hasn't scooped up Telluride.

But I think the Jay thing will happen first. If Powdr was smart, they'd buy it & Sugarbush, take their mountains off Ikon, partner with a couple Indies, and sell some type of VT SuperPass.

But Vail will probably buy Jay because it's Vail and why not?
Z Z
Reply |

I’m surprised The Jay sale hasn’t happened yet.  It definitely is the next piece.  Might be they are trying to package with Burke which no body wants.  I think that jay is bought by Alterra.  Vail took on Debt for the big buy earlier this yr and probably tapped out leaving it to Alterra.  Having both Jay and Mt Tremblant gives them a dominate position in the Montreal market

Vails next buy in the East is Smuggs probably in a yr or two

The Canadian ski market will also get in the action with RCR either buying to get bigger or being bought

Burke might end up being taken private as a non profit as part of the ski academy with the academy moving into the Hotel
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
trackbiker trackbiker
Reply |

Z wrote
I’m surprised The Jay sale hasn’t happened yet.  It definitely is the next piece.  Might be they are trying to package with Burke which no body wants.  
The Receiver has already announced that while Jay is for sale Burke is not for sale. Burke hasn't created the number of new jobs required for the investors to get their EB-5  Visas yet.
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

I don’t know if it’s next but Vail has got to be eying smuggs for the connecting piece creating the biggest skiing in the north east.
bumps bumps
Reply |

raisingarizona wrote
I don’t know if it’s next but Vail has got to be eying smuggs for the connecting piece creating the biggest skiing in the north east.
Remind me again what is needed trail/lift-wise to connect Stowe with Smuggs?
Milo Maltbie Milo Maltbie
Reply |

bumps wrote
Remind me again what is needed trail/lift-wise to connect Stowe with Smuggs?
All you need is an easement over the top of Spruce Peak, which they had in the past, and may still have.  IIRC the skate across the top is about the same or easier than Twister to BRQ by Cedars. We did it all the time back in the 60's, but millennials will want an Alta style 2 way T-bar or maybe a continuous gondola like the one at Spruce base.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Milo Maltbie Milo Maltbie
Reply |

I don't think either Jay or Smuggs are top shelf targets for VR or Alterra. I haven't been to either a while, but my impression was the neither of them drew very big crowds. Am I wrong about that?

I think the last remaining buy out opportunities in the East are Bromley/Jiminy and Windham, because they have the largest concentration of high income Connecticut/NJ/NYC skiers. I don't think Powdr or Boyne will pull out of IKon or that VR will go after Sugarbush or other Ikon partners, but if those things happen, all bets are off.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi