Who is playing hooky Thursday?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Who is playing hooky Thursday?

Saratogahalfday
I am, and once again going off the max pass and hitting Magic.  They will get over 20 inches.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Who is playing hooky Thursday?

sig
i am going back and forth between platty and magic. local weather guy in albany is calling for 18-26 at magic.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Saratogahalfday
Magic is definitely on my short list for Thursday. Better base right now than NoVT, LOL. Though if Cannon gets walloped, a twofer at my favorite mountain is hard to pass up. NoVT seems to be poised for backside action, that will likely be the plan for Friday/Saturday. We might be heading into the best four days in a row of skiing all year...

I rode the Red chair last Saturday with a guy from Saratoga bemoaning the lost Max Pass, wonder if that was you?
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
It certainly could have been, although there was another guy from here on the max pass too I believe.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Eastern Champs start Thursday in theory though if Stowe gets a foot there may not be racing
Should be fun
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Saratogahalfday
Unfortunately no hooky for me, Thursday is the night my wife needs me.

Plattekill had a base that is deep enough in the woods. I don't see how you could go wrong there. Terrain aside I guess the question is is 40+(12-18) > than 12+(18-24) or whatever Magic will get.

Be interesting to know how often people step out on there mega-passes.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Icecoastchef
Another disgruntled Max Passer here: Planning to hit Magic with a few buddies. I’ll be near the front of the line in the morning wearing a neon-green Spyder jacket and a helmet littered with stickers. Come say hello if you’re there!

-Adam
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Unfortunately no hooky for me, Thursday is the night my wife needs me.

Plattekill had a base that is deep enough in the woods. I don't see how you could go wrong there. Terrain aside I guess the question is is 40+(12-18) > than 12+(18-24) or whatever Magic will get.

Be interesting to know how often people step out on there mega-passes.
Platty website is teasing out a Powder Daize opening before Friday.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Friends dont let friends wear day glow....
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
Platty website is teasing out a Powder Daize opening before Friday.
This is practically a done deal. I can't imagine they won't spin tomorrow.  I recommend any who can get there safely to go for it.
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
This post was updated on .
I'm not as optimistic. Hudson Valley Weather says storm is tracking east and has downgraded everything to the west. Also not seeing many flakes on Catskills' webcams (coming down here pretty hard here in Woodstock though).

Edit: NWS is still very bullish on 12"+. Feeling cautiously hopeful again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
For all you max passers out there why not Pico?

I'm not on the max pass but might head south (not as likely) or east. Was thinking pico but maybe I'll put magic on the list.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Danzilla wrote

I'm not on the max pass but might head south (not as likely) or east. Was thinking pico but maybe I'll put magic on the list.
Why not Killington, really? Plenty of coverage, dominating lift system, trees, steeps, mellow trails, good base, good bars...

South would be good, too. Belleayre or Platty would be fine choices. I think Magic will be surprisingly crowded (I've heard from lots of people who have been waiting years to ski it, and think now is the time). Stratton is on the Max Pass and has good upper mountain trails.

Gore, Windham, Wachusset are all on the MAX pass too.

Really, it's tough to go wrong. Probably best to pick a mountain that you know well & have some go-to spots that you know will have pow. Now might not be the time for exploration. Plenty of time for that this weekend and later in March.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Danzilla wrote

Why not Killington, really? Plenty of coverage, dominating lift system, trees, steeps, mellow trails, good base, good bars...

South would be good, too. Belleayre or Platty would be fine choices. I think Magic will be surprisingly crowded (I've heard from lots of people who have been waiting years to ski it, and think now is the time). Stratton is on the Max Pass and has good upper mountain trails.

Gore, Windham, Wachusset are all on the MAX pass too.

Really, it's tough to go wrong. Probably best to pick a mountain that you know well & have some go-to spots that you know will have pow. Now might not be the time for exploration. Plenty of time for that this weekend and later in March.
For me pico vs. kton comes down to cost, crowds and closer. I can get a pico pass for $47. I don't know either place as well as I'd like but pico is smaller and more manageable (less choices means less traversing) and is hardly ever crowded. It looks like its going to snow most of the day tomorrow too which is why I'd go east vs. south. I'm locked into Gore for the next two weekends until NYSEF is done then I may spring for the 199 kton pass.

Too bad you can't buy ikon now and use it this spring. I'd buy one today.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bandit
In reply to this post by moguljunkie
It looks like the Catskills are getting a bit skunked with this storm. I left Belleayre at 4:30 and they had about 4" of fresh from the storm on top of the 2-3" this morning. I live east of there and it hasn't been snowing here for awhile now and radar shows it's done at Belleayre.

That said, the skiing was great today.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Bandit wrote
It looks like the Catskills are getting a bit skunked with this storm. I left Belleayre at 4:30 and they had about 4" of fresh from the storm on top of the 2-3" this morning.
Interesting to see what Riley did to our standards.  I think we'll take it.

Anybody dropping cars down in Pine Hill?
Reply | Threaded
|

Bandit
True, especially when it was 60+ and looking very dismal 2 weeks ago!

Just didn’t get the 18-24” they were talking about.

Some of my friends skied down to pine hill Monday or Tuesday. Said it got very heavy when they got down there. This new snow on top should help.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Magic is reporting 25-27 for the 24.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Yeh SoVT got slammed on this one when it trended east...
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Late start, but as they say.....better that than never.  At Platty.  Grey-Orange Karbon jacket pants, with my son in all grey.  Give a shout if you are here and see us!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!