classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Who likes a cold spring?

Harvey
Administrator
It's the end of March. The ski mountains have a good base and all their terrain is open. It's cold, the skiing is decent and we aren't losing (much) snow each day.  But if temps were warmer the skiing would be off the charts everywhere, not just at the upslope favorites.

Are you wishing for warmer temps?

For me, the cold snap was great this past week. I was able give the family a break from driving this weekend and not feel like I was standing idle while spring was "happening."

(I wonder what the average* mountain GM wants? Does he want his best spring conditions postponed?)

What do you say? Bring it on? 50 degrees and piles of corn now?

Or stretch it out as long as possible, maybe get another dump?

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Who likes a cold spring?

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
i have to admit I have had enough...in my opinion skiing is the best when it's bluebird and 50 out..
but that ain't gonna happen, unseasonably cold for the foreseeable future.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
I guess I've had enough. The 2 or so ft of snow in my yard is as hard as concrete with several inches of true ice at the bottom. It's like a glacier and seems like it will never melt.

I know I'll miss skiing when it ends but I've already shifted gears to bike riding and running. We can't wait to ride our quads.....think I'll ski lots this week!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
In reply to this post by Harvey
Stretch it out!  Bring on another dump and give me another month of skiing!!!  I'm in no rush for the mud and the bugs.  Summer hiking and pool time with the kids will be nice once it gets here but I'm in no hurry.  But then again I'm weird.....I've already been thinking about next Thanksgiving!
Reply | Threaded
|

RosieSki
As much as I hate to admit it, I'm ready for 50s and corn snow.  Everything groomed, hard, and fast are not my conditions of choice, I want nice soft bumps to play on.  I'm also more than ready to get back outside on my horse for trail riding, so the snow needs to go away (there's still a foot of snow at the barn...)

Now if I could find a place where it was 60 at all my trail riding locations and 25 and powder/packed powder in the mountains for skiing, then it would be another story.  ;)
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
Oh I'd love to see it stretched out, but reality, regardless of how much snow there is it ain't happening. So that said, I want my spring skiing! Was at Killington this past weekend, doubt it ever got over 25. Plenty of snow all over, 95% open, skied real nice, yet, I missed last weeks spring conditions. They were real sweet.
Reply | Threaded
|

SnowflakeADK
I would also love to see it stretched out.  I heart winter.  I spend the summer months cursing the heat, humidity and bugs, dreaming of a cold snowy November (October)....reliving epic ski days in my thoughts.  However, if it's going to be shut down regardless of how much snow remains, then bring on the Spring Skigasms!  Blue skies, mild temps, soft snow, and brews on the deck.....MmMmMm GoOooOod!  :o)  Of course another dump would be entirely acceptable too.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
This post was updated on .
We love spring skiing the best, Our home mountain closed already with the most base left in years because no one came out the last two wkends. Last season with the huge late Feb storm and a warm March made for a spring season we won't ever forget. Those conditions help you transition into other spring sports. However we will take whatever mother nature sends our way.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
I love spring skiing too, but the cold weather will stretch the season so I'm all for it. If WF could make it till Easter I would be thrilled and I do think its possible.

Once the ski season is over then its hiking, kyacking and biking. Always great things to do in the ADKs. I want to get back into Mt. Biking too, hope I can fit buying one into the budget.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm all for a cold spring, in fact that's the only reason I'm still skiing. As soon as it hits 50 I'll be on the golf course. I'm in the minority here but I can't stand spring skiing.....mid winter conditions are more my thing.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
The bummer is that many areas will be closing before we have spring skiing. If this cold kept areas open then I would be all for it. But as Gunny mentioned, ski areas will close when they normally do. I  happen to enjoy March and April for the warm temps, lack of crowds, soft bumps and great light even at the end of the day.
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
Since we had to close up the house and end our season this weekend, I'm hoping for a long cold spell - our only chance to make it back up to Gore is Easter. That may be overly wishful thinking though. Here on Long Island, spring sports for the kids started weeks ago, so we have to start actually showing up for some of these games eventually.

This weekend was great (so great that we extended it into Monday since the kids have spring break), but I would have enjoyed it more if the snow were a little softer.  
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Spring skiing is definitely what I look forward to. Powder is nice, obviously that's number one but the nice corn is much more consistent, no throwing darts of when I can home home.

Unfortunately last weekend was my last time coming home. Now it's all getting ready for finals.
I may be heading to Gore to hike the Darkside if there is any snow left. If not, I'll probably be headed towards Mt Washington.
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
Bright side, even if resorts close, this may be good for Tux/Mt. Washington.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I am sure hoping for a powder day on Saturday...but I would take a 50  degree day with big mushy bumps on Rumor too.  I was absolutely amazed at how much snow was in the woods Sunday.  Barkeater top to bottom with no bare spots...same with Twister and Tahawus...and they are all lower mountain...I don't want it to end...

Summer Sucks!

Hey Funky, what about a Harvey Road Day on Tuckerman's...Duck T.R. you out there?  Maybe if enough of us go down Left Gully or wherever the snow is good that day, we can call it Harvey Road.
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
sudsnbumps wrote
I am sure hoping for a powder day on Saturday...but I would take a 50  degree day with big mushy bumps on Rumor too.  I was absolutely amazed at how much snow was in the woods Sunday.  Barkeater top to bottom with no bare spots...same with Twister and Tahawus...and they are all lower mountain...I don't want it to end...

Summer Sucks!

Hey Funky, what about a Harvey Road Day on Tuckerman's...Duck T.R. you out there?  Maybe if enough of us go down Left Gully or wherever the snow is good that day, we can call it Harvey Road.
Harvey, get it together, I'm in!
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
After May 14th, please
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
sudsnbumps wrote
Hey Funky, what about a Harvey Road Day on Tuckerman's...
In.
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
Tux, Tux, Tux!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
So we have Me, Steve, Matt, and Funky. Who else is in?