16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Who's Skied Plattekill?

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I had a chance to meet Laszlo and Danielle tonight ... the couple that owns and runs Plattekill. These are two people that love skiing, love the Catskills, love their mountain.

I've only been to the hill once, an it was a GREAT time:

http://www.nyskiblog.com/2010/02/plattekill-ny-22710.html

I'm wondering who has skied Platte and what impressions are of the hill.

Ski Plattekill

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Who's Skied Plattekill?

skimore
+1 Heres some footage from a few years ago.......sorry was kinda limited on filiming subjects
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
When I lived in Northern Jersey I used to ski there every weekend.  When I had a non-holiday pass to gore several years ago I went back to ski during presidents week...not much had changed...Damn nice ski area that I would prefer to ski over Huntah, Windham and Belleaire(sp?)  Highmount was the other place I used to go to often(RIP) and once in a while Bobcat (also RIP) but Platte was the place for me.  Absolutely the best snow and terrain in the Catskills.  Powder Daize  Having the red clay caked on your car was really cool too
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Nice! video skimore.

sudsnbumps wrote
When I lived in Northern Jersey I used to ski there every weekend.  When I had a non-holiday pass to gore several years ago I went back to ski during presidents week...not much had changed...Damn nice ski area that I would prefer to ski over Huntah, Windham and Belleaire(sp?)  Highmount was the other place I used to go to often(RIP) and once in a while Bobcat (also RIP) but Platte was the place for me.  Absolutely the best snow and terrain in the Catskills.  Powder Daize  Having the red clay caked on your car was really cool too
suds ... you might have a LOT in common with Jamesdeluxe.  I know he's a huge fan of Highmount, and Bobcat is near and dear to his heart.

Anyone have plans to hit Platte's opening on Saturday?
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
I have skied here many times since the 1980s. It continues to be one of my favorites. However it is too early to head to Plattekill this weekend. The 2 lifts/ 5 trails is just not worth the drive.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
x10003q wrote
... it is too early to head to Plattekill this weekend. The 2 lifts/ 5 trails is just not worth the drive.
Hard to argue with this thinking.

But somehow I couldn't resist.  I just wanted to see 17" of natural snow.

I got super lucky, and met up with the Sean ... "the official, unofficial Plattekill stashmeister."

One of my best ever December days.  

I'll put up a real TR tomorrow.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Harvey
When I arrive at the Belleayre access road, I'm usually tired of driving, but there are nice rewards for sticking out the additional 25 minutes behind the wheel: trails with lots of character, nice pitch, lotsa skiable trees, an old-school lodge, more natural snow than any other lift-served place in the Catskills or the ADKs (Snow RIdge is officially part of Tug Hill, right?), and zero liftlines.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I put my Plattekill TR up on the blog.

One thing about this place that is odd to me ... the pictures actually seem to reflect the steepness.

It always feels like I'm taking pics of lines that seem steep, but the photos flatten them out. Not this time...

I must say the Catskills are absolutely beautiful.

Last year on my way out this way I had that huge dump on my mind and didn't really stop to smell the roses. The early morning views on Saturday's drive were inspiring.

I've got more photos so I may post a photo essay here in the forum in the next few days if I can find the time.

And there is more Plattekill news, so stay tuned.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Was watching these kids all day from Lift 3 at Plattekill:

Looks like they posted this:

Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.
Reply | Threaded
|

CUontheslopes131
I skied Plattekill about 6 or 7 years ago, before they replaced the T-Bar. Let me tell you, that was one hell of a long surface lift and steep to boot. My recollection of Plattekill is quite positive. They have some very interesting terrain and the way the mountain sits in a little basin (not unlike Killington Peak, Snowdon and Skye Peaks at K)  means it's easy to navigate. As most people have pointed out, it's really just access that's holding the mountain back. If skier numbers went up, I'm sure the improvements to the infrastructure that would lure more skiers would follow. I give ownership a great deal of credit for putting in the second chairlift. I know a lot of people were turned off by not having the whole mountain accessible via chairlift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plattekill Today

Harvey
Administrator
CUontheslopes131 wrote
I skied Plattekill about 6 or 7 years ago, before they replaced the T-Bar. Let me tell you, that was one hell of a long surface lift and steep to boot. My recollection of Plattekill is quite positive. They have some very interesting terrain and the way the mountain sits in a little basin (not unlike Killington Peak, Snowdon and Skye Peaks at K)  means it's easy to navigate. As most people have pointed out, it's really just access that's holding the mountain back. If skier numbers went up, I'm sure the improvements to the infrastructure that would lure more skiers would follow. I give ownership a great deal of credit for putting in the second chairlift. I know a lot of people were turned off by not having the whole mountain accessible via chairlift.
CU ... which chair was a surface lift?

Your post reminds me of Matty's post about Hickory (ka2kci). I don't have a lot of experience with surface lifts, and it didn't really dawn on me that when you ride those lifts, there's no time to rest.

Got this note from Laszlo tonight:

"4 inches on top by Monday night, 1" last night and another 1" today.  Still snowing out there.  These measurements are at the top.  The base received about 1/2 of that."

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plattekill Today

x10003q
Harvey44 wrote
CU ... which chair was a surface lift?

Your post reminds me of Matty's post about Hickory (ka2kci). I don't have a lot of experience with surface lifts, and it didn't really dawn on me that when you ride those lifts, there's no time to rest.
The t-bar ran up the North Face trail on the right side facing up the trail. It is one trail over from the double. It was a serious workout doing laps on the t-bar. The double has made Plattekill a way better ski area.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
In reply to this post by Harvey
Ski Platt every year but usually not till some time in Jan for first time, not much snow making capababilities. Great place to ski on Holidays never crowded.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

telerider
I am headed to Plattekill this coming Sunday and haven't skied there in over 15 years.  I do not recall there being a lot of tree skiing back then.  Can anyone guide me to general vicinities on the mtn to find trees?  I am only going to be there for the AM and don't want to waste a lot of time looking.  That T-Bar was brutal, just like Hickory, except I think Hickory even more challenging, as it's in the woods most of the time.  Glad Laszlo invested in replacing it!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Could be a PRIME day for a Plattekill Challenge TR.

Telerider - PM me, maybe we can help.

Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by telerider
telerider wrote
I am headed to Plattekill this coming Sunday and haven't skied there in over 15 years.  I do not recall there being a lot of tree skiing back then.  Can anyone guide me to general vicinities on the mtn to find trees?  I am only going to be there for the AM and don't want to waste a lot of time looking.  That T-Bar was brutal, just like Hickory, except I think Hickory even more challenging, as it's in the woods most of the time.  Glad Laszlo invested in replacing it!
Just look around. It's plain as day when you are riding either lift