Who should be added to the Freedom Pass?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Who should be added to the Freedom Pass?

Brownski
So I bought a Plattekill season pass this year for the first time. I’m sure I will get my moneys worth just skiing at Plattekill but being part of the Freedom Pass definitely played a role in my decision- Magic and Bolton specifically.
http://freedompass.ski
Anyway, the idea seems to be to add some extra value to season passes from similar independent mountains. There’s no stand alone pass though I think there would be a market for it if they put one out. The mountains that jump out at me as belonging on the list are the Catamount/ Berkshire East combo.
Who else belongs with these guys?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Who should be added to the Freedom Pass?

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Love the freedom pass.

I would never get there but add Mt Abram.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Brownski
Powder Ridge in CT
Blue Knob in WV  EDIT: PA, not WV
Brian Head in UT
Santa Fe in NM

Powder Ridge has a plastic slope.  That's open year round.  Short run but could be fun for a day in the fall before there is snow on the slopes in the northeast.
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
marznc wrote
Powder Ridge in CT
Blue Knob in WV
Brian Head in UT
Santa Fe in NM
I think Elk in PA would be a good addition. It would get some people to try Plattekill and vise versa.
(FYI. Blue Knob is in PA)
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
trackbiker wrote
marznc wrote
Powder Ridge in CT
Blue Knob in WV
Brian Head in UT
Santa Fe in NM
I think Elk in PA would be a good addition. It would get some people to try Plattekill and vise versa.
(FYI. Blue Knob is in PA)
Oops, I know BK is in PA not WV.  Although that brings to mind that Canaan Valley in WV would be a nice addition too for folks who live in the DC/NoVA region.  I know people from there who make the drive to Elk and the Catskills once or twice a season.

Agree that Elk would be nice.  Perhaps Montage near Scranton too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
In reply to this post by Brownski
Mad River Glen - VT
Labrador - NY
Alpental - WA
Oak Mountain - NY
Mc Cauley Mountain - NY
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This is a pretty good list we got going. McCauley is a great idea. And PA and the WV, NC or Tenn mountains would probably be able to sell more season passes if they were part of Freedom Pass. I wonder what the economics are like? I see all upside.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Broski... you skied McCauley?

Somehow I don't see Mad River going onto a pass.  They aren't part of one now are they?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Saratogahalfday
Disagree about MRG, that is not a mountain that belongs on this pass. We might as well start suggesting areas like Smuggs, Burke, Cannon, Wildcat, etc. if we are going to suggest MRG. Those aren't the mountains that are targeted on this pass. Those mountains are not going to allow their season pass sales and ticket sales to be undercut. The pass is for areas that have a "raising tide floats all boats" effect. MRG on Freedom would be an anchor on vital revenue for MRG.

Middlebury would be a good add, Dartmouth is already on the pass so it matches up well.

It is shocking that Abram is not on that pass yet.

Black Mountain in Maine would be a solid add as well.

I was on the fence on the Freedom Pass this year but opted to out. A few more mid-mountain options in the region could sway me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I think you guys are right about MRG. For the reasons you pointed out and also because it’s kind of close to Bolton Valley. That might DQ Middlebury too even though it seems like it would fit in. I’ve never skied McCauley, Harv, but I might make the drive this year or some time. It’s a cool looking place.  Maybe Suicide Six? They’re smaller then a lot of these mountains but they’re well-placed geographically, kind of between Magic and Bolton. Has anybody skied there? I haven’t but I’m curious about that place too. West might be a good candidate. I really like this concept. A few more hills would be really cool.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
Powder Ridge has a plastic slope.  That's open year round.  Short run but could be fun for a day in the fall before there is snow on the slopes in the northeast.
I really wanted to try that plastic slope out this summer but I don’t think it ever opened. I was looking at the website pretty regularly for a while- even called the mountain once. The person that picked up just said, “ yeah it’s not open yet. We’re working on it.”
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Brownski wrote
marznc wrote
I really wanted to try that plastic slope out this summer but I don’t think it ever opened. I was looking at the website pretty regularly for a while- even called the mountain once. The person that picked up just said, “ yeah it’s not open yet. We’re working on it.”
Given how short the run is, and how long it takes to take the magic carpet and walk over to the top of the slope, makes more sense to me to have the plastic slope open some time in the fall but not in the summer.  I took a look on the Boston last year.  The Ski School Director happened to be there.  So watched him take a run.  Full on carving at pretty high speed.  Much faster than than Liberty Snowflex.