Why do I always fall backwards when Jumping?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Why do I always fall backwards when Jumping?

scottymac
I was hoping coach would give me some advice on this one. Being 45 I should probably stop trying to jump BUT, when I get some air it always seems as if something is pulling me backwards and I land almost on my ass. I try to lean forward but that seems awkward at time and I seem to flail. It's not pretty. Can someone give me some advice on the proper way to jump while on skis?
-Scott
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Why do I always fall backwards when Jumping?

timbly
Try a 4-point take-off, where you tap your poles at the lip of the jump just as your feet reach it, Draw your knees up to your chest for the air portion, then extend your legs down into the landing.
That's the short version, anyways. Hope it helps. Have fun. Pick small jumps on powder days for safety?

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by scottymac
What kind of jumps ? The ones that you just shoot straight off of  or the ones that launch you up ?

How long are your skis ? Do their bindings slide as the ski flexes ?

Long ass skis push back on you as you go over the " launching up " jumps. It's worse with hard mount bindings.

I used to ski a 170 with hard mount bindings, not a long ski but I had the same feeling you mentioned even when I leaned forward slightly. It sucked. When I got new skis, they were 164 and the bindings slide a tad when the ski flexes and the falling over backwards position crap went away.
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
In reply to this post by scottymac
Air Carve.

All the best.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
hands up and forward "punching" through the take off.  keep the hands steady and ahead of you.  pull your knees up and relax.  

let mo pull you off the lip.  don't try and force it.  keep the hands forward - they pull your shoulders forward and that stops you from getting pulled back.

do not bend at the waist.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Try just popping/hopping as you are going down a trail. Practice practice practice practice this until it feels natural to pop and land. You may want to "stomp" a little when you land. Once you feel comfortable doing this going down a trail try it on some small jumps/rollers. This is the same feeling you should get when you pop off a jump and land. The landing position when you hop also should put you generally into the same balanced position you should be in when skiing. If you ever feel like you are getting out of whack just hop and when you land your body should automatically put you in proper position - kinda like a cat.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
When I find myself drifting backwards off a big hit I just lay out a backflip, let it ride and stomp the landing like a monster.  But I've got mad skillz and a lot of BMX experience to fall back on.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Noah John wrote
When I find myself drifting backwards off a big hit I just lay out a backflip, let it ride and stomp the landing like a monster.  But I've got mad skillz and a lot of BMX experience to fall back on.
Or you could just try this. Just make sure your disability and life insurance are up to date.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
On snowboard once i started bringing my legs up and doing indy grabs - I started to feel more stable in the air...
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Watch the speed skiing events at the Olympics. Note where hands are when flying. Follow example.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Did you formulate that from looking at utube videos? We know you dont ski.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
When I find myself drifting backwards off a big hit

That's when it's time to head home cowboy
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
I don't ever get "some" air...I get a lot of air.  I have to roll down multiple windows before I land.