classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
82 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why do people Telemark?

MC2 5678F589
This post was updated on .
Damn.  I have the Syner-G boots, too, and they seem pretty comfortable for my flat feet.  But, I guess everyone is different. My Tele boots tend to be half a size larger than my alpine boots, too (just because I don't really need the precision as much).  I checked best boots for flat feet, and both Scarpa and Garmont show up on this list, so maybe the old Scarpa foot/Garmont foot thing isn't true anymore . . .

I guess I might try to get one of those Superfeet-type footbeds (the non-custom ones that can flex with the Tele boot) just as a last ditch effort  Sorry I can't help you more . . .
Reply | Threaded
|

spike
In reply to this post by Harvey
Most people I know that telemark, were and are excellent skiers with varied backgrounds including decades of alpine skiing.  Then they got bored.  Tele skiing opened up a new very physical form of downhill skiing both front side and back .  Tele gear got them skinning into the backcountry adding a new dimension of skiing.  Most tele skiiers I know really likr the feel of the turn and ski from fall til the flowers poke through the snow.  They dont suck
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
this is one of the best theads ever to think it's still getting play ! I just like my heels free for getting around the mountain lift lines etc.ifi happen to want to maketele turns(someones watching) throw some in or not, I feel like they are interchangeable at this point
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
I really enjoyed reading this thread.

I'm a barely what you would call an advanced skier.  I love skiing but improving my skills has been a slow process.  I've always marveled at how graceful many telemarker skiers have looked below me as I ride the chair.  BUT, as intrigued as I have been by watching them I do not have a desire to join their ranks just yet.  Why?  Because I want to master  one discipline before I more on to another.

That said, I am very intrigued by AT skiing.  I'd love to explore new territory and experience the freedom that it appears to offer.  I'm not sure how to get into it though and I don't know if my skills make me ready for this yet......
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
with advancement in AT gear i think fewer alpine skiers will venture into tele, which makes perfect sense.less cost, no need for entire multiple setups. less learning curve ,no need to learn an entirely different technique.i do think there will be skiers with nordic roots and others seeking a different challenge continuing to venture into Telemark
Reply | Threaded
|

snowmonkey
I started xc skiing about 5 years ago, and just started to learn tele last February after listening to a friend of mine rave about it for the past 5 years.  I'd never done any sort of downhill skiing prior to that and had no desire to, but tele appealed to me because of the back country exploration aspect.  PDQ took me to the Hickory telefest last February, and I was instantly hooked on it.  I bought my tele equipment the very next week, and since it was toward the end of February, I got everything at pretty much a 50% discount, so it didn't cost any more than buying alpine gear.  But, I also didn't even realize that there was such a thing as AT equipment at the time, and thought tele was the only way to get into the back country.  I think if I had to do it all over again, I might have gone with AT, as I seem to be much better at making p-turns than tele-turns     ... but I'm not giving up yet.  I figured I'd give myself at least a year to see how much I can progress with tele before making any rash decisions.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
This.......

First saw this back in '91....a fellow ski team member wore the t-shirt
everyday when we were in Vemdalen Sweden...

Prolly rotted off of his back.

T.D.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
I've got to say, It's really difficult for a an interested party to get started.  Poindexter can't seem to find any rentals in North Creek or the surrounding area to give it a try.  And there's a distinct lack of used equipment to be purchased.  How does someone get into free heelin" without breaking (or robbing) the bank??
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
lingerlonger finally surfaces
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
with advancement in AT gear i think fewer alpine skiers will venture into tele, which makes perfect sense.less cost, no need for entire multiple setups. less learning curve ,no need to learn an entirely different technique.i do think there will be skiers with nordic roots and others seeking a different challenge continuing to venture into Telemark
I gave strong consideration to learning tele when I wanted to start earning turns. Then I discovered AT gear and it was a no brainer. That was about seven years ago. Once the Freeride came out allowing for Alpine boots in AT bindings, it definitely became an easy financial decision for AT over tele not even considering learning curve. Lots more options now. I don't think I'll ever go with tele for downhill skiing. I just wouldn't want to invest all that time in learning instead of ripping the terrain I love.

That said... I am currently considering light touring gear 3 pin style. Would be pretty nice to open the back door and just head out down the hill, over the field, up the hill, all around, and whatever. Lots of local spots would be pretty cool with a waxless setup. Probably try renting a pair of teles first before sinking the coin. I can really see the appeal to light BC touring on tele.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
freeheeln wrote
I think you are missing his point, which is to poke a little fun at telemarkers, including you, me and himself. Plus, I suggested that he post that here - otherwise, I would have. There is no more dedicated or enthusiastic telemarker than TD, with the possible exception of Harvey44 and my friend Holly. A telemarker made, and wore, that shirt. In Sweden, in the early 90s, at the Telemark World Championships, which as I understand it, was basically an excuse for a bunch of pinners to go ski in Sweden. I have been skiing freeheel for 30 years, off and on, and I will happily admit that it is a fundamentally silly sport. But fun as hell, so I am proud to be a Pinhead From Hell.

rivercOil wrote
That said... I am currently considering light touring gear 3 pin style. Would be pretty nice to open the back door and just head out down the hill, over the field, up the hill, all around, and whatever. Lots of local spots would be pretty cool with a waxless setup. Probably try renting a pair of teles first before sinking the coin. I can really see the appeal to light BC touring on tele.
Excellent plan, man. It is the thin edge of the wedge and an excellent way to get more out the local hills and valleys. Talk to Icelanticskier, he will know exactly what you need. He is a not-so-secret telemarker himself and a great advocate of the light BC setup. And, better yet, he works at a gear shop. Unless you have some great aversion to the Salomon brand, I would check out these skis, these Alpina boots, and get NNN BC Manual bindings to hold it all together. See you on the golf course!
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"I know Telemark Dave and he is no lingerlonger."

LOLz.  I actually have never met either, but I wanted to say it.  :)

I must respectfully disagree with choice of the NNN manual.

I'm a Rottefella Supertelemark guy:

Simple, totally bomber, no chance of freezeup.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey44 wrote
I must respectfully disagree with choice of the NNN manual.

I'm a Rottefella Supertelemark guy:

Simple, totally bomber, no chance of freezeup.
If he were winter camping, you would be right but otherwise, we will have to agree to disagree, even though I ski on the Super Telemark binding when schwacking. This is because I am using my precious Merrell Ultras, made in Italy, still going strong after all these years. Were I buying new gear, it would be NNN all the way, including NTN for lift-served tele. The NNN setup is lighter, strong enough and for ideal someone like rivercOil, who will learn fast and be light on his feet. The only time you would have to worry about freeze-up is when you ski all day and leave your skis stuck in snowbank all night. It is not an issue for the day skier.

Rotte Super Tele FTW!

(Note: those are not Merrell Ultras. I was experimenting last winter...)

Icelanticskier doing some very nice turns on NNN and lace-up boots:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
as the couple in the green "why cant they stay in the woods where they belong"
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
freeheeln wrote
freeheeln wrote
as the couple in the green "why cant they stay in the woods where they belong"
Aaah. OK, then. We were all being a little too subtle for our own good. Must be a telemarker thing.

Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
this thread was very volatile  in its inception way back when
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Excellent plan, man. It is the thin edge of the wedge and an excellent way to get more out the local hills and valleys. Talk to Icelanticskier, he will know exactly what you need. He is a not-so-secret telemarker himself and a great advocate of the light BC setup. And, better yet, he works at a gear shop. Unless you have some great aversion to the Salomon brand, I would check out these skis, these Alpina boots, and get NNN BC Manual bindings to hold it all together. See you on the golf course!
I've followed with interest the NNN related posts Icelantic has made on T4T. My research suggested that a 3pin/75mm system would be better for me. I'm all about the turn and while I wouldn't expect to be doing anything wild... I foresee more up and down on a small mountain and less golf course. The idea of kicking and gliding across a golf course is enough to make me look for my snowshoes. Besides, at 220 lbs, I hardly consider myself light on my feet and I can bully my skis around on alpine. I think for my needs, something a little more burly would be better. Ideally, I'd love to find someplace that rents out NNN and 3pin setups and try both out. Do touring centers rent out light touring setups not intended for the kick and glide paths? Seriously can't see myself getting into x-country.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
i also am a 3 pinner. thought NNN had too many pieces some rod in the boot that bent kicking steps that small slot on the binding icing clogging up. maybe im just too oldschool (or just too old)
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Sorry to all involved.

T.D.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I missed the lingerlonger connection?

Two points disparate points:

With regard to the original thread title, one thing I like about telemarking ... I can be very satisfied on a day like today when one trail (three trails, one way down, maybe 2 miles of skiing) is soft and bumped, with manmade snow.  While I grant that boiler plate sections are much tougher, those funky irregular bumps are a blast. On my last run I ditched my buttbag and danced a ballet. You shoulda seen me.

Second point is that I have had freezeup problems with NNN bindings. Granted it was long ago and it was just a standard NNN not a burlier BC, or the manual type.  The second (and final) time it was scary.  Five degrees was the high that day.  We had to keep moving to stay warm. We skied about 8 miles into a pond and took a short lunch break.

We both took off our skis for lunch and my friend couldn't get hers back on. I think the friction from the binding must have warmed it enough for snow/slush to collect inside, and when the ski came off it froze up.  The problem is that because the mechanism is primarily plastic we couldn't risk warming it on a fire.  While we had skied in boot deep snow in the ski track, walking would have entailed post holing in 3 feet of snow the entire distance.

Ultimately I warmed it with my breath enough to jam the boots back in the bindings, which I did while my friend was in her stocking feet. We skied back to the car and this time could not get the boots OUT of the binding. We drove home with her skis on the roof with her boots in the bindings.  I've never skied NNN since.

I've rarely had icing issues with the super telemark and all that's need to correct the issues is a scraper, or even a ski pole will do in a pinch.  I have super T bindings that I still use that are 20 years old. The are much tougher than the voile equivalent IMO.

For boots I'd always take a good leather model. Asolo Snowfield and Merrill Doubles were awesome but no longer made.  When the Merrill Doubles were discontinued I bought two brand new pairs in my size, so I am set for life.

There are nice plastic models now that are very warm and pretty sweet.

Scarpa T4

BTW I've seen that video of ICE.  IMO He is a telegod to pull those kinds of turns in an NNN binding. Mortal skiers could make those turns with a super T and the Scarpa TR boot.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp