Why is Hoyt's closed

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Why is Hoyt's closed

Grillman
It was groomed on Saturday and was a blast to ski on.  Then it was closed on Sunday and the report says that it is closed today.   Does anyone have any information?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Why is Hoyt's closed

Skidds
Mountain is just trying to save us from ourselves.  As the info board at the bottom of the Lookout Triple said yesterday......Hoyt's Closed (Icy).  Not that things softened much on Sat as it didn't get all that warm....but they softened enough for some trails to lock up overnight.

I was skeptical of the mountain closing trails with coverage because they were 'too icy'.  I'm a big boy, I know how to use my edges....why don't you let ME decide if something is too icy?

First let me say there were a lot of nice trails and great turns to be had yesterday.  That said, some of the covered trails yesterday looked like pure concrete.  Rock solid, with a sheen in some places, and barely any soft or edgeable snow to be found.  Yes, 'skiable' for many a seasoned Eastern expert....but a potential hazard for less accomplished skiers who would be likely to find their way there.

Call it pandering to the least common denominator, but I suppose it's better to close a trail than have patrol sledding people down if and when they lose control.
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
The board said that Willmington was icy...i skied it and it was fine.  I have seen it worse.

Ski patrol has been quick to shut down trails this year.  Last weekend Skyward was shut down....and except for the headwall, it skied fine.

hopefully it will snow and we wont have this issue till early April
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
If they say its not good that is good enough for me.  Patrol are the ones that would have to take a sled down it if something happened.

Of course Grillman it could be them darn lawyers keeping it closed
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
I was up there on Saturday, Hoyts and Wilmingon were fine compared to anything on the summit.  If they are relay closing trails for "icy" then they might as well close the summit chair.
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
In reply to this post by Z
You mean that release on the ticket doesnt work?

I was just asking what people knew....i know that we have had some serious accidents this year on the hill, but most of those have all been on the blue chairs.

I thought it was interesting that Hoyts was closed and lower sky and upper Mac were both open....they werent groomed either.

of course, we could just kill all of the lawyers...accept for those who ski...and grill
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Z
For the most part that is a correct statement.  I have seen a couple time this year when a trail could have been open.  I think that is more patrol had not been around recently to see it softened up.  I have ducked a few ropes, 90% of the time I agree the rope should have been up.  

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by evergreen
Dats larry.  Sharpen your skis.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
In reply to this post by evergreen
evergreen wrote
I was up there on Saturday, Hoyts and Wilmingon were fine compared to anything on the summit.  If they are relay closing trails for "icy" then they might as well close the summit chair.
I have to agree with this. Not sure what happened from closing Saturday to opening Sunday, but the trails on the summit had much more glare ice and sketchy conditions on Saturday. Edges or not it was tough to set an edge in certain places. Hoyt's was hardpack and skied up fluff but no ice. Totally edgeable. Maybe it set up overnight, but I didn't feel like it really ever softened. It was still 19 degrees at the summit of lookout at 2:30.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Grillman
Grillman wrote

of course, we could just kill all of the lawyers...accept for those who ski...and grill
+1  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time